Fisher: Cowboys wanted CB or Safety at 90

Sydla

Reaction score
I believe Fisher's (yeah, I know) report says they had McGovern rated over Hill and Thornhill. So when they took Hill at 58 over McGovern, they deviated from their board, ergo, they didn't go BPA at 58, instead injecting need at that point.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
How so?

They hoped that Will Harris or Layne fell to 90.

They didn’t.

So they took BPA (McGovern).

How do we know Harris or Layne weren’t ranked higher than McGovern on their board?
Had McGovern rated higher than hill and thorn hill. That’s how so

JBond

Reaction score
McGregor was our best value pick and sets us up great to move on from Collins next year. Maybe this year. That's a big deal.

We've already signed a SS to get Heath out of the box. Woods and Frazier should both be better.

There are still free agent safeties out there. Berry is still out there. Move Collins, save 10 mil, spend a chunk of that on Berry. I think that makes us a lot better team.

We're not done yet. If they wanted to draft a safety at 90, they'll still be looking at free agents.

Passing up the value McGregor gave would have been a mistake.
Barry is hurt and is refusing surgery. Why do you want an old broken player?

john

Reaction score
The smart move wouldve been to draft Thornhill at 58 and move up to take Hill. It wasnt costing a fortune to move up in this draft. Then again, Jerry always gets fleeced in draft day trades, maybe it wouldve....
I agree. I was screaming that during the draft. Draft Thornhill, then identify the teams that probably would take hill and use one of the 4ths to move up to land Hill. Then you can still get Michael Jackson or any long corner. But if everything is right about McGovern , this team will be glad it got him at 90. I like how they were discussing the pick and moving down and Jerry looks up at the board and says "lets keep Conner McGovern". With trade on table to drop 3 spots and pick up a 7th, Stephen looks up and says "do we like Connor?" Garrett leans over towards Jerry and Stephen and says "we love Connor!" Jerry looks up at the board and says "we have a high 2nd on him.... Lets go!"

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend like I know more than people whose jobs depend on the Cowboys being successful and McGovern will probably turn out to be a good pick. Hopefully at least he will be better than our last third round offensive lineman. But, there were two pretty highly rated safeties there with Hooker and Thompson and the DE Zach Allen all of whom were rated a little higher than McGovern on NFL.com. In addition to that counting Cooper, McGovern, and Pollard three of our first four picks were used on offense. Our offense should be dominant this year. I know I will be watching Allen, Thompson, and Hooker with interest in how well they turn out.
Since when do jobs count on the teams success?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Sports medicine center not withstanding Berry's injury is chronic in a place that will severely degrade performance his heel near the Achilles. And as of right now I guess berry is not on bard with an incentive laden deal or he would be here.

Berry is holding out for a better deal, as he should. Deals are made under time pressure, and he's not under it.

The sports medicine center means the Cowboys are in a better position to evaluate Berry than any other team. Unknowns equate to risk equate to less interest. We're in the best position to eliminate unknowns, and Jerry is more comfortable with risk than the rest of the league, and can afford to, as the owner/gm who doesn't have to seat getting fired.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Barry is hurt and is refusing surgery. Why do you want an old broken player?

Berry has a condition. So does Tyron. But they've both been multiple year All Pros. Life is full of trade offs. If you're unwilling to make them, you limit your opportunities.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I believe Fisher's (yeah, I know) report says they had McGovern rated over Hill and Thornhill. So when they took Hill at 58 over McGovern, they deviated from their board, ergo, they didn't go BPA at 58, instead injecting need at that point.

It's possible. So what? McClay said they had McGovern as a late second rounder. That's precisely where they took Hill (and would have taken Thornhill, if they hadn't take Hill) so it's not like they gave up great value by leaving McGovern there. Meantime, Hill plays a premium position (certainly in Rod's scheme) and, yeah, he fills a greater need. They also knew Hill and had invested a bunch of time in him unlike McGovern (with whom they'd had no pre-draft contact). He was their guy. So they took him ahead of a guy they had ranked a bit higher. What's the problem, given all the other factors in play?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Had McGovern rated higher than hill and thorn hill. That’s how so

So they took the BPA at a position of priority/need (Hill). Then at 90 they took BPA (McGovern) once the corner and safety they wanted were drafted before their pick.

Why do they have to rigidly follow a simplified approach (need vs. BPA)?

Jumbo075

Reaction score
And???

Jumbo075

Reaction score
It's possible. So what? McClay said they had McGovern as a late second rounder. That's precisely where they took Hill (and would have taken Thornhill, if they hadn't take Hill) so it's not like they gave up great value by leaving McGovern there. Meantime, Hill plays a premium position (certainly in Rod's scheme) and, yeah, he fills a greater need. They also knew Hill and had invested a bunch of time in him unlike McGovern (with whom they'd had no pre-draft contact). He was their guy. So they took him ahead of a guy they had ranked a bit higher. What's the problem, given all the other factors in play?

Its a purity issue, I think.

Sydla

Reaction score

And nothing....... follow the thread.

Someone said they admitted to not drafting BPA. CaPoly asked how so? I responded by saying that according to Fisher, the Cowboys had McGovern higher than Hill and Thornhill on their board. So when they took Hill over McGOvern, technically, they weren’t going BPA.

There was no underlying meaning to my post. Just an explanation of why it appears the Cowboys didn’t follow the BPA model some fans push (and suggest we use).

Sydla

Reaction score

There is no problem. You guys get way too defensive of the team.

Someone said the Cowboys didn’t go BPA in this draft. CalPoly asked why he would say that. I just stated that the OP based that on Fisher’s report that they had McGovern rated higher than Hill therefore, they took the lower rated played at 58 from their board. So technically they didn’t go BPA there. I offered no commentary as to whether that was a good or bad move on their part.

That’s it. Nothing more.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
There is no problem. You guys get way too defensive of the team.

Someone said the Cowboys didn’t go BPA in this draft. CalPoly asked why he would say that. I just stated that the OP based that on Fisher’s report that they had McGovern rated higher than Hill therefore, they took the lower rated played at 58 from their board. So technically they didn’t go BPA there. I offered no commentary as to whether that was a good or bad move on their part.

That’s it. Nothing more.

Maybe I need a Snickers.

JBond

Reaction score
Berry has a condition. So does Tyron. But they've both been multiple year All Pros. Life is full of trade offs. If you're unwilling to make them, you limit your opportunities.
Berry has not played in two years and has bone spurs rubbing his Achilles tendon. Good grief.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
So they took the BPA at a position of priority/need (Hill). Then at 90 they took BPA (McGovern) once the corner and safety they wanted were drafted before their pick.

Why do they have to rigidly follow a simplified approach (need vs. BPA)?
So thats what gets teams in trouble is reaching for need which they did with hill. They had thornhill rated higher and should have selected him.