Reaction score
Hes a 20 mil qb at best
Top 5 reasons
1. Kirk Cousins
2. Kirk Cousins
3. Kirk Cousins
4. Kirk Cousins
5. Kirk Cousins
Garoppolo getting $27M didn't help either. That set the bar for paying for "potential".

So the fact that Prescott gets $30M now is more due to a busted system and how important the position is.

You have teams paying $20-23M for players like Flacco and Alex Smith.

They need to just give a QB allowance to teams to allow them to remain somewhat competitive so that signing or extending a decent QB isn't a cap choking device to keep you from keeping other quality players.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Feasible alternative is to draft.

You may say that is ridiculous but what is just as ridiculous is paying mediocre talent elite money just because he is the only option at the time.

His 20ish TD's that he passes for will be easy to replace.

The Cowboys have had 7 QBs in the history of the franchise throw at least 22 TD passes in a season. Dak has done that all 3 of his NFL seasons. He is the best QB Dallas has drafted in 28 years, while they've made stronger pursuits of guys who turned out to be bums (including in Dak's draft). So to casually think good ol' Jerry can just grab another one any time he likes seems a tad optimistic to me.

People freak out about the money - OMG, $30 million - but the NFL is rolling in it. Gerald McCoy makes $13 million while Bob Lilly made $27,000 the year Dallas won their first SB. NFL money is flat out crazy today and QB is the most important position on the field. If a team has a good one they're going to pay him.

If you're going to spend your life holding out for a sure-fire, future hall of fame QB then get used to a lot of 5-11 seasons while you watch QB after QB bust, or walk away because you didn't think he was worth the money.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Cowboys have had 7 QBs in the history of the franchise throw at least 22 TD passes in a season. Dak has done that all 3 of his NFL seasons. He is the best QB Dallas has drafted in 28 years, while they've made stronger pursuits of guys who turned out to be bums (including in Dak's draft). So to casually think good ol' Jerry can just grab another one any time he likes seems a tad optimistic to me.

People freak out about the money - OMG, $30 million - but the NFL is rolling in it. Gerald McCoy makes $13 million while Bob Lilly made $27,000 the year Dallas won their first SB. NFL money is flat out crazy today and QB is the most important position on the field. If a team has a good one they're going to pay him.

If you're going to spend your life holding out for a sure-fire, future hall of fame QB then get used to a lot of 5-11 seasons while you watch QB after QB bust, or walk away because you didn't think he was worth the money.

Can you point me to the veteran QB that is making ridiculous money who is winning championships. Or a veteran QB that hasn't thrown for 30 TD's and is getting 30+ million dollars.

Paying a QB that is more bus driver then elite is just stupid and finding decent QB's is not as hard as it used to be. Especially in our system that relies on the Oline and Zeke.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Can you point me to the veteran QB that is making ridiculous money who is winning championships. Or a veteran QB that hasn't thrown for 30 TD's and is getting 30+ million dollars.

Paying a QB that is more bus driver then elite is just stupid and finding decent QB's is not as hard as it used to be. Especially in our system that relies on the Oline and Zeke.

Plus a more simplified Offense. Lots of College QBs who grow up running the same principles these days. I agree with you Catch, back in the day when NFL Offenses were more complex, in terms of what it asked a QB to do, it was tougher. Now, you have a lot more options to draw from.

JMO

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Plus a more simplified Offense. Lots of College QBs who grow up running the same principles these days. I agree with you Catch, back in the day when NFL Offenses were more complex, in terms of what it asked a QB to do, it was tougher. Now, you have a lot more options to draw from.

JMO

The thing is.. I'm a Dak fan. I'd like to keep him. But if you have to do mental gymnastics to validate paying him elite QB money then he is probably not worth it.

Dak's biggest strength to our team has been the value within his current contract.

He's been a really nice player for us making pennies.

Paying him elite QB money just totally defeats the purpose of having him as our QB and that purpose was maintaining a well rounded team.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The thing is.. I'm a Dak fan. I'd like to keep him. But if you have to do mental gymnastics to validate paying him elite QB money then he is probably not worth it.

Dak's biggest strength to our team has been the value within his current contract.

Paying him elite QB money just totally defeats the purpose of having him as our QB and that purpose was maintaining a well rounded team.

