Follow the Money

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Now that we have re-signed Lawrence I think we have had a very good off-season thus far. We have filled pretty much every hole on this team for 2019 but need to look to fill in some holes in the draft but I think the vision is draft now for 2020.

We have a lot of FA looming for 2020, and there's simply no way we can re-sign them all and without a first-round pick, many of the guys we draft will not be instant contributors. So if you follow what this staff has done in the last couple years they have drafted to fill immediate holes, but also to cover upcoming contracts.

Notable 2020 contracts that are up.
Ezekiel Elliott:
They will have him signed to a 5th-year option so he will be a 2021 contract decision.

Dak Prescott:: He is going to be well paid with a good season, and don't be surprised if they don't try to get this done before the season starts. 23-27 million/ year.

Amari Cooper: With a big season he is going to look for 17-20 million/ year, and giving up a 1st round pick they do not plan on moving on from a player with his experience and youth. His second contract will likely run out when he is 30-31 years old. The new deal will get done.

Jaylon Smith: Restricted FA I think they will let him play the year see how well the knee holds up to give him the max restricted FA tag and work on his extension next off-season. This is a guy that is a leader by example and if he performs well he is going absolutely nowhere. Look at Kwon Alexander Money 13-15 million/ year.

La'El Collins: He is a guy that is going to get a big payday if he can duplicate his second half of the season to a full year in 2019. 9-13 million/ year, no way they can re-sign him if that's the case.

Byron Jones: If he has a similar season to last year he will be well paid 12-15 million/ year, but if he can add some interceptions look for him to be one of the highest paid CB in the league. Don't think he will fit in the cap moving forward.

Anthony Brown: With slot CB making 9 million in today's passing league football his versatility and ability he is going to probably be one of the hotter commodities in that 2nd tier CB chase if his production is good this year. 9 million might be the starting price. Don't see us keeping him around at that price.

Maliek Collins: Injuries have crushed his production as well as playing out of position based on need but if he can stay healthy in 2019 he is a guy who could have 9 or so sacks from the 3 tech spot which could raise his price to around 12 million/ year which I think the Cowboys say find that elsewhere.

The Cowboys will look to add depth now while looking to fill holes in the future.

DB: this a big need in 2019 especially at S, but CB could be a huge need in 2020 with the potential FA's. The Cowboys have brought in a bunch of S as part of their 30 visits so we know they are interested in addressing that spot early.

DT: The Cowboys have done a good job filling holes at DT in FA, but they need to look at a long term fix here also without a staple in the middle and the unknown of Collins.

RT: Cameron Flemming to a two-year deal gives you time, but do they want him as a starter or a swing tackle?

RB: They have a huge hole at the #2 RB, but would they like someone to be Zeke's potential replacement to free up long term money? Damien Harris is a day 2 guy they have interest in and will be apart of their 30-day visit, so maybe they aren't sold on big money to RB's especially when you consider the off-field baggage and the Demarco Murray treatment.

If you follow the money the Cowboys IMO are going to look to address DB early and often this draft, and RB could be something they might be higher on than we fans would like. DT is another position day 2 or early day 3, and I also expect them to target an OT this draft as well.

Whats's your thoughts, and how would you play this years draft based on this, and look towards next years draft as well?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Now that we have re-signed Lawrence I think we have had a very good off-season thus far. We have filled pretty much every hole on this team for 2019 but need to look to fill in some holes in the draft but I think the vision is draft now for 2020.

We have a lot of FA looming for 2020, and there's simply no way we can re-sign them all and without a first-round pick, many of the guys we draft will not be instant contributors. So if you follow what this staff has done in the last couple years they have drafted to fill immediate holes, but also to cover upcoming contracts.

Ezekiel Elliott:
They will have him signed to a 5th-year option so he will be a 2021 contract decision.

Dak Prescott:: He is going to be well paid with a good season, and don't be surprised if they don't try to get this done before the season starts. 23-27 million/ year.

Amari Cooper: With a big season he is going to look for 17-20 million/ year, and giving up a 1st round pick they do not plan on moving on from a player with his experience and youth. His second contract will likely run out when he is 30-31 years old. The new deal will get done.

