CFZ Five new big differences in Cowboys Offenses in 2022

quickccc

Reaction score
Going into the 2022 season .. what have we added either player wise or coaching wise that will be
the key big difference(s) on the Cowboys Offense this year ?

Some may say Pollard, but let's face it, ..we just dunno what OC Kellen is gonna do with the RBs in terms of improvement and better utilization,.imo.

1) Tyler Smith
2) Jalen Tolbert
3) Terrence Steele
4) Jake Ferguson
5) FG Jonathan Garibay ( rookie Tex Tech) vs Lirim Harullahu

- With Tyler, i think it's gonna be a double-edge sword here, club hopes he'll be up to starting at LG spot,
but i really do also see him flex to LT for an injured Tyron Smith at some point this year.
Expect him to see time at both LG and LT in camp.

- Tolbert also will be multi-tasked as a rookie.- both in slot/3rd WR and outside, Camp will decide Tolbert
vs vet James Washington. With Gallup out for some time, we''ll need both- we'll need depth. Someone
stepping up ala Ceddy Wil in '21.

- Steele will be a 17 game starter now. Time will tell if he holds up or wear down as he plays.
And can he hold his own vs better edges without double team, chip help. With no Collins this
decides if he gets a new contract ..or we look for a new RT starter.

- Just as '21, i'm already concerned about the FG situation with injured Greg K, we walk into this camp
with rookie unknowns, inexperienced FG kickers
I expect an adventure. And much will be placed on SP coach Bones Fassel

- Ferguson is a wait and see, how he runs and moves, how he operates vs man, catches on quickly
Dunno if the backups in preseason will give him much chance. Plus Schultz is extremely durable.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Big? New?

Ferguson has Shultz in front of him.
We've seen Steele can play a bit.
But we will be counting on Tyler, Tolbert and a new kicker to contribute. If those three end up playing nicely we could make the playoffs easily.

Tolbert...
74 catches
5 touchdowns
682 yards

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Going into the 2022 season .. what have we added either player wise or coaching wise that will be

Some may say Pollard, but let's face it, ..we just dunno what OC Kellen is gonna do with the RBs in terms of improvement and better utilization,.imo.

1) Tyler Smith
2) Jalen Tolbert
3) Terrence Steele
4) Jake Ferguson

- With Tyler, i think it's gonna be a double-edge sword here, club hopes he'll be up to starting at LG spot,
but i really do also see him flex to LT for an injured Tyron Smith at some point this year.

- Tolbert also will be multi-tasked as a rookie.- both in slot/3rd WR and outside, Camp will decide Tolbert
vs vet James Washington. With Gallup out for some time, we''ll need both- we'll need depth. Someone

- Steele will be a 17 game starter now. Time will tell if he holds up or wear down as he plays.
And can he hold his own vs better edges without double team, chip help. With no Collins this

- Just as '21, i'm already concerned about the FG situation with injured Greg K, we walk into this camp

- Ferguson is a wait and see, how he runs and moves, how he operates vs man, catches on quickly
Dunno if the backups in preseason will give him much chance. Plus Schultz is extremely durable.
Just hope Moore does not run out the Garrett 2.0 offense from the 1990s again!
Yuck

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

1) Tyler Smith
2) Jalen Tolbert
3) Terrence Steele
4) Jake Ferguson

Steele played 912 snaps in 2021 and 970 in 2020.

quickccc

Reaction score
Steele played 912 snaps in 2021 and 970 in 2020.

he wasn't good in rookie year in 2020 ..and played a handful of both RT and LT, respectively in 2021

So he already has a head start with experience ... now we see if he can go full scale starting for 17 str8 games
without having the need for scheme help.
That's gonna be imperative in the last minutes of a come from behind to win game.

quickccc

Reaction score
i would've like to mention vet FA James Washington but missing all of the mini camps probably has already
put him in a behind mode. Hopefully the injuries are in the past and he can hit the ground running come camp
opening.

