Video: Fish: Randy Gregory as starter - Cowboys DE is the opposite of a coach-killer

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never understood why Gregory was so mismanaged last season. He has been a playmaker and everyone knows the Cowboys need all those they can get on the field. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field full time next season. Armstrong is a nice complimentary piece but Gregory can make a difference.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
In before the "hope he stays out of the trouble he can't get in anymore" posts. :D

Flamma

Reaction score
I never understood why Gregory was so mismanaged last season. He has been a playmaker and everyone knows the Cowboys need all those they can get on the field. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field full time next season. Armstrong is a nice complimentary piece but Gregory can make a difference.

Both are up for extensions this year or they're gone after 2021. I expect Gregory to be one of the few to get one, Armstrong will play his last season in 2021.

Jipper

Reaction score
I think he's most effective in his current role. He comes in with high energy when the O line he's against is a bit winded. If we increase his snaps, I think he will lose some effectiveness.

based on last years sample set I agree, but he had been out of the league a long time.

I think a full offseason and his legs back under him he will be better....maybe in between role player and starter...

fivetwos

Reaction score
Both are up for extensions this year or they're gone after 2021. I expect Gregory to be one of the few to get one, Armstrong will play his last season in 2021.
Wasn't Jerry hyping up Armstrong last year?

More than once I think.

Flamma

Reaction score
Wasn't Jerry hyping up Armstrong last year?

More than once I think.

It's a fire sale right now for the Cowboys. Who's getting an extension? Gallup? Are they picking up LVE's 5th year option? Gregory? Armstrong, Shultz? I don't know. What about Aldon Smith? We have to see what they do with Dak first. There are no good scenarios for the Cowboys.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the past, he's been a coach killer b/c you couldn't trust him to pass a drug test. Kinda hard figuring out the DE position not knowing if Gregory will be eligible to play.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a fire sale right now for the Cowboys. Who's getting an extension? Gallup? Are they picking up LVE's 5th year option? Gregory? Armstrong, Shultz? I don't know. What about Aldon Smith? We have to see what they do with Dak first. There are no good scenarios for the Cowboys.

Sure there are good scenerios. Just none of them involve Dak. Gallup should be traded. No on LVE's 5th year option. Gregory is a beast and now that the NFL isn't testing for weed, there should no more suspensions. Aldon, Shultz , and Armstrong are JAGS. There should be no problem upgrading. The defense can be rebuilt with money and better coaching. Dalton proved by the way he finished the season 3-1 that the offense can score without Dak.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
I think he's most effective in his current role. He comes in with high energy when the O line he's against is a bit winded. If we increase his snaps, I think he will lose some effectiveness.
He outperformed the backup role last year. So, we can't know for sure what he can do unless he starts.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I never understood why Gregory was so mismanaged last season.

And why Aldon Smith, a short timer coming back after 5 years, and who had clearly run out of gas in the back half of the season, was played so much *more* than Gregory or Lawrence.

It's like they were trying to drive Aldon's market value *down*.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's likely that Randy Gregory will be in better condition this year to withstand a full NFL season as a starter. There's a reason why he was limited in 2020. The rigors of a full NFL season is nothing to take for granted. He's likely been working hard during this offseason to fully prepare himself physically.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
"They" think Dorance Armstrong is the next superstar DE in the league. What have I been saying about the incompetence of the decision-makers on this team?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I am not sold on Armstrong yet, but Gregory over him, yes.
Armstrong shows some flashes as a pass rusher (under Rod), but in coverage he was horrible (under Nolan). But also that was part of Nolan's lame scheme. I am willing to see what he does in Quinns Scheme.