Jaylon Smith: Restricted FA I think they will let him play the year see how well the knee holds up to give him the max restricted FA tag and work on his extension next off-season. This is a guy that is a leader by example and if he performs well he is going absolutely nowhere. Look at Kwon Alexander Money 13-15 million/ year.

La'El Collins: He is a guy that is going to get a big payday if he can duplicate his second half of the season to a full year in 2019. 9-13 million/ year, no way they can re-sign him if that's the case.

Byron Jones: If he has a similar season to last year he will be well paid 12-15 million/ year, but if he can add some interceptions look for him to be one of the highest paid CB in the league. Don't think he will fit in the cap moving forward.

Anthony Brown: With slot CB making 9 million in today's passing league football his versatility and ability he is going to probably be one of the hotter commodities in that 2nd tier CB chase if his production is good this year. 9 million might be the starting price. Don't see us keeping him around at that price.

Maliek Collins: Injuries have crushed his production as well as playing out of position based on need but if he can stay healthy in 2019 he is a guy who could have 9 or so sacks from the 3 tech spot which could raise his price to around 12 million/ year which I think the Cowboys say find that elsewhere.

The Cowboys will look to add depth now while looking to fill holes in the future.

DB: this a big need in 2019 especially at S, but CB could be a huge need in 2020 with the potential FA's. The Cowboys have brought in a bunch of S as part of their 30 visits so we know they are interested in addressing that spot early.

DT: The Cowboys have done a good job filling holes at DT in FA, but they need to look at a long term fix here also without a staple in the middle and the unknown of Collins.

RT: Cameron Flemming to a two-year deal gives you time, but do they want him as a starter or a swing tackle?

RB: They have a huge hole at the #2 RB, but would they like someone to be Zeke's potential replacement to free up long term money? Damien Harris is a day 2 guy they have interest in and will be apart of their 30-day visit, so maybe they aren't sold on big money to RB's especially when you consider the off-field baggage and the Demarco Murray treatment.

If you follow the money the Cowboys IMO are going to look to address DB early and often this draft, and RB could be something they might be higher on than we fans would like. DT is another position day 2 or early day 3, and I also expect them to target an OT this draft as well.

Whats's your thoughts, and how would you play this years draft based on this, and look towards next years draft as well?
Going to be tough for sure to keep most of them. Flemming was signed for depth. He’s not going to start as long as the line is healthy.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Going to be tough for sure to keep most of them. Flemming was signed for depth. He’s not going to start as long as the line is healthy.

I agree, but assuming La'El Collins is allowed to hit FA it's something to keep your eye on but this could be addressed in 2020.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I think you nailed most of the areas where there is a need to think ahead.

Cooper should be extended next. Can reduce his cap hit while doing so. Dak should get the big deal after that. Front load it and it will make future deals easier.

RT - There are several options here. Collins can be re-signed if the asking price is not too much. Fleming can become the starter. Connor williams can move to RT and Sia Filo, Looney or Ehringer can become the starting LG. I don't think this is an area where a pick needs to be used this year. If a player they like is there in mid to late rounds they can pull the trigger but I see no reason to target the position.

CB - This one feels safer than it is. You rightly point out future FA problems here. I think they should try to sign Brown now while he would not break the bank. He has never seen any real money and he might be one that would sign an extension at an affordable rate. Lewis should get a better look. I think he is starting caliber. Jones will be a tough decision. This year means everything to him. Will he ball out and force us to pay up?

RB - I believe the backup role is easily solved. There are plenty of capable players that could be had with a 4th or even 5th rd pick. Zeke is going to be a tough decision. I would not address it yet. He is a 2021 problem.

DT - This is a huge year for Collins. The decision on whether or not to give him a 2nd contract likely hinges on his production this year. This is definitely a position that should be addressed in the draft. I will be shocked if we don't address 3 tech.

One position you did not mention is TE. I think with Jarwin and Schultz there is no need to force a pick but if the right player is there after other important positions are addressed then it would be a good idea to take one.

What will likely make future transactions easier is the few older vets playing with bigger contracts are likely coming to the end of their careers. Lee took less money but if this is his last year he will be replaced by someone making a fraction of his salary. Witten is the same. The right draftee could make Crawford expendable and he is very well paid. The cap also rises consistently so that will be a big help as well going forward.