We will really need the depth and the NFL experience would help a lot. Some think his run skills and over top of defense ability
will come in handy for us.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

1) Tyler Smith
2) Jalen Tolbert
3) Terrence Steele
4) Jake Ferguson

I need to see the new guys play in PS 1st and we should see some starters too,
they have some interesting new rookies.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

1) Tyler Smith
2) Jalen Tolbert
3) Terrence Steele
4) Jake Ferguson

JMO, of course, but:

1. I think Tyler Smith will be a pretty big upgrade at LG. He is a mauler with a bad attitude and much of his issues with penalties should be mitigated by playing inside instead of out at tackle. I love what he brings to the left side. He will do things that Williams never could. As for him splitting time between LG and LT… I expect him to practice at both in camp but to stay at LG all season long once the games start to count. I think they’ll find a swing tackle in either Ball or Waletzko.

2. There’s no way to call Tolbert an upgrade to what Cooper brought to the WR room. Not at this point. However, I really do like Tolbert a lot. A whole lot. I actually made some mock drafts with him as Dallas’ second round pick. I thought that is about where his talent said he should go. Third round was great value for him. What I do expect right off the bat with him though, is to be very good in the locker room and to bring much more toughness, energy and effort than Amari did. There is something that two NFL team’s didn’t like about Cooper, and I think toughness and energy is a big part of it. As for the production, yeah, I expect Tolbert to contribute a lot as a rookie. I truly think his numbers will be very good for a 2nd/3rd WR. Time will tell.

3. Steele can play. We’ve already seen that. He is much better at RT than LT, so I’m glad he’ll be on the right side. And he is everything the team wants as far as character and work ethic. Just watch the game last season where Steele caught a TD on a tackle eligible play. Watch how his team mates - particularly the other four OL - reacted to it. Steele was mauled by the OL congratulating him. They were thrilled for him. McCarthy said last offseason that Steele was one of the hardest working guys on the team. His attitude, effort and reliability are everything that Collins’ was not. IMO, Steele will be an upgrade to Collins.

4. I truly think that Ferguson will be an upgrade to what Dallas had behind Shultz last year. Easily. He was a very good get that late in the draft. His toughness and football smarts will be apparent early on I think. As a matter of fact, If Shultz goes out a few games after getting nicked up, I wouldn’t be surprised for Ferguson to play a huge role in the offense and make it very tough for Dalton to get his starting spot back. One of my favorite picks in this draft, and I don’t think he’s getting enough attention heading into camp. However, I don’t think it’ll take him long to start being talked about more.

5. Garibay is a good kicker. Will he hold up to the pressure of camp though? We don’t know yet. Of your five players you listed, this is the one that I’m most concerned with. All we can do is wait for camp and see how he does. I hope he wins the job.

There is no doubt in my mind that the team focused on toughness, aggression, and physical play in this draft. The players they took all are loaded with those three things. They all love the game and are run-through-a-wall types. Smith is just a bully and Waletzko is even more so. They all have great locker room personalities that add to the collective desire… not take away from it. They are the opposite of the just playing for a paycheck type.

They all share a physical, aggressive nature that is just too coincidental to not be a focal point.

It is early yet, and there is a lot to prove for these rookies…but that is my take at this point.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JMO, of course, but:

1. I think Tyler Smith will be a pretty big upgrade at LG. He is a mauler with a bad attitude and much of his issues with penalties should be mitigated by playing inside instead of out at tackle. I love what he brings to the left side. He will do things that Williams never could. As for him splitting time between LG and LT… I expect him to practice at both in camp but to stay at LG all season long once the games start to count. I think they’ll find a swing tackle in either Ball or Waletzko.

2. There’s no way to call Tolbert an upgrade to what Cooper brought to the WR room. Not at this point. However, I really do like Tolbert a lot. A whole lot. I actually made some mock drafts with him as Dallas’ second round pick. I thought that is about where his talent said he should go. Third round was great value for him. What I do expect right off the bat with him though, is to be very good in the locker room and to bring much more toughness, energy and effort than Amari did. There is something that two NFL team’s didn’t like about Cooper, and I think toughness and energy is a big part of it. As for the production, yeah, I expect Tolbert to contribute a lot as a rookie. I truly think his numbers will be very good for a 2nd/3rd WR. Time will tell.

