Twitter: Fish seems to think Earl Thomas is now in play

blueblood70

Reaction score
Normally, I'd agree. But the draft isn't what it used to be. The chances of getting some 7 year franchise players are low, especially in our position.

Next year, after we've fizzled out and gone 5-11 and Garrett is fired, THAT'S when you build through the draft
nothappening unless Zeke Smith and Dak are lost for the year..its not not even reality..we are a 10-6 team without even trying next year 11-12 wins if we have some luck with injurys etc..

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Okay you have corrected me on a point of fact. Does it detract me from the larger point I was making?

Wasn't my purpose. I've just seen the $4 million number thrown around so I wanted to make sure I was correct in understanding that it's $8.5. I thought if you had a reason for stating it was $4 million that it was possible I had it wrong.

My hope is that Dallas uses that $8.5 to shore up a weakness or two before the draft and lessen the need to draft for specific positions. I don't know that Thomas falls into that category because it would take a draft pick or more to acquire him. If we could get him for a fourth this year and a pick next year, I'd be more willing to do that because then we wouldn't need to address safety with any of our first three picks, which I currently think we need to do.

My problem is that we have four needs I'd like to see addressed in the first three rounds (and, really, in the first two), but we've only got three picks in those rounds.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Here's what I think.

If these two moves were connected, they'd have been connected. Thomas would have been traded for the minute that Bryant was cut.

As that did not happen, the two are not connected.
I'm not so sure. I think its a situation where they were probably going to move away from Dez regardless......but this timing does make you wonder....how was Jerry persuaded to do this NOW? Why not earlier in the offseason? There has to be a reason.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I'm kind of conflicted. Thomas is obviously light years better than what is currently on the Dallas roster and I have seen no indication that the Dallas scouting department could find a top five safety. But, he already referenced that Eric Berry deal (6 years, $78 million, $40 guaranteed) and would probably settle for nothing less. That is a lot of coin that might force us to part with one of our homegrown players.

Gaede

Reaction score
nothappening unless Zeke Smith and Dak are lost for the year..its not not even reality..we are a 10-6 team without even trying next year 11-12 wins if we have some luck with injurys etc..
Meh, I dont know.

I see a lot of red flags for 2018.

khiladi

Reaction score
Let’s stock young players for a direction we clearly don’t have..

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This. We don't even know if we have the QB position locked down and we want to trade a 2nd or multiple picks for a 29 year old safety who was talking retirement a year or two ago, already.

Very good point. He's won already. Now he's just looking for one more big pay day and prefers it would be with the Cowboys.

rkell87

Reaction score
Really?! The guy that's been linked with coming here in a new way every week since asking our coach to get him is linked to coming here again after we released someone?!!! You don't say! Boy I wonder what fresh take our fans have on this breaking story!

alicetooljam

Reaction score
For a 3rd maybe? Perhaps.

But I have reservations about giving $12-14M a year plus to a 29-year old safety.

A 2nd rounder is to valuable to this team right now.

Agreed. I wouldve gave a 2nd before we needed a wr....shouldve traded Dez for Thomas.

GORICO

Reaction score

hawk--- for me it seems Dallas forwent a June 1st release to get 12.5 million to release Dez now for only 8 million..its not for Zachs martin contract..cause they would have waited for June 1 to get more..its not for rookie contract cause they dont have to have money til July so
June 1st cut for 12.5 million...the only thing i see is they chose to release now for 8 million to use for free agent????