Twitter: Fish thinks Cooper and DLaw are candidates for restructured deal

Creeper

Reaction score
Restructuring is a practical commitment to extend how long we keed someone. I didn't mean extending years in the contract itself. We don't want money paid but not yet hitting the cap to come due as dead money, so we try to put it on players we plan to keep.

I view Dlaw as less of a disaster. He's a good player who just hasn't been getting sacks. More sacks should come if we upgrade the DTs. But I do want to get out of that contract by getting another good DE to replace him. Maybe not, if the new tv contracts boost the general wage scale so he isn't a bad deal anymore.

Okay, I see what you are saying. It's a restructure which results in locking the team into the player for more years because getting out of the contract would be too big of a cap penalty to assume.

btw, I am not saying DLaw is a bad player. I am saying he has a bad contract which will get worse with a restructure. I acknowledge the theory that better DTs would take the heat off of Lawrence but I am not convinced. If he gets 6 sacks again in 2021 we will regret the restructure. But this is why I think the Cowboys are waiting to see if they can sign Dak. If they restructure DLaw that is a sure sign they will slap the franchise tag on Dak and no deal is getting done in 2021.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Exactly. How about not giving out those contracts to start. Cooper’s deal is moronic. DLaw is an average to good player being paid an elite contract. Typical GM Jerry deal.
Every year is the same.

Gotta have the whole band together for the SB run in front of us.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Okay, I see what you are saying. It's a restructure which results in locking the team into the player for more years because getting out of the contract would be too big of a cap penalty to assume.

btw, I am not saying DLaw is a bad player. I am saying he has a bad contract which will get worse with a restructure. I acknowledge the theory that better DTs would take the heat off of Lawrence but I am not convinced. If he gets 6 sacks again in 2021 we will regret the restructure. But this is why I think the Cowboys are waiting to see if they can sign Dak. If they restructure DLaw that is a sure sign they will slap the franchise tag on Dak and no deal is getting done in 2021.
I can't stand when DEs are judged on sack numbers only.

Give me a series ending pressure over a meaningless sack any day.

Lawrence has played very well the last few seasons, just hasn't put up huge sack numbers.

That all said, the contract is so exorbitant, he still underperforms it.

What we think is one thing.....but I promise you both the team goes right for him....first....when they need cap room.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
I'd only restructure Cooper and Martin.

Keep Lawrence's deal the way it is and allow some flexibility with moving on from him next season in case his production stagnates or declines.
^ this

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm fine restructuring Coop. With DLaw, I'd like to keep that easy-out in my pocket as he heads towards 30.

Lawrence is locked in for his last big year of guaranteed money in 2021, and that's cool. I expect him to have another great year in 2021. After that it gets more dicey, and that's exactly when I want to have my guarantees already paid and my out available. His contract is structured perfectly IMO.