Flamingo Euthanized After Hit By Rock

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/22/us/flamingo-zoo-student-rock-trnd/index.html

A flamingo in an Illinois zoo had to be put down after a child threw a rock at it
By Christina Maxouris, CNN
Updated 3:22 AM ET, Wed May 22, 2019

(CNN) A Miller Park Zoo flamingo was euthanized Monday after an elementary school student threw a rock inside the animal's exhibit.

A representative from the Bloomington, Illinois zoo told CNN affiliate WMBD the rock broke the flamingo's leg and caused injuries that led to it being put down.

The zoo said it's working with the student's family to make sure this is a learning experience, WMBD reported.

The greater flamingo exhibit at the zoo opened in June 2016, according to the city of Bloomington.

Click here for the rest of the article.

Obviously, I am getting old and must have traveled here from a distant planet. I remember a time when the only thing visitors did at the zoo was gawk at the animals. Nowadays, it seems like there are more and more people (I do not care if they are children or not) purposefully riling up zoo animals into rages, sneaking or falling into animal enclosures, etc.

Today, it is mortally wounding zoo animals with rocks. What is next? "Breaking News! Active Shooter At Zoo! No Visitors Injured! Reported Among The Dead And Injured Are Gorillas, Giraffes, Antelope, 2 Dozen Macaws, Lions, Tigers, Bears, Oh For Heaven's Sakes!"

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Failure by the parents. The kids parents probably spend their day on social media and or playing games and ignore the child.

Parents need to teach their kids what result of their actions can mean.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

A flamingo in an Illinois zoo had to be put down after a child threw a rock at it

(CNN) A Miller Park Zoo flamingo was euthanized Monday after an elementary school student threw a rock inside the animal's exhibit.

A representative from the Bloomington, Illinois zoo told CNN affiliate WMBD the rock broke the flamingo's leg and caused injuries that led to it being put down.

The zoo said it's working with the student's family to make sure this is a learning experience, WMBD reported.

The greater flamingo exhibit at the zoo opened in June 2016, according to the city of Bloomington.

Obviously, I am getting old and must have traveled here from a distant planet. I remember a time when the only thing visitors did at the zoo was gawk at the animals. Nowadays, it seems like there are more and more people (I do not care if they are children or not) purposefully riling up zoo animals into rages, sneaking or falling into animal enclosures, etc.

Today, it is mortally wounding zoo animals with rocks. What is next? "Breaking News! Active Shooter At Zoo! No Visitors Injured! Reported Among The Dead And Injured Are Gorillas, Giraffes, Antelope, 2 Dozen Macaws, Lions, Tigers, Bears, Oh For Heaven's Sakes!"
It's probably just reported more now, thanks to the internet, but there's also the possibility that back in the day, ANY adult could tell a child to put the rock down, stay away from the wall, etc. Nowadays, even the parents have to be careful about scolding their own child in public.

kskboys

Reaction score

That's because we are teaching our kids that there are no repercussions for their actions. Sad day. The kid will get a talking to, will nod a lot to appease the adult, and will walk away laughing. He'll tell his classmates how he got away w/ it. So, then all kids will think such actions are fine. Circle of idiocy.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Some kid is a piece of crap for doing that. I hope his parents lay down the law.
When I was a kid, I threw a rock toward some geese that we're swimming in the lake. I never thought I'd actually hit one, but sure enough, got one right in the head. It turned upside down for a few seconds, then came up and swam away. I felt horrible, and still do. Had my mother been there, she would have told me not to throw the rock, or barring her seeing it in time, she would have beaten my butt.
That's because we are teaching our kids that there are no repercussions for their actions. Sad day. The kid will get a talking to, will nod a lot to appease the adult, and will walk away laughing. He'll tell his classmates how he got away w/ it. So, then all kids will think such actions are fine. Circle of idiocy.
Maybe he'll feel true remorse, like I did.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It is all about the lack of parenting these days from teaching do’s and dont’s to discipline. Welcome to the age of entitlement and social media :thumbdown:

Many years ago, I was playing golf and hit a tee shot off the 2nd hole. Who would have thunk that I hit a driver right into a storks neck 50 yds away. He had a baseball size lump in the middle and he couldn’t even hold his head up.

