Twitter: Fisher tweet on Jerry Jones

MikeT22

Reaction score
Guys I misread this first too, but all this basically says is JJ expects someone with 1st round talent and red flags to be available. It doesn’t say the team is looking to draft a risk guy.

Notice how it says, JJ is “confident” that the “opportunity” will be there, that basically is an extremely obvious and simple take. All he’s saying is that type of player will be there (duh), he is not saying that’s the type of guy the team wants with its first pick.

SJ said they are looking for plug and play starters today as well, I think we know where the drafting responsibilities lie with the team recently,

1st round talent with red flags = risk

8FOR!3

Reaction score
The Jaylon Smith pick worked out great imo, if it's something like that then I'm all for it. If the guy has character issues, I'd stay away...

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

If that ain't smeared with the camouflaged slathered on drabness of of a deceptive feint snooker doodle ploy ,,,formulated to conceal the primary objective?,,, as it's baffling bizarre to chitter traffic otherwiseo_O

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with that.

I think the Jaylon pick has panned out.

Gregory not so much.

But Flozell & Lee were both good value picks.

I have a big problem with that approach.

We need a starter from that 2nd round pick. And a starter this season not in 2 years. To say we had a good draft because a player we took with a 2nd round pick is able to play 3 years after the draft is ridiculous. Thats not good drafting. Not that high in the draft.

Jaylon right now is a great player for us. But a 2nd round pick who wasnt able to fullfill a starting role in his first 3 years didnt pan out.

Lee is a great player you cant count on. You always have to have a good backup for him.

I am a fan of Gregorys potential. But right now he is a bust.

Same goes with DLaw. A player who right now looks good but was a no show for his first 3 years. You can afford such kind of drafting with your 4th rounder or lower. But again - not that high.

That is NOT the right appoarch drafting. Still JJ insists it is. How learn-resistant can someone be ?!

But that again is the blue lable approach JJ is after. Hope we dont follow him.

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a big problem with that approach.

We need a starter from that 2nd round pick. And a starter this season not in 2 years. To say we had a good draft because a player we took with a 2nd round pick is able to play 3 years after the draft is ridiculous. Thats not good drafting. Not that high in the draft.

Jaylon right now is a great player for us. But a 2nd round pick who wasnt able to fullfill a starting role in his first 3 years didnt pan out.

Lee is a great player you cant count on. You always have to have a good backup for him.

I am a fan of Gregorys potential. But right now he is a bust.

Same goes with DLaw. A player who right now looks good but was a no show for his first 3 years. You can afford such kind of drafting with your 4th rounder or lower. But again - not that high.

That is NOT the right appoarch drafting. Still JJ insists it is. How learn-resistant can someone be ?!

But that again is the blue lable approach JJ is after. Hope we dont follow him.

The big problem I have with your approach is that about the only position on this team where a 2nd rounder has a chance to be a starter is at Heath's spot.

Someone could probably make an argument for DT but I don't see it... And I don't see it anywhere else.

And then you're drafting for need and I don't think that's a solid approach.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The big problem I have with your approach is that about the only position on this team where a 2nd rounder has a chance to be a starter is at Heath's spot.

Someone could probably make an argument for DT but I don't see it... And I don't see it anywhere else.

And then you're drafting for need and I don't think that's a solid approach.

I think the way to approach the draft a binary thought process is not the way to do it successfull.

If you had a player you need and have him listed say 90% of the talent level a player has who is also on the board but you dont need him - which player do you draft ? Id say the one you need. Is that drafting for need ? I wouldnt say so. Its a rational pick. Life is always a compromise. And so should be your approach if you want to be successfull. People who are structured the simple way always look for the one simple solution and stick to it. So they dont have to think too much.

I see alot of positions we can draft in the 2nd round and have them being starters.

• FS or/and SF. Where i think our need is more at FS then SS.
  • DT: both 3 tech and 1 tech. I think we have a more legit starter at 3 tech then at 1 tech. Still the legit starter is more hurt then on the field. 1 tech we have more like backup/rotational guys.

Thats already 4 positions we could find starters.

• Then we need a CB bad. And if its just to be flexible in the Byron Jones negotiations. I could see us draft one and then at least be a starter at the slot position.
  • Then there is the planning for 2020. Lee will be almost for sure gone.
  • Lael Collins would like to get a new contract. We could use a new RT there.
  • We could also use this approach at the RB ...
  • .....heck even at the QB position.
  • RDE is a problem too.

I admit the last few positions i mentioned is not what i stated in my first post. But i do think drafting players who are able to replace others in one year still justifies a 2nd round pick. But thats only if it showes you have a plan! Just not 2 or 3 years later. Thats not good business. Its more of taking a risk than having a sustained plan. Thats more JJ then really being successfull.

