Football Life - Jimmy Johnson

rcaldw

Reaction score
Watching it now on NFL network. Man I miss that guy. And listening to 3rd party stories it is clear as a bell that Jerry Jones is exactly what I think he is... the problem.

Derekmtl85

Reaction score
Funny, i just started watching the series. Just watched the Great Wall of Dallas one, great stuff. Man, that line was pure NASTY and attitude.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Watching it now on NFL network. Man I miss that guy. And listening to 3rd party stories it is clear as a bell that Jerry Jones is exactly what I think he is... the problem.

Yep. Unless he trusts someone enough to follow their advice on football issues (Jimmy, Parcells, Garrett).

BHendri5

Reaction score
the 89 draft with Aikman and Johnston were not a part of that walker trade, were they? I thought Landry drafted Aikman and the 89 picks

rcaldw

Reaction score
the 89 draft with Aikman and Johnston were not a part of that walker trade, were they? I thought Landry drafted Aikman and the 89 picks

You are correct that it wasn't a part of the Walker trade. But Landry was gone before they drafted Aikman. Honestly, a monkey could have drafted Aikman. But they took Walsh in the supplemental and turned that into 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks from the Saints. Which is AMAZING, considering Walsh had a noodle for an arm.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Yep. Unless he trusts someone enough to follow their advice on football issues (Jimmy, Parcells, Garrett).

Agreed. Even then, though, its always the same stuff, he has to have his face in the media constantly. He just can't take a low profile. Just doesn't have it in him.

Derekmtl85

Reaction score
Anyways, this series is amazing. It has 3 seasons so far (and the 4th is airing right now). Some good ones like Marcus Allen, finding out what happened between him and Al Davis, Great Wall of Dallas, Jimmy Johnson, Jerry Rice, Browns leaving Cleveland, etc

CashMan

Reaction score
Does anyone know why, Steve wisnewski, was.drafted then traded, in that 1989 draft?

ringmaster

Reaction score
You are correct that it wasn't a part of the Walker trade. But Landry was gone before they drafted Aikman. Honestly, a monkey could have drafted Aikman. But they took Walsh in the supplemental and turned that into 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks from the Saints. Which is AMAZING, considering Walsh had a noodle for an arm.
I think when Jimmy Johnson was coach at Miami he courted Aikman, and said that had Aikman QBed for his Hurricanes they would've not lost a game being that you followed Aikman a great deal you would actually know if Jimmy said this.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Just as a side note to the fact that it was Johnson and company who did the 89 draft...

The funny thing about Aikman is that Johnson gets all this credit for picking him like he saw this amazing QB that he couldn't live without.

The QB that he was so sold on that he used a #1 pick in the supplemental draft to get his college QB and according to Brad Sham even seriously considered starting Walsh over Aikman.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just as a side note to the fact that it was Johnson and company who did the 89 draft...

The funny thing about Aikman is that Johnson gets all this credit for picking him like he saw this amazing QB that he couldn't live without.

The QB that he was so sold on that he used a #1 pick in the supplemental draft to get his college QB and according to Brad Sham even seriously considered starting Walsh over Aikman.

yet he didn't start him......

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
yet he didn't start him......

Nope. According to Brad Sham he told Jimmy it was a crazy idea and the fans would run him out of Dallas if he did it.

Now I'm sure what Sham said had no actual bearing on what Jimmy ultimately decided and Jimmy ultimately decided to go with Aikman but it's been reported, documented, etc a ton of times that Jimmy was not some big fan of Aikman and wasn't even close to sold on him for the first 2 or 3 years he was his coach.

I don't know if it's true but I know that lots of people have claimed that Jimmy was quoted as telling his coaches that Aikman was always a loser in college and he'd never be anything but a loser in the pros.

I know Aikman has mentioned that for the first few years he and Jimmy did not have a good relationship at all but eventually they finally did and became very close.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Jimmy recruited Aikman in college. That is true. In fact, courted him twice. So, to say Johnson didn't see anything special in Aikman would be wrong. It was Johnson who went to see Aikman work out before they spent the 1st round pick on him. It is said that he was fired up on the phone watching him throw it around. But it is also true that when the losing was going on Johnson had his doubts about Aikman. 1990 is when it turned around. They went from 3-7 to 7-7 and then Aikman went down with a separated shoulder and they lost the last 2. Johnson didn't have any doubts after that.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Apparently any negative comment about Jerry Jones is immediately deemed a rant thread. Or, maybe this is the only category where something like this really fits. Don't know. Either way, I will continue to say it. Jerry Jones paid for the teams of the early 90's, he didn't build them. You need someone with football knowledge to do it. On this program they asked Jimmy point blank if he respected Jerry's football knowledge. Jerry was sitting RIGHT BESIDE HIM. Jimmy said, "Yes as an owner and a fan." Costas followed up and asked if he respected his knowledge on a par with Jimmy's. Jimmy (with Jerry right there) said "No, I've spent 30 years.... (I'm a coach)." That sums it up, and that is why Jerry will always be a problem. He could be great as an owner if he could bring himself to stay in his own realm. But he just won't do it.

silver

Reaction score
i dont think there was time in the clock to consumate a trade so we picked him knowing we would trade him, ie we picked him, in essence FOR the raiders.

may be wrong though

This is exactly right we ended trading him to the Raiders and picked up Daryl Johnston and some extra picks

In the second round, Raiders’ owner Al Davis desperately wanted Penn State guard Steve Wisniewski. The Cowboys drafted the guard but turned around and traded him and a 6th rounder to the Raiders for a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th from the Raiders. Wisniewski became an eight-time Pro Bowler, but the Cowboys did just fine. The picked up Syracuse fullback Daryl Johnston in the second round (using the Raiders pick).

http://www.knowyourdallascowboys.co...w-cowboys-begin-a-new-era-by-drafting-aikman/

joseephuss

Reaction score
Jimmy recruited Aikman in college. That is true. In fact, courted him twice. So, to say Johnson didn't see anything special in Aikman would be wrong. It was Johnson who went to see Aikman work out before they spent the 1st round pick on him. It is said that he was fired up on the phone watching him throw it around. But it is also true that when the losing was going on Johnson had his doubts about Aikman. 1990 is when it turned around. They went from 3-7 to 7-7 and then Aikman went down with a separated shoulder and they lost the last 2. Johnson didn't have any doubts after that.

I think any doubts Jimmy had were gone before the 4 game winning streak in my opinion. That is why they traded Steve Walsh away earlier in the season.