I am not sure what happened to it but it ate at me the rest of the day........shot well over a 100 :laugh:

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is all about the lack of parenting these days from teaching do’s and dont’s to discipline. Welcome to the age of entitlement and social media :thumbdown:

Many years ago, I was playing golf and hit a tee shot off the 2nd hole. Who would have thunk that I hit a driver right into a storks neck 50 yds away. He had a baseball size lump in the middle and he couldn’t even hold his head up.

I am not sure what happened to it but it ate at me the rest of the day........shot well over a 100 :laugh:

LOL.

I remember one really hot muggy summer day while serving in S. Korea.
A few buddies and I were tasked to cut some grass, weed eat and sweep up an area around the barracks.
We decided We would each do a section of the cutting while the other sat in the shade. It was really hot that day.

I was cutting and heard a loud noise like it hit a rock but did not think anything and kept going.
When I got done with my area I looked over to where the other guys were waiting and nobody was there.

I grumbled some but went on and finished mowing some of the other areas figuring they would be back.

They never did show back up so I finished the other tasks and started going back to the barracks to get a shower and finally seen the guys coming
out of the troop medical clinic. I asked why they left me there alone.
Turns out what I hit was a rock and the rock flew out and knocked one of the guys in the side of his head and he had to go get some stitches. Thankfully it was just stitches. But I felt bad about it.
The guy who got hit said...well at least I got to sit in an air conditioned area instead of having to be out mowing lol.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
When I was a kid, I threw a rock toward some geese that we're swimming in the lake. I never thought I'd actually hit one, but sure enough, got one right in the head. It turned upside down for a few seconds, then came up and swam away. I felt horrible, and still do. Had my mother been there, she would have told me not to throw the rock, or barring her seeing it in time, she would have beaten my butt.

Maybe he'll feel true remorse, like I did.

Yeah, I shot my slingshot at some birds, totally missing, but my mom saw it and my butt felt it for the next several days.

And ... me too. I felt remorse for attacking an animal like that for no good reason. It's not like I was hunting for food. I was just being an unthinking little maggot. Deserved that whoopin'.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
It's probably just reported more now, thanks to the internet, but there's also the possibility that back in the day, ANY adult could tell a child to put the rock down, stay away from the wall, etc. Nowadays, even the parents have to be careful about scolding their own child in public.
So true, I used to get spanked (if not worse) by my friends' moms growing up all the time and the same at my household. We knew we were wrong, regardless of the adult catching us. You're right though, if you even hint at trying to parent someone else's kids now will get you into trouble. Arrogance/style of parenting (too sheltered outside of social media exposure) and the lack of a real "community/neighborhood" are probably some of the reason. I don't condone child abuse, but just showing the social difference of even 30 years ago.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

I faintly remember being at a zoo,while on family vacation with my older cousin 'Randy' he was sportin' this red felt hillbilly looking brimmed hat that had a bunch of little doodad's/miniature charms sewn onto it, he thought he was the coolest,,,we were looking down at the hippocampus in a tank of water ,and the hippo would open it's mouth and wait for the zoo goers to shower it with unshelled peanuts you could buy by the bagful, well 'Randy' finger zips a hot-boxed half smoked cigarette square into the x-ring of that Hippo's open mouth,,,it flat out pissed that hippo off& it went under water and blew,,,er,,,I guess air out it's nostrils ,sending up geysers of hippo tank water up into the air and raining down upon the hippo viewers,,, 'Randy' dripping water &laughing said " that pissed him off" ,,, I've not seen that jerk of a cousin since that one time in Californiao_O

aria

Reaction score
I say throw a rock at the kid and break his leg, may be the only way he learns. The parents will learn to keep their kid in check as a result of the hospital bill. Poor flamingo.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I say throw a rock at the kid and break his leg, may be the only way he learns. The parents will learn to keep their kid in check as a result of the hospital bill. Poor flamingo.

Poor kid. Teaching the kid the meaning of kindness and towards others in my opinion is a better thing for his psyche than using anger to teach him a life lesson.