3. Steele can play. We’ve already seen that. He is much better at RT than LT, so I’m glad he’ll be on the right side. And he is everything the team wants as far as character and work ethic. Just watch the game last season where Steele caught a TD on a tackle eligible play. Watch how his team mates - particularly the other four OL - reacted to it. Steele was mauled by the OL congratulating him. They were thrilled for him. McCarthy said last offseason that Steele was one of the hardest working guys on the team. His attitude, effort and reliability are everything that Collins’ was not. IMO, Steele will be an upgrade to Collins.

4. I truly think that Ferguson will be an upgrade to what Dallas had behind Shultz last year. Easily. He was a very good get that late in the draft. His toughness and football smarts will be apparent early on I think. As a matter of fact, If Shultz goes out a few games after getting nicked up, I wouldn’t be surprised for Ferguson to play a huge role in the offense and make it very tough for Dalton to get his starting spot back. One of my favorite picks in this draft, and I don’t think he’s getting enough attention heading into camp. However, I don’t think it’ll take him long to start being talked about more.

5. Garibay is a good kicker. Will he hold up to the pressure of camp though? We don’t know yet. Of your five players you listed, this is the one that I’m most concerned with. All we can do is wait for camp and see how he does. I hope he wins the job.

There is no doubt in my mind that the team focused on toughness, aggression, and physical play in this draft. The players they took all are loaded with those three things. They all love the game and are run-through-a-wall types. Smith is just a bully and Waletzko is even more so. They all have great locker room personalities that add to the collective desire… not take away from it. They are the opposite of the just playing for a paycheck type.

They all share a physical, aggressive nature that is just too coincidental to not be a focal point.

It is early yet, and there is a lot to prove for these rookies…but that is my take at this point.
3-2.gif

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Smith is already an upgrade over Williams.
2. Tolbert along with Washington easily replaces Wilson and then some. Question is can Lamb be a better #1 than Cooper. Signs points to yes
3. Steele has out played Collins the past two years, I think he is ready for 17 plus games.
4. Ferguson is easily TE #2, but keep an eye out on McKeon, they seem to like him as well.
5. K, Garibay may have some rookie moments, but will the other K they just signed give him some TC competition. This is a big unknown right now as to how this turns out.

conner01

Reaction score
he wasn't good in rookie year in 2020 ..and played a handful of both RT and LT, respectively in 2021

So he already has a head start with experience ... now we see if he can go full scale starting for 17 str8 games
without having the need for scheme help.
That's gonna be imperative in the last minutes of a come from behind to win game.
Steele played fairly well in 2020 at RT but struggled at LT. He looked solid in 900 snaps last year and being able to concentrate on just RT should help. And don’t discount the fact he’s about to be up for a contract. Money is a mighty good motivator

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

FYI, here is that Steele touchdown. Watch the other linemen after he scores… you can tell that he’s well liked among his line mates. (click watch on YouTube to see the video.)

conner01

Reaction score
1. Smith is already an upgrade over Williams.
2. Tolbert along with Washington easily replaces Wilson and then some. Question is can Lamb be a better #1 than Cooper. Signs points to yes
3. Steele has out played Collins the past two years, I think he is ready for 17 plus games.
4. Ferguson is easily TE #2, but keep an eye out on McKeon, they seem to like him as well.
5. K, Garibay may have some rookie moments, but will the other K they just signed give him some TC competition. This is a big unknown right now as to how this turns out.
They really seem to like McKeon
He’s gonna be a guy to watch in camp
Obviously they seen potential

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
They really seem to like McKeon
He’s gonna be a guy to watch in camp
Obviously they seen potential
They really do seem to like McKeon. I do too. Before they took Ferguson in the draft, I thought Dallas would be fine with McKeon as the #2 TE.

I can very easily see a scenario where Shultz is gone after this season and Ferguson and McKeon are the #1 and #2.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

1) Tyler Smith
2) Jalen Tolbert
3) XXXXX Terrence Steele
4) Jake Ferguson

Steele is not an addition.

Versus the additions, lost Cooper, Collins, Williams, and Wilson.

We're bringing in 1 starter, and losing 3 and one role player in Wilson who really did produce for us. We'll be very lucky if Tolbert can match Wilson's numbers.

We're certainly taking a hit on oline and WR depth.

The potential pluses are at RB, where Zeke may be healthy, and Pollard may be used properly.