Fisher: Is there an affordable way that allows Dallas to acquire veteran cornerback Stephon Gilmore?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by darthseinfeld, Apr 29, 2021.

1. darthseinfeld

darthseinfeld Team Carlos Watkins Zone Supporter

23,398 Messages
    25,321 Likes Received
    His $16.3M cap cost for New England would, in the event of a trade, be divided between the Patriots and his new employer. The $8.5 million of prorated signing bonus stays on the Pats' ledger, and then the remainder of $7.9 million - comes with him (depending on the timing of a $411,000 roster bonus).

So Gilmore's salary number for Dallas would be between $7.3 mil and $7.9 mil, depending on that roster bonus and how much of another wrinkle in his contract ($500,000 in per-game roster bonuses) is considered Likely to be Earned.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp...t-trade-and-gilmore?__twitter_impression=true

2. SeanLee50

SeanLee50 Well-Known Member

21,332 Messages
    35,334 Likes Received
    Yeah that’s a big no from me dawg

3. JW82

JW82 JJ21

3,452 Messages
    5,917 Likes Received
    personally, if they can get Gilmore without spending much draft capital I'd do it all day. I am of the school of give me a sure thing for 2 years over gambling on a rookie. Especially if teh contract is reasonable for those two years. Now you've filled your biggest need and still have all of your draft capital.

SeanLee50 likes this.
  4. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

21,080 Messages
    21,424 Likes Received
    You guys are not factoring in that he will want a big deal

No way

5. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

27,401 Messages
    30,071 Likes Received
    Trading for 30 year old CB's is dumber'n dirt.

6. JW82

JW82 JJ21

3,452 Messages
    5,917 Likes Received
    true, but if it costs you only a 4th rd pick and you have a top CB for only 1 year at 7mil isn't it worth it? I'd look at it as signing a top FA to a 1 year deal. Pats might be willing because it seems the cap hit for them would be a lot higher to keep him then we'd have to pay him. imo

The Dallas1575 likes this.
  7. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Well-Known Member

11,540 Messages
    15,672 Likes Received
    As a general rule, you don't make trades with the Patriots. They are smarter than you and probably getting the better end of the deal. If they are trading Gilmore, they probably know something you don't.

8. visionary

21,080 Messages
    21,424 Likes Received
    one year rentals are only for teams that are expecting a SB.

Longboysfan and MichaelWinicki like this.
  9. JW82

JW82 JJ21

3,452 Messages
    5,917 Likes Received
    fair

visionary likes this.
  10. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

45,193 Messages
    38,113 Likes Received
    If you make a few big moves like getting a Stephen Gilmore you could become a legit contender.

That being said, I'd stay away from him. Go young at the position and let Diggs grow with Surtain or Horn.

visionary likes this.
  11. visionary

21,080 Messages
    21,424 Likes Received
    The biggest benefit of draft picks is that you get cheap players for 4 years. I’d go Werner, LB OSU who could start next year

12. USArmyVet

USArmyVet Benched

2,740 Messages
    4,681 Likes Received

Much like the recent trade of QB Teddy Bridgewater to Denver wherein the Panthers are on the hook for much of his salary as part of the trade, Dallas in theory could agree to a trade wherein Dallas trades the #10 pick to NE for the #15 pick and Stephon Gilmore with NE agreeing to pay the majority of Gilmore's contract. However, Gilmore is only under contract for 2021 so if Dallas was going to agree to a trade involving Gilmore then NE would have to improve the trade offer to include another draft pick (perhaps a 3rd) to make it worth Dallas trading back as I do not see Dallas signing Gilmore (who turns 31 this September) to an extension that he would be looking for to stay in Dallas.

13. Hawkeye19

Hawkeye19 Well-Known Member

4,094 Messages
    10,696 Likes Received
    Awesome idea! See you there! Cowboys!!

[​IMG]

14. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

49,994 Messages
    54,646 Likes Received
    Was not so smart of them last year when the dumped Brady and handed TB a SB win. Just saying, are they as smart as everyone thinks, or was it just Tom.
    :laugh:

15. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

31,135 Messages
    54,233 Likes Received
    If Belichick is offering any CB in a trade, I pass on that. The man loves the secondary as much as any HC, including Carroll, and if he's not willing to pay what Gilmore wants, the Cowboys sure as hell shouldn't with their payroll. This is not the same thing as Jamie Collins or Chandler Jones.

16. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

12,137 Messages
    7,493 Likes Received
    Patriots are swimming in available cap. Why would they want to unload Gilmore for peanuts?

17. BigD_95

BigD_95 Well-Known Member

1,535 Messages
    1,465 Likes Received

But then we would move down and draft the top safety in the draft. Get a needed corner and safety

18. SeanLee50

SeanLee50 Well-Known Member

21,332 Messages
    35,334 Likes Received
    He’s on the last year of his deal and they likely won’t resign him

19. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

16,616 Messages
    18,711 Likes Received
    People pay for this crap.

20. calicowboy54

calicowboy54 Well-Known Member

899 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    i think if you get the patriots 15 and 3rd round pick + gilmore you do it.

gilmore for 2 years
    bpa at 15 44 and 3 3rd round pics.

yep sign me up