Listen, I get it Catch, I really do. I am probably real close to where you are on the subject of Dak. I mean, for me this is not personal. I like the guy, I think he's got a lot of attractive qualities, in terms of what he brings to the table. He's not all bad, he has some good things going for him but one of the biggest is that his deal works. It allows all the other pieces to fit, financially. He brings a long term financial security option that is critical to the make up of this team. You take that away and a lot of the pretty kinda goes away. I do understand the line of thought that says a player has to make the money while he can. I completely get it but I'm thinking that if and when Dak gets paid like a top QB in this league, you are going to see a lot of fans going off the deep end if he doesn't perform at an all world level and I gotta be honest, he just isn't that guy IMO. It's gonna be a drag to watch too.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I’d rather draft a new qb every 2-3 years until I actually found one worth paying market value to. $30 million may be the current market value for a franchise QB but who the hell ever let Dak and his camp claim he is that is the one who dropped the ball. This contract will never be a bargain because Dak isn’t and never will be good enough to earn even half of it. This whole thing has become a complete joke. I wish the team would tell him to pound sand and make him play this year for $2 million with the franchise tag hanging over his head as well.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Hes a top 15 qb. Dallas has no choice but to pay him tbh. Is he worth 30 mil? No but they have no choice

Sure they do. Make him play this year for $2 million and then franchise him if they want. That gets you 2 years for $32 million instead of $60 million with lots of big money still owed even if he doesn’t play well. After those two seasons, we will have a much better idea about what kind of qb he will be. If he isn’t worth it, let him walk with no cap hit and a comp pick coming back. If he proves he is truest a franchise qb, then pay him and it doesn’t matter if it costs more then because you know what you’re buying. Right now they would be paying a premium for a maybe.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Listen, I get it Catch, I really do. I am probably real close to where you are on the subject of Dak. I mean, for me this is not personal. I like the guy, I think he's got a lot of attractive qualities, in terms of what he brings to the table. He's not all bad, he has some good things going for him but one of the biggest is that his deal works. It allows all the other pieces to fit, financially. He brings a long term financial security option that is critical to the make up of this team. You take that away and a lot of the pretty kinda goes away. I do understand the line of thought that says a player has to make the money while he can. I completely get it but I'm thinking that if and when Dak gets paid like a top QB in this league, you are going to see a lot of fans going off the deep end if he doesn't perform at an all world level and I gotta be honest, he just isn't that guy IMO. It's gonna be a drag to watch too.

Completely agree..

Look at Tony Romo.. He was worth every penny of that contract IMO but just because he was worth it doesn't mean the entire team could function at a Championship level with him making so much money.

QB's on rookie deals and Super Elite QB's taking paycuts is what works.

If Dak get a big contract then our window will close relatively quick unless we do some incredible drafting.

Reaction score
Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
#1. Other starting QB's are getting paid near the same or more.
#2. ???
#3. Profit

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Doesn't it get old and boring bashing on Prescott at the slightest mention of him? Christ sake, give it a rest and find something else to follow.

Who is bashing him? People that don't think he's worth 30M per season?

HungryLion

Reaction score

30 million a year isn’t elite QB money anymore. Elite QB money is 35 mil a year.

What’s so hard to understand about that?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
30 million a year isn’t elite QB money anymore. Elite QB money is 35 mil a year.

What’s so hard to understand about that?

Regardless of what our definition of elite QB money is.

I'd like to draft a QB and use that money saved to sign actual elite position players over a mediocre QB.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Regardless of what our definition of elite QB money is.

I'd like to draft a QB and use that money saved to sign actual elite position players over a mediocre QB.

That’s an ok position to have, as long as you’re willing to admit that there is at least a 50% chance the QB you draft in the first, won’t even be as good as Dak.

So, your strategy is just as risky as paying Dak is.

Them

Reaction score
That's the thing, the demand isn't there. The Cowboys could Transition tag him and there might be 1 maybe 2 teams at most that would even consider offering him a contract. The Bengals and...…? And I highly doubt the Cowboys won't be able to match whatever that team offers him.[/QUOT

...I see no reason to play games with the QB that everyone knows will be their starting QB for the foreseeable future...Pay the man now before QB contacts go up any further...it may seem like a bargain later on...IMO...
C9WJyOg.jpg

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Completely agree..

Look at Tony Romo.. He was worth every penny of that contract IMO but just because he was worth it doesn't mean the entire team could function at a Championship level with him making so much money.

QB's on rookie deals and Super Elite QB's taking paycuts is what works.

If Dak get a big contract then our window will close relatively quick unless we do some incredible drafting.

Great posts in this thread.

Every team has the same cap. The team that wins is the one that gets the most value for that spending. Paying "market value" for all of your players will make you an average team, almost by definition.

If you are a Dak fan, I suppose you want him to get paid. If you are a Cowboys fan, you want every single player to take the smallest possible contract because that allows for the best possible team.