For fun who was the biggest FA bust for the Cowboys

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Carr might be the dumbest contract he was a number 2 but got paid to be a 1 and continued to play like a 2. If he had gotten paid like a 2 that would of been an awesome signing. Joey is the reason no body signs other teams franchise tags two 1s plus a big contract ouch. They chased that CB from Oakland that signed with the Eagles and let Joseph go to Houston and played solid for years then the next year signed Carr. that was a blunder Jerry chasing big names. I dont know what they paid Livings and Bern but that was horrible. I will say this at least we aint the Commanders lol Deion, Dana Stubblefield, Jeff George, Albert Haynesworth, Randle El, Archuleta, Trotter, and Bruce Smith past his prime.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Some of the guys mentioned were draft picks, others were acquired through trades, they weren't FA's.

Barber, Galloway, Roy Williams jr.......not FA's

I think part of the criteria should include the size of the contract. technically, if you pay a guy 3 million forfor 2 seasons, it's a low end contract recognizing the risk.

What big contract guy stole money and hurt the cap?

I previously said Eddie George but I might go with Brandon Carr. like I said, consider the expectation when you consider a bust. Carr's contract told us everything we needed to know about expectation and he wasn't even close.

Galloway was most certainly a FA.

He was Seattle’s franchise player which required us to forfeit the two first round picks, but that was done as a result of negotiating and signing Galloway to a contract once he qualified for free agency.

We did not negotiate a trade with the Seahawks for his rights. If Jerry was smart he would have, because he probably would have given up far less.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
As much as we kill Jerry and his kid and the rest of the bunch, they havent really blown it so much in UFA.

Know why?

Serious cap dollars are used to tie up their own draftees when they should be let go.

They overpay for their own, not other teams players.

So...great on one hand, crap on the other.

It sounds like you’re young enough to have been spared the anguish of the late 90s and 2000s.

I suppose we should give the Joneses credit for eventually learning from their mistakes, but once upon a time, off seasons were like a nuclear arms race between Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder.

We definitely had a “trying to buy championships” phase.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Please let me throw Alex Barron’s hat into the ring even though he was traded for :lmao:

I still can’t stand his play on the field.......

plasticman

Reaction score
Galloway was most certainly a FA.

He was Seattle’s franchise player which required us to forfeit the two first round picks, but that was done as a result of negotiating and signing Galloway to a contract once he qualified for free agency.

We did not negotiate a trade with the Seahawks for his rights. If Jerry was smart he would have, because he probably would have given up far less.
No kidding?.....didn't know that....thanks for the correction.

cern

Reaction score
Great fun thread seeing so many hyped names whether fa's or trades. Now we better understand stephen's reluctance to spend big bucks on fa's. The prudence of parsimony.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great fun thread seeing so many hyped names whether fa's or trades. Now we better understand stephen's reluctance to spend big bucks on fa's. The prudence of parsimony.

I consider that two wrongs not making a right, avoiding something that you're not good at rather than working to get better at it.

But yeah, let's play another game, guess the last name of the guy that's been in charge of pro scouting for the last few years?

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
What really compounds the Galloway signing was the report that came out a couple years afterwards that the pro personnel department recommended signing an unheralded free agent WR from Kansas City, but the Cowboys brain trust felt they needed more of a proven commodity to replace the star power Michael Irvin provided. The proven commodity was obviously Joey Galloway. The relatively unknown FA WR was Joe Horn, who went on have 4 Pro Bowl seasons over the next 5 years in New Orleans.

It makes you wonder what could have been if we had made just a few different decisions. The year before we let an ascending Patrick Jeffers get away in favor of signing Rocket Ismail. Carolina was all too happy to sign Jeffers to replace the departed Ismail, which should have been the first warning sign that were were miscalculating their value relative to one another.

Our salary cap situation was already in a precarious position in those days, and signing Raghib Ismail to a big money deal in 1999, followed by an even bigger money deal to Galloway in 2000 didn't make it any better.

It's hard not to wonder what difference a starting line up featuring less expensive / more productive players like Joe Horn and Patrick Jeffers in place of Joey Galloway and Rocket Ismail would have made. The cap difference between the two could have been used to shore up a roster that had talented but aging starters and little to no depth.

Those were some rough years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Carr might be the dumbest contract he was a number 2 but got paid to be a 1 and continued to play like a 2. If he had gotten paid like a 2 that would of been an awesome signing. Joey is the reason no body signs other teams franchise tags two 1s plus a big contract ouch. They chased that CB from Oakland that signed with the Eagles and let Joseph go to Houston and played solid for years then the next year signed Carr. that was a blunder Jerry chasing big names. I dont know what they paid Livings and Bern but that was horrible. I will say this at least we aint the Commanders lol Deion, Dana Stubblefield, Jeff George, Albert Haynesworth, Randle El, Archuleta, Trotter, and Bruce Smith past his prime.
Sometimes I wonder if some smarter dudes like Bellychickens pass around the info about players like Carr. It was blatantly obvious he was a #2 type corner. And yes, I said it at the time. How did he gain the status of top player in FA? Way I see it, either someone lied or someone is stupid.

kskboys

Reaction score
It sounds like you’re young enough to have been spared the anguish of the late 90s and 2000s.

I suppose we should give the Joneses credit for eventually learning from their mistakes, but once upon a time, off seasons were like a nuclear arms race between Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder.

We definitely had a “trying to buy championships” phase.
It's only been the last few years that we finally quit.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know who mine was, who is yours?

Any legit answer has to be tied to how much salary cap space was used on the player.

A 1-year contract can't be one of the worst.

A player that totaled less than 5M even if they never played a game for the team is not really a legit candidate either.

Spending 3M total on a guy like Nolan Carroll pales in comparison to giving a mediocre CB like Brandon Carr a 50M contract even if Carr was an OK contributor and Carroll was not.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Galloway was a trade, not a FA.. He also had a few decent seasons here BTW

He wasn’t a trade, he was out of contract with Seattle who franchised him... and we were dumb enough to give up two firsts.
And for giving up two firsts and his subsequent production, I’d say he was our biggest free agency bust.