Fisher:The top five reasons to justify Dak as a $30M QB

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You know Coach, the first time I watched Aikman, I saw something in him and I truly believed that he would win a championship. I can't say that I believed the same, the first time I watched Prescott. I can't say that I saw the same thing when I watched Tony either. Didn't see it with Danny White. I really only saw it with Roger and Troy. Now, I'm not saying that it can't happen because it can and I'm not an authority but if your asking me, that's what I saw.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
MIN did that because that's what they had to do, they didn't want to give him that contract but show me the team with any leverage with their QB. The Cowboys are no different, they have to pay to play and his jersey is #2 in sales and don't think that doesn't play into it.

I actually stated that his jersey sells were a big factor.

So for me.. "Because we have to" and "Jersey sells" just aren't a good enough reason.

Why is nobody learning from the league trends with QB's on rookie deals and truly elite QB's taking pay cuts?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
“Won’t be as bad as it will be when he signs it”

LOL he specifically used the word “bargain.”

You’re the one twisting his words around, not me.

Bargain compared to what? His ability or other QB contracts?

You say ability.

I say other QB contracts.

InTheZone

Reaction score
...Sigh...

Has there ever been so many threads about any other player? I think not. So many trying to justify it's sad really.

One thread why he's the greatest, but then another contradicts by stating he will be the most improved, then another comparing to arod and Brady, then another contradicting by exposing major flaws in the red zone.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
...Sigh...

Has there ever been so many threads about any other player? I think not. So many trying to justify it's sad really.

One thread why he's the greatest, but then another contradicts by stating he will be the most improved, then another comparing to arod and Brady, then another contradicting by exposing major flaws in the red zone.

Sure.

We debated Quincy vs Hutch at nauseum.

Whether or not if Romo was any good.

TO had his day on Cowboyszone.

This is normal and the next guy will get this treatment as well on this site.

Nav22

Reaction score
Bargain compared to what? His ability or other QB contracts?

You say ability.

I say other QB contracts.
It’s both, of course.

If Fisher didn’t think Dak had the ability, he wouldn’t be implying that Dak will be worth more than $30 mil/year in 5 years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a reach but if you want to interpret it that way then go ahead.

I look at it as the market will be much higher in 5 years so Dak's 30 mill wont be as bad as it will be when he signs it.

Nobody said he isn't good. Of course Dak is good.
But we want great and that can't always be, sometimes good can work if they build a great team. With the right team, can he be good enough?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
...Sigh...

LOL..... This isn't even close to the worst. This is actually low key in comparison, IMO. Quincy Carter was the worst.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
That's not the only other option.

The Cowboys have a few options:

1) They could sign him now:

2) They could let him play out the 2019 season under his rookie deal.
  • If he plays well, you have two options
    1. Try to negotiate a long term deal or.......
    2. Tag him
  • If he plays poorly, you have two options
    1. Cut him free and look for another QB or...........
    2. Tag him while you look to draft another young QB
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
But we want great and that can't always be, sometimes good can work if they build a great team. With the right team, can he be good enough?

I don't see many teams building teams good enough to win with QB's that are overpaid.

Underpaid QB's are winning championships.

Aaron Rodgers, as great as he is, can't get it done because of that contract.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Sure.

We debated Quincy vs Hutch at nauseum.

Whether or not if Romo was any good.

TO had his day on Cowboyszone.

This is normal and the next guy will get this treatment as well on this site.
You forgot Romo vs. Henson, boy was I wrong on that one!!!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You forgot Romo vs. Henson, boy was I wrong on that one!!!

lol I don't even remember that.

It was more about Henson vs Vinny and Parcells being obsessed with Vinny when he had no upside.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Reason #1: In five years his contract will look like a bargain.

You don’t see how it’s a major compliment to a QB’s ability to say that in 5 years, $30 mil/year for him will look like a bargain?

If he wasn’t a good QB, would that be the case?

I don't think that statement has anything at all to do with how good or bad any given QB is. I mean, if you are saying that you buy into the whole, you have no choice in it thought process, it doesn't matter. It says nothing about the player because it could be any QB but because you have no choice............

Brax

Reaction score
Could you point me to the reason that had something to do with his high skill as a player?

I just see a bunch of other reasons that have nothing to do with his ability. Maybe I missed it.
Hope you bet a lot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see many teams building teams good enough to win with QB's that are overpaid.

Underpaid QB's are winning championships.
Can't use Brady as that is a huge exception. And even using the Patriots in talks about any contracts doesn't work because they're a one off.

You've got some teams with QB's in those 1st contracts but that is going to change and that happening is lightning in a bottle or these GM's wouldn't be paying QB's what they have to pay them.

The key to this will not be what they're paying Dak because some QB is going to get that. The key to me is what they're paying a DE and what they will be paying a WR and RB and LB and CB. Paying a QB 30M isn't a goat choker because that will be the going rate. Paying a DE 21M and a RB 15M is more to choke the goat.

It's not what they pay any one player because NE will do that. It is the too much to too few that is the danger and that's what the Cowboys are approaching. And those that think Booger's son has figured this out are going to be in for a surprise unless this team wins the championship within the window, then it becomes the cry of "we can't contend" because the secret isn't winning a SB, it's being a true consistent contender and there's only one of those.

Nav22

Reaction score
I don't think that statement has anything at all to do with how good or bad any given QB is. I mean, if you are saying that you buy into the whole, you have no choice in it thought process, it doesn't matter. It says nothing about the player because it could be any QB but because you have no choice............
Oh, so it has nothing to do with Dak’s ability?

So in 5 years, would $30 mil/year for, say, Cooper Rush, look like a bargain too?

Is that what you think Fisher is implying here?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Dak is not the issue, having a QB coach who wont use his QB effectively is the isse. if KM can do it great. put him to his strengths and build your offense around that.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Feasible alternative is to draft.

You may say that is ridiculous but what is just as ridiculous is paying mediocre talent elite money just because he is the only option at the time.

His 20ish TD's that he passes for will be easy to replace.

By whom, Jerry and Stephen? :muttley:

Let's not forget that in the same draft as Dak they tried to trade up for Paxton Lynch and then Connor Cook. Those two gems have combined for 5 TDs and 5 INTs in their entire careers.