CFZ Football Cliches we hear often…especially in the playoffs

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just for fun…ever notice all the football cliches we hear during broadcasts? Even more so in the playoffs.
Here‘s some examples:
  • A game of two halves”…..Duh.
  • At the end of the day”…a favorite of players and coaches during interviews. May be the most overused phrase in the world today, lol.
  • We’re just taking it one game at a time.”…Again, duh. Can two games be played at once?
  • He makes a circus catch”…What is a “circus catch”? As a kid, I went to the circus but I don’t remember anything being caught.
  • This guy always gives 110%”…Actually that’s not true. 100% is always the most anyone can give.
  • When an OC calls a gadget play that doesn’t work, they often say “He was trying to get cute”….What does that even mean???
  • We have to play a full 60 minutes.”…often said by coaches. Uh, yeah you do have to play 60 minutes.
  • We need to go back and look at the tape.” …One of Jason Garrett’s favorite quotes at a post game presser. Coach Speak Translation: “I don’t want to talk about it.”
  • ”We need to get back to playing (name of team) football”.…How about just playing better? Besides, anytime your team is playing that’s the football you are playing, lol.
Incomplete list…what else?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Just for fun…ever notice all the football cliches we hear during broadcasts? Even more so in the playoffs.
Here‘s some examples:
  • A game of two halves”…..Duh.
  • At the end of the day”…a favorite of players and coaches during interviews. May be the most overused phrase in the world today, lol.
  • We’re just taking it one game at a time.”…Again, duh. Can two games be played at once?
  • He makes a circus catch”…What is a “circus catch”? As a kid, I went to the circus but I don’t remember anything being caught.
  • This guy always gives 110%”…Actually that’s not true. 100% is always the most anyone can give.
  • When an OC calls a gadget play that doesn’t work, they often say “He was trying to get cute”….What does that even mean???
  • We have to play a full 60 minutes.”…often said by coaches. Uh, yeah you do have to play 60 minutes.
  • We need to go back and look at the tape.” …One of Jason Garrett’s favorite quotes at a post game presser. Coach Speak Translation: “I don’t want to talk about it.”
  • ”We need to get back to playing (name of team) football”.…How about just playing better? Besides, anytime your team is playing that’s the football you are playing, lol.
Incomplete list…what else?
Lots of them, but.....

Circus catch - circus used to have lots of acrobats. TO make some catches, you have to be an acrobat. That actually makes sense.

He was trying to get cute - thinking he can just do anything and get away with it.

Good list though.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • ”Dial up a blitz”
  • ”Great call”- any play that works
  • ”Bad call”- any play that doesn’t work; especially in key moments
  • ”Sits down in the zone”- a receiver simply stops running against a zone defense
  • ”Climbs the ladder”- jumps high
  • “He punches it in”- A short yardage TD run
  • “Riverboat Gambler”- any coach who takes lots of risks.
  • ”He coughs it up”- he fumbles

Zman5

Reaction score
"We scratched and clawed all the way back" - Not really. If you had scrached and clawed someone, you would have been flagged.
"We shot ourselves in the foot." - If you really did do that, you would be a real dumb a** and may even get arrested for bringing a gun to the football field.
"And that's why they played the game." - They would have played the game no matter what.

LocoBates

Reaction score
"We will learn from it and do better"
or
"“I’m blessed as hell to approach the day and attack the day,' - Prescott

herein lies the problem (maybe he was kissed by the Devil?)

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
Only said once but I hear it at least 50 times a year since....

Jim Mora" Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs?