Twitter: For fans concerned about Dak passing under 200 yards

HellCrowe

Reaction score
ProFootballReference.com lets you search every NFL game since 1950.

The point was to show the most similar games to the one we just played. If you read the Twitter thread or my previous post in this thread, expanding the criteria to get a bigger sample size (several hundred games or even more than a thousand games) still results in a very high winning percentage, even against winning teams or playoff teams. And that's not even considering how the opponent's passing game performed (which is roughly half the equation for winning or losing).

I understand the point of the post however, there are too many factors in a game to point out and pick out % to prove a point. If we are talking about 26 winning games within the past 13 years, the sample size (26) and actual games (6000 +) % is very low compared to the whole picture. I’m not hating Dak but I am definitely worried.

Like I said, sustainability and winning is the most important factors. If we win like the previous game, let’s do it! I’m all about winning. However, we need to consider all the other factors.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Hummm. but I thought you all said it's all about the QB/ Or so it is with your crowd in regards to Dak Prescott? So which is it, a team sport, or the Qb wins or loses games?

I do not know what the hell you are talking about ....... I like Dak, Tony, and Dez.

I wish they were all still Cowboys.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
For those concerned, read my signature.

DAK IS NOT BRADY - he is not Aikman - he is not Brees.

Let Dak be Dak. He is more Newton, McNabb, McNair than any of the above. If we force him to be a pocket passer, he will not excel.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
No but thats what I felt like posting. What's it to you?
Ewewe lawd but we do get testy when facts slap ya upside the head. My point with the post phil was Tom Brady wasn't known for a deep ball. Hell read the 2nd, that was his biggest knock against him. And all I see on here about Dak Prescott is " well he can't throw the deep ball like Romo. Well Romo aint Tom Brady either, but if Dak can win games, and help lead this team into the playoffs throwing short passes, keeping the int's and pick 6's off the board, will he then be a hero, or in the Romo fan love affair still just a Bleh, take em or leave em QB, cause well, he can't throw the deep ball? Cut the kid some slack, he's a good bean, and yes even MY confidence in him went down after the panther game, but I never have ripped into the kid like a lot of so called fans have been doing. God, I can remember all the games Romo blew it with some stupid air it all out pass that gets picked off when we least could afford for that to happen...I remember hating that dude for that crap, especially when you watched the film next day and saw 3 open short yardage WO's running free and he....never....saw....one....of...them.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
So I looked this up since I keep seeing the comparison being made.

In Romo's first 35 games, there was 11 games where he failed to throw for at least 230 yards passing. In these particular games he contributed 144 yards rushing and had 15 Ints

In Prescott's first 35 games, there was 17 games where he failed to throw for at least 230 yards passing. In these particular games he contributed 382 yards rushing and had 9 Ints

Appears to me that there is much exaggeration going on. Romo had games he did not pass for a lot of yardage in a heavy passing system with many weapons at his disposal. He also turned the ball over more in these situations, not that that is a huge surprise.

No reason to believe Dak could not pass for more yardage with more attempts as well, but why do that?

silvrNblue

Reaction score
For those concerned, read my signature.

DAK IS NOT BRADY - he is not Aikman - he is not Brees.

Let Dak be Dak. He is more Newton, McNabb, McNair than any of the above. If we force him to be a pocket passer, he will not excel.
AMEN brother!!! Just have a look over Houston way at what I'm betting is O'Brien getting into the head of Watson, and trying to make him inot a pocket passer, which he is NOT! What are they now, 0-2... I told my Texan buds, you lose to the Vagiants, your toast, hang up the cleats and go sell concision beers to the cowboys fans...:)

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
AMEN brother!!! Just have a look over Houston way at what I'm betting is O'Brien getting into the head of Watson, and trying to make him inot a pocket passer, which he is NOT! What are they now, 0-2... I told my Texan buds, you lose to the Vagiants, your toast, hang up the cleats and go sell concision beers to the cowboys fans...:)
Precisely!

Watson is another example of a QB in the Newton mold.