Safety and DT are the two positions I feel are most needed to be addressed in this draft. RB as well but should be an easy fix. I think we are in better shape than has been the case for a long time. It is always good to think ahead and try to take care of future problems before they arise. Why not try to extend Brown and Jaylon now before they become much more expensive? If the decision has been made to move on from Crawford then Maliek Collins should be approached with an offer as well.

conner01

Reaction score

Ezekiel Elliott:

The draft is about long term in most cases
I know fans think of today’s roster but the real key is fix holes before they become holes
OT is a good example as is DB
We are fine this year but the holes are coming
Switzer I believe was drafted thinking of Beasley future
Taco with Tank future in mind

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I think you nailed most of the areas where there is a need to think ahead.

Cooper should be extended next. Can reduce his cap hit while doing so. Dak should get the big deal after that. Front load it and it will make future deals easier.

RT - There are several options here. Collins can be re-signed if the asking price is not too much. Fleming can become the starter. Connor williams can move to RT and Sia Filo, Looney or Ehringer can become the starting LG. I don't think this is an area where a pick needs to be used this year. If a player they like is there in mid to late rounds they can pull the trigger but I see no reason to target the position.

CB - This one feels safer than it is. You rightly point out future FA problems here. I think they should try to sign Brown now while he would not break the bank. He has never seen any real money and he might be one that would sign an extension at an affordable rate. Lewis should get a better look. I think he is starting caliber. Jones will be a tough decision. This year means everything to him. Will he ball out and force us to pay up?

RB - I believe the backup role is easily solved. There are plenty of capable players that could be had with a 4th or even 5th rd pick. Zeke is going to be a tough decision. I would not address it yet. He is a 2021 problem.

DT - This is a huge year for Collins. The decision on whether or not to give him a 2nd contract likely hinges on his production this year. This is definitely a position that should be addressed in the draft. I will be shocked if we don't address 3 tech.

One position you did not mention is TE. I think with Jarwin and Schultz there is no need to force a pick but if the right player is there after other important positions are addressed then it would be a good idea to take one.

What will likely make future transactions easier is the few older vets playing with bigger contracts are likely coming to the end of their careers. Lee took less money but if this is his last year he will be replaced by someone making a fraction of his salary. Witten is the same. The right draftee could make Crawford expendable and he is very well paid. The cap also rises consistently so that will be a big help as well going forward.

Safety and DT are the two positions I feel are most needed to be addressed in this draft. RB as well but should be an easy fix. I think we are in better shape than has been the case for a long time. It is always good to think ahead and try to take care of future problems before they arise. Why not try to extend Brown and Jaylon now before they become much more expensive? If the decision has been made to move on from Crawford then Maliek Collins should be approached with an offer as well.

I agree with all of this, but my point of the post is the Cowboys have tried to draft players who are at positions to fill holes for the future. With that being said filling holes that may open up in 2020 will be done in this and next years draft. With that being said if you look at the DB positions there's going to be many holes next year and with the money these guys are getting paid in FA they would be foolish not to test the market or you are going to pay a lot to prevent them from doing so. So when you factor who's who in the pecking order, and the money that you will invest into those guys I think the Cowboys look to address the DB position so you aren't going into next off-season with hey I need to spend a ton of money or draft a guy high to fill a hole or 2.

Pretty much all those interior depth guys are FA after this year, so do we look to fill that many holes in 1 off-season?

RB can be addressed at any time I agree.

RamziD

Reaction score
Stop already with Dak. You probably were saying DLaw should get $15-17M like most people about a month ago. Dak’s not getting paid a couple million more per year than Lawrence. He’s going to get around $30M per with $90M+ guaranteed.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Stop already with Dak. You probably were saying DLaw should get $15-17M like most people about a month ago. Dak’s not getting paid a couple million more per year than Lawrence. He’s going to get around $30M per with $90M+ guaranteed.

So if he made 27m/ year would that be only a couple million more than DLaw’s 21m/ yr.

Also the contract could be more with more guaranteed. So instead of coming in here saying you this and that, there’s a lot of factors that can make Daks contract much more lucrative than DLaws based on the numbers I provided.

RamziD

Reaction score
So if he made 27m/ year would that be only a couple million more than DLaw’s 21m/ yr.

