Follow the money!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
QB, WR, LT, DE, CB are the highest paid positions in this league.

-It appears highly unlikely they are going to draft a top 5 QB in this class to replace Dak.
-Cooks, Gallup both have outs in their contracts in 2024
-Tyler Smith appears to be the future LT and he will be replacing Tyron Smith and his contract.
-DLaw has a 20 million cap for 2024.
-Gilmore is a fa in 2024, so is Trevon Diggs

WR, CB, DE are all in play, especially with extensions to Diggs, Lamb, Parsons on the horizon.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
SHOW ME THE MONEY.

Good post, also reason #100000000000 you don’t take a RB in round 1.

Get your high dollar items cheap for 5 years.
You can make a strong case for the three positions I mentioned. Getting low cost 5 yr deals at these spots, saves them a ton of money moving forward. You have to think about future deals on the horizon, we already discussed Steele/Biaz, but the market setting ones in Diggs/Lamb/Parsons are just around the corner and don't think they will not pay any of them.

tm1119

Reaction score
This is a smart draft strategy followed by a lot of good teams. Draft high dollar positions early to avoid having to pay big $ in free agency, and if the hit rate is good on the picks you can also continuously replace players instead of paying big $ on 2nd contracts.

Positions like G, LB, S, 1 tech (except in Dallas), TE and RB can be found for relatively cheap contracts in free agency to supplement and round out the team.

Obviously there are times BPA with overwhelming value at a non high $ position can happen, but QB, WR, OT, DE, elite pass rushing DT, and CB should usually be the targets in rounds 1 and 2

cnuball21

Reaction score
You can make a strong case for the three positions I mentioned. Getting low cost 5 yr deals at these spots, saves them a ton of money moving forward. You have to think about future deals on the horizon, we already discussed Steele/Biaz, but the market setting ones in Diggs/Lamb/Parsons are just around the corner and don't think they will not pay any of them.
You want to sign all of your good players but you have to take this approach IMO.

Keep the pipeline strong at the money positions.

calicowboy54

Reaction score

-It appears highly unlikely they are going to draft a top 5 QB in this class to replace Dak.
-Tyler Smith appears to be the future LT and he will be replacing Tyron Smith and his contract.

WR, CB, DE are all in play, especially with extensions to Diggs, Lamb, Parsons on the horizon.
IMO DE is not in play just because we have Williams waiting in the wings + just resigned Fowler and Takk. I think we are covered there with Parsons Williams Fowler/Takk and Armstrong. i think we need to Draft a CB somewhere in the first 3-4 rounds same as WR just to be covered. We also need Guard badly as well. DT we could be loosing Galimore / Odigi in the next few years too.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

• The Cowboys rank prospects on tiers.
  • 1st round
    • 1A
    • 1B
    • 1C
    • 1D

• 2nd round
    • 2A
    • 2B

• 3rd thru 7th rounds.
At #26 Bijan or Mayer might have a 1A ranking and all other available players are ranked as 2nd rounders or maybe some in tier 1D.

In 2017 the only available player with a 1st round grade was RB Dalvin Cooks. The Cowboys drafted Taco.
- If Cooks was on the roster then no Zeke holdout.
- They could have traded either Cooks or Zeke for a 1st a couple of years later.

The top goal should be to draft a great player in round 1 regardless of position.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

The receivers (Gallup/Cooks)will be here until the end of 24. I would take a look at Forbes Mississippi St. in the second round. He would be the perfect understudy for Gilmore.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The receivers (Gallup/Cooks)will be here until the end of 24. I would take a look at Forbes Mississippi St. in the second round. He would be the perfect understudy for Gilmore.
They can get out of both receivers contracts next offseason. Will they? Probably not.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
  • The Cowboys rank prospects on tiers.
  • 1st round
    • 1A
    • 1B
    • 1C
    • 1D

• 2nd round
    • 2A
    • 2B

• 3rd thru 7th rounds.
At #26 Bijan or Mayer might have a 1A ranking and all other available players are ranked as 2nd rounders or maybe some in tier 1D.

In 2017 the only available player with a 1st round grade was RB Dalvin Cooks. The Cowboys drafted Taco.
- If Cooks was on the roster then no Zeke holdout.
- They could have traded either Cooks or Zeke for a 1st a couple of years later.

The top goal should be to draft a great player in round 1 regardless of position.
Yes and this year they can truly take the best player available on their board.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
IMO DE is not in play just because we have Williams waiting in the wings + just resigned Fowler and Takk. I think we are covered there with Parsons Williams Fowler/Takk and Armstrong. i think we need to Draft a CB somewhere in the first 3-4 rounds same as WR just to be covered. We also need Guard badly as well. DT we could be loosing Galimore / Odigi in the next few years too.

Disagree, they have depth at this moment, but that can change dramatically next season as DLaw might be released, Fowler/Armstrong, Takk will all be free agents. Why do we need a guard badly? Tyler Smith is expected to start there and they are expecting Tyron to start at LT. Fully understand Tyron's lack of durability, but all they need to a backup plan for starts he misses. It's more of a 2024 need for me. Yes, they can draft a future starter, but that is probably outside of the 1st rd.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Disagree, they have depth at this moment, but that can change dramatically next season as DLaw might be released, Fowler/Armstrong, Takk will all be free agents. Why do we need a guard badly? Tyler Smith is expected to start there and they are expecting Tyron to start at LT. Fully understand Tyron's lack of durability, but all they need to a backup plan for starts he misses. It's more of a 2024 need for me. Yes, they can draft a future starter, but that is probably outside of the 1st rd.
Guard badly means when Tyron goes down this year which he will and we shift Tyler out to Tackle who plays guard. Farnoik

calicowboy54

Reaction score
No, they just signed a quality FA swing G.

It’s no longer a need.
That guy is a backup at best. but i guess your right if tyler moves out we will need a backup to step up. i'd rather just get someone we know can lock down a Guard position now and when Martin retires in a few years we have a replacement.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Guard badly means when Tyron goes down this year which he will and we shift Tyler out to Tackle who plays guard. Farnoik
They just made a signing to protect against that such scenario. They aren't going to spend a 1st rd pick for a backup position until someone gets hurt.

visionary

Reaction score

I agree with you, the only exception is Bijan because you are thinking as a football person

What is the most important thing for the Joneses? Revenue and relevance

Bijan is the home run for both of these

If he’s there no way he’s not the pick

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree with you, the only exception is Bijan because you are thinking as a football person

What is the most important thing for the Joneses? Revenue and relevance

Bijan is the home run for both of these

If he’s there no way he’s not the pick
I agree, if there he will be a Cowboy, my only worry is that they trade up for him.

cnuball21

Reaction score
That guy is a backup at best. but i guess your right if tyler moves out we will need a backup to step up. i'd rather just get someone we know can lock down a Guard position now and when Martin retires in a few years we have a replacement.
Well yea…that’s his job. He’s a good backup though and will be serviceable if we have injuries.

If you draft a rookie G there’s no guarantee he’s good in year 1. There were 2 prospects last year better than any G prospect in the draft this year and they were both below average as rookies.