If they want him to be Drew Brees, they're wasting his career.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
That's a lie because the tape is there for anybody that wants to watch it. I can't spin the actual game footage but keep making up stuff. I did answer your question but your question was stupid from jump. I never said he didn't have that play so hell are you blabbing about some gotcha when I never said that didn't happen? I said he threw more passes that weren't complete deep than complete.
How many passes did Dak throw deep? By the way perhaps you should go back and read what you wrote. You didn't say anything about passes being completed you said they weren't close. If you have the game footage you should rewatch it because it's clear you either didn't watch the game of watched a different game and confused it with the Dallas game Sunday night.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Ewewe lawd but we do get testy when facts slap ya upside the head. My point with the post phil was Tom Brady wasn't known for a deep ball. Hell read the 2nd, that was his biggest knock against him. And all I see on here about Dak Prescott is " well he can't throw the deep ball like Romo. Well Romo aint Tom Brady either, but if Dak can win games, and help lead this team into the playoffs throwing short passes, keeping the int's and pick 6's off the board, will he then be a hero, or in the Romo fan love affair still just a Bleh, take em or leave em QB, cause well, he can't throw the deep ball? Cut the kid some slack, he's a good bean, and yes even MY confidence in him went down after the panther game, but I never have ripped into the kid like a lot of so called fans have been doing. God, I can remember all the games Romo blew it with some stupid air it all out pass that gets picked off when we least could afford for that to happen...I remember hating that dude for that crap, especially when you watched the film next day and saw 3 open short yardage WO's running free and he....never....saw....one....of...them.
My point with Dak is always he needs to do enough to back D up when it counts the most which is the playoffs. Yes in 2016 he did good before folks found out the pluses and minuses in his game. Since then he's been a pretty avg qb. I don't think we can win big with him some do. I also think some are just happy to have a non Weeden type qb they don't realize it can even be better. That's my simple point on Dak criticism. I also think it's best to say you have problems when you are winning so some won't do the whole when they were winning you didn't say anything line. Maybe you disagree and that's cool too we can all have differing opinions.

I have no problems with you or no one else. I feel my way on this issue and you feel your way guess we will just have to let things play out. It's not like I'm not glad they won but that don't mean we can't say anything negative at all if there are things you don't like. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

In Romo's first 35 games, there was 11 games where he failed to throw for at least 230 yards passing. In these particular games he contributed 144 yards rushing and had 15 Ints

In Prescott's first 35 games, there was 17 games where he failed to throw for at least 230 yards passing. In these particular games he contributed 382 yards rushing and had 9 Ints

Appears to me that there is much exaggeration going on. Romo had games he did not pass for a lot of yardage in a heavy passing system with many weapons at his disposal. He also turned the ball over more in these situations, not that that is a huge surprise.

No reason to believe Dak could not pass for more yardage with more attempts as well, but why do that?

Great post .............. the Dak haters on this board would have run Aikman out of town his first 35 games .......... except the ones who would have automatically liked him because of his complexion.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Such "complaints" have been a staple on forums like this for as long as the confusion between yards and efficiency has existed. As you implied, the greater the dissatisfaction with the player, the more widespread the confusion seems to be, but it's nothing new.
What I also meant to imply was during his rookie season the general consensus (yes not everyone) was that Dak should stay in over Romo. That was because he was playing efficiently and the team was winning despite his low volume.

What also needs to be pointed out is that an efficient game from Dak has been the exception and not the norm over the last calendar year.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
How many passes did Dak throw deep? By the way perhaps you should go back and read what you wrote. You didn't say anything about passes being completed you said they weren't close. If you have the game footage you should rewatch it because it's clear you either didn't watch the game of watched a different game and confused it with the Dallas game Sunday night.
I know what I meant when I posted it you didn't that's on you. Nah I don't need to rewatch anything maybe you do. Seems we are done here so you win but I'm not going back and forth over who watched the game or not anymore. If we don't have nothing new to add guess we're done here.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Okay, because you seem to be wanting to spam this, I'm going to go ahead and put a stop to this now.

Dak's first season starting, he had 3 games with under 200 yards passing. 2 games with 300 yards passing.

Romo's first season starting (didn't play the first 5 games), he had 2 300 yard games, and 1 game under 200 yards passing

Dak's second season starting, he had 8 games with under 200 yards passing and 1 game with 300 yards passing

Romo's second season starting, had 6 300 yard games and 2 games with under 200 yards passing.

This cutoff point at "230" is ridiculous, and something percyhoward would pull. The simple fact is, Romo was passing for a lot more yards on similar game to game pass attempts - in Dak and Romo's second season, Dak had nearly 500 pass attempts and Romo had 520. There was around a 30 pass attempt difference.

You completely ignored that a lot of these stats that compared to Romo happened in Dak's rookie year, Dak's stats dropped significantly last year especially after the bye week.

Dak sucks.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

When Romo first started the standard for passing was not where it was today.

Also, we aren't comparing Dak to Romo as a rookie....we are comparing him to the Romo that was run out of town for this iteration for Dak. That Romo had MVP upside. This Dak does not.

Also that Romo started those first 35 games with a much worse supporting cast than Dak has had in his first 35 games. Let's not be silly. This isn't even apples to oranges this is an apples to chicken pot pie type comparison.