Also the contract could be more with more guaranteed. So instead of coming in here saying you this and that, there’s a lot of factors that can make Daks contract much more lucrative than DLaws based on the numbers I provided.

$27M AAV is more likely to be the low number than $23M. You have to be realistic, not what you hope it will be like.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Ezekiel Elliott:

Great post, and a definite piece of the puzzle, but IMO you need to address the weaknesses of your team ahead of thinking of future contracts being up.

Think about both, but if you have players with similar grades the position of need should be priority.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cooper needs to get done NOW. It should have been done as part of trade. You don't give up a first without hopefully having parameters in place...

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Great post, and a definite piece of the puzzle, but IMO you need to address the weaknesses of your team ahead of thinking of future contracts being up.

Think about both, but if you have players with similar grades the position of need should be priority.

Absolutely, but wouldn’t you say the need at DB amplifies the current need and future need to make it a higher priority for them. Especially if you can find a guy who can play in the slot?

You will always have needs, and future needs but I think if you follow the money Jones isn’t going to pay Byron top cb money, or Brown top slot cb money and this is why I think of you follow the money DB with the need at s now, and DBfor the future. Especially when you factor in Richards strength.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Absolutely, but wouldn’t you say the need at DB amplifies the current need and future need to make it a higher priority for them. Especially if you can find a guy who can play in the slot?

You will always have needs, and future needs but I think if you follow the money Jones isn’t going to pay Byron top cb money, or Brown top slot cb money and this is why I think of you follow the money DB with the need at s now, and DBfor the future. Especially when you factor in Richards strength.

Im not sure I understand what you’re saying in first paragraph, but the good thing is a lot of the Safeties in this class offer slot coverage ability...and so does Woods.

I’m fine drafting a CB in rounds 4 on...but not in the top 100.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Ezekiel Elliott:

We haven’t filled every hole - we suck at DT and S. As far as I’m concerned, we need to upgrade both S spots.

visionary

Reaction score

Ezekiel Elliott:

Filled all the holes
Add depth :lmao2:

This team needs starters at 1T DT, FS and TE
:facepalm:

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Im not sure I understand what you’re saying in first paragraph, but the good thing is a lot of the Safeties in this class offer slot coverage ability...and so does Woods.

I’m fine drafting a CB in rounds 4 on...but not in the top 100.

What I'm saying is the potential FA's we have and the price point of CB's the price point in which they are getting paid and the need for S this year wouldn't you say that makes it a bigger priority and if tags are touching or even close make it a position with heavy emphasis?
We haven’t filled every hole - we suck at DT and S. As far as I’m concerned, we need to upgrade both S spots.

We added depth and S will be a position they will address in the draft.

DT we got deeper and better at.

Filled all the holes
Add depth :lmao2:

This team needs starters at 1T DT, FS and TE
:facepalm:

We added DT, FS will be addressed in a couple weeks, and TE may not be addressed but we are young there outside of Witten and with him teaching those guys should get better if not it will be addressed next year.

visionary

Reaction score
What I'm saying is the potential FA's we have and the price point of CB's the price point in which they are getting paid and the need for S this year wouldn't you say that makes it a bigger priority and if tags are touching or even close make it a position with heavy emphasis?

We added depth and S will be a position they will address in the draft.

DT we got deeper and better at.

We added DT, FS will be addressed in a couple weeks, and TE may not be addressed but we are young there outside of Witten and with him teaching those guys should get better if not it will be addressed next year.

Did you read the word "starters" (as in not trash back ups) before responding?

visionary

Reaction score
So let me ask you, who should we have gotten in FA, or who should we go get in the draft?

You have to spend money and be aggressive to get starting caliber players

We have been unwilling to do that for years either because we are afraid to make a mistake or because we think we are smarter than everyone else . It is abundantly clear we are not

The only real addition we have is Quinn
That is it
There were plenty of options at 1T DT and FS and some at TE

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
You have to spend money and be aggressive to get starting caliber players

We have been unwilling to do that for years either because we are afraid to make a mistake or because we think we are smarter than everyone else . It is abundantly clear we are not

The only real addition we have is Quinn
That is it
There were plenty of options at 1T DT and FS and some at TE

Again who would you have gone after in FA, and who would you draft?