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the way to approach the draft a binary thought process is not the way to do it successfull.

If you had a player you need and have him listed say 90% of the talent level a player has who is also on the board but you dont need him - which player do you draft ? Id say the one you need. Is that drafting for need ? I wouldnt say so. Its a rational pick. Life is always a compromise. And so should be your approach if you want to be successfull. People who are structured the simple way always look for the one simple solution and stick to it. So they dont have to think too much.

I see alot of positions we can draft in the 2nd round and have them being starters.

• FS or/and SF. Where i think our need is more at FS then SS.
  • DT: both 3 tech and 1 tech. I think we have a more legit starter at 3 tech then at 1 tech. Still the legit starter is more hurt then on the field. 1 tech we have more like backup/rotational guys.

Thats already 4 positions we could find starters.

• Then we need a CB bad. And if its just to be flexible in the Byron Jones negotiations. I could see us draft one and then at least be a starter at the slot position.
  • Then there is the planning for 2020. Lee will be almost for sure gone.
  • Lael Collins would like to get a new contract. We could use a new RT there.
  • We could also use this approach at the RB ...
  • .....heck even at the QB position.
  • RDE is a problem too.

I admit the last few positions i mentioned is not what i stated in my first post. But i do think drafting players who are able to replace others in one year still justifies a 2nd round pick. But thats only if it showes you have a plan! Just not 2 or 3 years later. Thats not good business. Its more of taking a risk than having a sustained plan. Thats more JJ then really being successfull.

I did say a potential starter in 2020, which yes would open up the field to several different positions.

I don't see the Cowboys spending a 2nd rounder on a type 1 DT.

And I count the safety position as one position... Especially with the decent play of Woods.

Big_D

Reaction score
All bets are off come round 4. But the top 3 should be used at all times on non headcases and non injured players. 3 Quality players a year.. anything beyond that is a nice bonus. But this team gambles way too much with these 3 picks. Once in a blue moon.. sure. Understood. But for the most part stay put and draft 3 solid. It's a pretty straightforward strategy. This 'wild-cattin' as only Jerry can put it, is downright moronic.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I did say a potential starter in 2020, which yes would open up the field to several different positions.

I don't see the Cowboys spending a 2nd rounder on a type 1 DT.

And I count the safety position as one position... Especially with the decent play of Woods.

Sorry, i read your post now 3 times. Where did you say in 2020 ?

You said the only position where a secound rounder had a chance to start is Heath's.

I gave you 5 positions without much thinking where a 2nd rounder could start. Doesnt matter if you think of the safety position only as one player or if the FO doesnt value the DT position. Thats a whole nother story and is more subjective then objective.

Then i gave you another 5 where a 2nd rounder would make sense if you plan for the next season and have a starter there.

This thread was about JJs post and the way he likes to spend this years 2nd rounder. Which to me is just ridiculous.

Again: there are so many fits for a 2nd rounder to be an instant starter on this team. I could go on with TE and WR.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, i read your post now 3 times. Where did you say in 2020 ?

You said the only position where a secound rounder had a chance to start is Heath's.

I gave you 5 positions without much thinking where a 2nd rounder could start. Doesnt matter if you think of the safety position only as one player or if the FO doesnt value the DT position. Thats a whole nother story and is more subjective then objective.

Then i gave you another 5 where a 2nd rounder would make sense if you plan for the next season and have a starter there.

This thread was about JJs post and the way he likes to spend this years 2nd rounder. Which to me is just ridiculous.

Again: there are so many fits for a 2nd rounder to be an instant starter on this team. I could go on with TE and WR.

I apologize because I thought I had posted that finding a guy who can start in '20 is more important than finding a guy who can start in '19.

In other words I'd rather have a guy who has a higher ceiling but may not play much in '19 due to a injury issue as opposed to a lower ceiling guy who can contribute right now.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

I have been saying this since January.

We are risk takers and with the success of the Cooper trade..

they will look for somebody who falls out of the first round and take him in the second.

They try to double-down with their picks once they have a solid first pick.

Cooper is their first pick.

Time to take a risk.

So start looking at who is dropping out of the first Rd and high second round and you have our guy.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I agree, what does that have to do with what I said lol

It's unlikely he's contemplating this type of "risk" opportunity presenting itself and not be referring to us taking advantage of the risk opportunity.

817Gill

Reaction score
It's unlikely he's contemplating this type of "risk" opportunity presenting itself and not be referring to us taking advantage of the risk opportunity.
Jerry hasn’t had drafting power in a few years and it won’t start in a draft with no first. Jerry likes to talk and this is a perfect example. Just like when Brandon Weeden threw the prettiest ball he’s ever seen. Him contemplating the risk does not translate into it becoming a reality, especially with SJ and Mcclay manning the draft.