Five Conclusions - #1 Promote Rod Marinelli to Head Coach, immediately.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Rod Marinelli is happy where he is at this stage in his career, a DC.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Seeing how his last year in Detroit was a 0-16 year and that was 6 years ago and he is now 65, I think Rod has seen the last of his head coaching opportunities.

I don't want Rod as HC but I don't think what he did in Detroit means he'd fail here.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Team wins? Start your fire-the-head-coach thread! Like the other points, except I do think the reaction to Murray's good production needs to be tempered until he stops putting the ball on the ground.

movaughn88

Reaction score
Other than the first point I agree. I think you're being agenda-driven in your allocation of credit here. True, maybe I am as well, but hear me out.

Yes, Garrett has made some bad decisions in the past, but I think it's fairly well evident that Garrett is the main reason that McClain is here. He sought out Saban, who he has a close personal relationship with, and asked him about Rolando. He reported to the front office on it. Let's just say if this was a sales team he would get the credit for sourcing that trade. He is on record as being a driving force in getting a lot younger on the defense in general which is one of your other points.

I also understand that due to the Cowboys teams he played for in the 90's, he's dreamed of this type of offensive line for years, so if any credit for those draft moves is doled around, he gets some and Marinelli gets zero.

I'm certainly not saying RM gets no credit for cooking with some goods that no one really thought were brand name, but discounting Garrett in the positive developments we are seeing on the field is biased.

plymkr

Reaction score
You lost me at #1.

I for one appreciate the starcraft 2 references. Being an avid starcraft 2 player it is painful watching a 7 year old play that game. It's like watching someone with a lot of money and resources with no clue how to apply it to life. Kind of like watching a head coach playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Or a head coach who somehow finds ways of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Fortunately that didn't happen yesterday.

My 2 cents on Marinelli is he is the best Defgensive coordinator since Dave Wandstadt (sp). I get frustrated with Garret but I'm not ready to promote Marinelli to HC quite yet. But I really don't want to lose him in the offseason. With the amount of talent, or lack thereof on defense, and with how they played yesterday is a testament to Marinelli's skill level. If you twisted my arm and said that at the end of the year we have to make a decision to keep Garret or lose Marinelli, I'd have to keep Marinelli. Garret doesn't impress me on game day but I am impressed that he has Jerry's ear when it comes to drafting. Dallas as a franchise has never drafted 3 o linemen in the first round like we have under Garret. So Jerry is doing something different with Garret that he didn't do with anyone besides Johnson. So on that note Garret is invaluable cuz we don't want Jerry being the only voice on draft day or with free agents. Now on game day Garret can be frustrating with his decision making. So if you put a gun to my head, and please don't by the way, Garret and Marinelli have shown they do not have quite what it takes to be a successful head coach. One coach, Garret, Jerry listens to. The other Coach, Marinelli, gets the most from the less talented players. So I want to see how this defense stacks up against offenses better than the titans. It we walk away with the same defensive perfomance against seattle, washington, New Orleans etc., then that could change a lot of minds about M being the head coach.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
You've got to love the reactionary naivete of youth. I still remember when he was sure Miles Austin was better than Dez.

Shoot I remember who he was 100% certain that Austin was the best WR in the NFL...EVER. Better than a guy named Jerry Rice.

This first point in the OP's post is exactly why people shouldn't be allowed to drink until they're old enough to know the responsibility of doing so. That first point was as jumbled a mess of thoughts as I've ever seen on these forums.

I'm not Garrett fan but I certainly don't want Rod as the HC.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I believe once OScan comes back, he would like to take his title as best defensive player back.

waving monkey

Reaction score
After watching yesterday's game and letting it sink into my thoughts over the succeeding hours, I've drawn five conclusions -
  1. After yesterday's game I had one huge takeaway - we should fire Jason "ice the more accurate kicker in the NFL" Garrett, who always seems to come up with "great ideas", which never work, like a seven year old playing Starcraft II deciding to only build up his defensive units. These "great ideas" are always ridiculous and obscene, like running the same exact play four times in a row, passing each to Martellus Bennett in the endzone. I could just picture the clown sitting there thinking "No one would ever run the same play in the end-zone two times in a row, let alone three, and forget about four! They won't be able to stop it!". That type of logic doesn't work in StarCraft II, and it doesn't work in the NFL. I would love to see us fire Garrett and promote Rod Marinelli to be the 9th Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys. He took over a unit that could only be described as a joke, removed the three of the best four players, lost the other (S. Lee) to a season ending injury, as well as the high-profile draft pick (D. Lawrence) for a large number of games. On top of that the best cornerback on the team was suspended for four games (O. Scrandrick). With all of these set-backs, he built off of a pile of burnt trash (our unit of scrubs), comprised of players that analysts hailed as "would struggle to make other teams' practice squads", and turned them into a legitimate top 15 defense. It might not be Rome, but relative to last seasons defense it is at least Athens. I have no earthly idea how he pulled it of, but I know this, his "great ideas", like signing Melton and trading for McClain, are actually great ideas. There is no need to make a splash pursuing Jim Harbaugh or bringing Jimmy Johnson/John Gruden out of mothballs, Rod Marinelli is not only the defensive coach we needed, but the Head Coach we need.
  2. Rolando McClain is the defenses best player. Who wouldn't have loved grabbing McClain and Lee back in 2010? I know I would've. We stole him from the Ravens (as I so gracefully proclaimed with an all-caps post). However, one problem remains - he is a free agent after this season. Let's lock him up before the price gets too high.
  3. Building off of #1 & #2, with another off-season, a healthy Lawrence and Lee, and an improved group of young players across our defense, plus McClain continuing to improve towards his potential - next year we could have a scary good defense to go along with our high octane (running?) offense.
  4. DeMarco Murray is a stud. As long as he is healthy we can win any game. Romo looks like he has lost a step from the "scramble around for 23 seconds until Patrick Crayton get's open for a millisecond and I zoom a 36 yard ball into the endzone" era, but he is still a top-flight QB. The defense wasn't respecting the run in week one, and even week two they barely did. After two weeks of Murray running all over the field defenses will now have to respect the run, which will ease coverage and allow Romo to shred defenses through the air as well... as the virtue of a strong running game leading to a strong passing game, all enabled by #5, who would've guessed? (besides almost everyone)
  5. This Offensive Line is the best we've had in well over a decade. Props to all involved. Frederick, Smith and Martin in particular are studs.

Props to the GM for making it happen

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
he built off of a pile of burnt trash (our unit of scrubs), comprised of players that analysts hailed as "would struggle to make other teams' practice squads", and turned them into a legitimate top 15 defense.

A legitimate top 15 defense, and we are sure of this after 2 whole games?

2 games must really tell us a lot. Our DC who laid an 0-16 in Detroit should be our HC starting with game 3. Got it. LEGITIMATE top 15 defense. Got it. Rolando is the best ever even tho he just unretired after lacking motivation and commitment to the game and we need to sign him now to a long term deal. Got it. And whatever else was posted. Got it.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to buy whatever Jerry may be selling before Im buying anything in the OP. From what I can tell here, Jerry handles the JW Blue Label far better than the OP.