Twitter: Fish seems to think Earl Thomas is now in play

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
We need some heart and the defense is my only hope with staying relevant besides zeke on the offense. I would hate to see Dallas overpay for him though

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Earl Thomas' best season was five years ago and he wants to be the highest paid guy at his position.
OF COURSE we have fans who would give up the farm for him. :facepalm:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
We're not getting him. This is just nice PR to soothe over those angry at the Dez cut.
I don't think it's PR.

Now that She (Dez) is gone..

adding a leader like him for 2-3 years would be wise.

We do not have much experience on the defense.

If Lee goes down.

you know the rest.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Earl Thomas' best season was five years ago and he wants to be the highest paid guy at his position.
OF COURSE we have fans who would give up the farm for him. :facepalm:

You can always find people who will mindlessly overpay with other people's assets but that is irrelevant.

He is still a top FS even if he is not as good as he was 3 years ago. He has made the all pro team 5 of the past 6 years and missed in 2016 due to injury.

Paying him is not an issue the next few years particularly with Dez off the books.

I would go as high as our third but continue to play the waiting game for a better deal.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Why would Seattle have done that? Just because you or your team values said player, doesn’t mean another team does.
And you Seahawk fans were/are doing the same thing when it comes to Earl's value:
Sports Hernia from Seahawks.NET said:
Proven quality for proven quality. Zack Martin plus draft pick(s) I’d start to listen.
If that’s too steep, then hang up the phone, no Earl for you. Best scenario is extend him and find your cap relief in other areas.
Sports Hernia from Seahawks.NET said:
Zach Martin and a second.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
You take care of the LB position and add Earl at FS, all levels of the D would be at least solid-good.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
And you Seahawk fans were/are doing the same thing when it comes to Earl's value:
Not saying we as Seattle fans don’t. Every teams fans do.

Dez’s “perceived value” here is so much higher than in other team’s eyes or he would have been traded for something. I’m sure Dallas was trying to get something for him don’t you?

By saying that, I’m NOT trying to take a shot at Dez’s fans or Cowboy fans in general, just pointing out the reality of what happened. If you love Dez more power to you, as he as a huge part of your franchise for quite a while.

As for ET, the fellow in the post if you read it carefully said they can extend Earl or franchise him. I believe the point was “get your price” or extend him.

Seattle is in “cap tightness” for the 2018 season, they have a lot more cap space in 2019 and a ton more in 2020. They can extend ET and not kill their cap in the future if they so choose. ET is already under contract for 2018 so that money is already accounted for.

crashintonickdm

Reaction score
Earl Thomas will be a cowboy week 1.

It’ll cost the 50th pick. And I say pull the gd trigger. We haven’t had attitude on the defensive side of the ball since Roy/Woodson

Reactions: Ken

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Dez’s “perceived value” here is so much higher than in other team’s eyes or he would have been traded for something. I’m sure Dallas was trying to get something for him don’t you?
By saying that, I’m NOT trying to take a shot at Dez’s fans or Cowboy fans in general, just pointing out the reality of what happened. If you love Dez more power to you, as he as a huge part of your franchise for quite a while.

I don't think Dallas was shopping Dez at all. Dez, like Romo and DWare, is one of Jerry Jones' favorites and if he was going to trade Dez, he would've brought him in and discussed it. His favoritism for Dez is the reason why this decision took so long and he was adamant about not disrespecting Dez by asking for a pay cut.

As for fans overvaluing Dez: I don't remember anyone suggesting that Dez was worth a "1st and a 3rd". Do you?
Now, had you brought up Romo's "perceived" trade value last offseaon? LOL...that'd be a waay better example of Dallas Fans being delusional.

As for ET, the fellow in the post if you read it carefully said they can extend Earl or franchise him. I believe the point was “get your price” or extend him.
You're not familiar with that "fellow" from Seahawks.NET?

Seattle is in “cap tightness” for the 2018 season, they have a lot more cap space in 2019 and a ton more in 2020. They can extend ET and not kill their cap in the future if they so choose. ET is already under contract for 2018 so that money is already accounted for.
An extension is a two-party agreement. Schneider can't strong arm Earl into signing and rarely does the threat of franchise tagging a player (what you've proposed several times) turn out well if a player just doesn't want to extend on unsatisfying terms.

John Schneider's intentions this offseason seem pretty clear to me. He's pushing the reset button on the old LOB that was cultivated by Carroll into mini-dynasty, but has gotten old, more expensive and too malcontent relevant to their production. He's looking to build a LOB 2.0. A bunch of young, hungry guys like the original LOB were in 2010-2013 (which , BTW, was lightning in a bottle). The problem is, Schnieder is kinda short on draft picks this year..

For the record, I'm not on board with giving up a premium pick(s) for Earl and I certainly don't want to give him Eric Berry money ($13.5M+ APY).

BTW, what's your bowling average?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
No more than a 3rd this year and a 4th next year imo..
But watch them give away the farm to appease fans after yesterday.....

Uhhhh what? If they really cared about appeasing fans, they would not have cut Dez in the first place. You don't think they knew how beloved Dez was here and what the backlash would be from a lot of fans?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Earl Thomas will be a cowboy week 1.

It’ll cost the 50th pick. And I say pull the gd trigger. We haven’t had attitude on the defensive side of the ball since Roy/Woodson

If that is all it takes, do it. We suck at 2nd round picks and you are not finding a talent like Earl in the 2nd round anyways.

garyv

Reaction score
A leader who calls out pro bowl players on his own team starting controversy and in house rifts?
How would Garrett handle that
The thing is you now after Dez have save 8 mil in 2018 and 2019 put that too good use.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Younger doesn't mean better

I would take Earl Thomas in a heartbeat