For fun who was the biggest FA bust for the Cowboys

Kingofholland

Reaction score
That Eddie George signing drove me nuts. He was obviously finished long before he ever put on a Cowboys' uniform. His yards per carry was 3.4 or lower in each of the three previous seasons, and he was never a receiving threat. He had only reached 1000 yards because they kept feeding him the ball. Running backs who get 310+ carries should never be barely clearing 1000 yards. Or more precisely, RBs who need 310 carries to get to 1000 yards shouldn't be getting anywhere near that many carries.

Well it was clear Julius Jones was the best option that season which also brings back terrible memories of passing on Steven Jackson in the draft. Didn't have major issues in bringing in George but it was clear he wouldn't be a big impact player so hard for me to say he's a bust.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Carr might be the dumbest contract he was a number 2 but got paid to be a 1 and continued to play like a 2. If he had gotten paid like a 2 that would of been an awesome signing. Joey is the reason no body signs other teams franchise tags two 1s plus a big contract ouch. They chased that CB from Oakland that signed with the Eagles and let Joseph go to Houston and played solid for years then the next year signed Carr. that was a blunder Jerry chasing big names. I dont know what they paid Livings and Bern but that was horrible. I will say this at least we aint the Commanders lol Deion, Dana Stubblefield, Jeff George, Albert Haynesworth, Randle El, Archuleta, Trotter, and Bruce Smith past his prime.
Carr was supply and demand, still not the worst, just over paid.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Joey Galloway and its not even close. Injuries robbed this team of the OBJ of that era. Not to mention the team gave up 2 1st for him, and Aikman went down. Galloway and Rocket Ismail were going to get Aikman and Emmitt back to the top but injuries did this in. Was a very good plan by Jerry but bad luck shut it down.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Joey Galloway had some good years with the Seahawks and Bucs but his years with the Cowboys never lived up to the price we paid to get him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I actually disagree with this. He started 80 straight games and was at worst an average starter.

He was more a result of a poor coaching system at the time then someone who was a "bust" and wasn't good.

Poor coaching system, and poor fit.

We signed Carr for bump and run with Ryan, and then went zone with Kiffinelli. Not Carr's fault. That's more like the team screwing Carr than Carr screwing the team.

Arguably Crawford got similarly hosed. Drafted as a 3-4 DE, moved to 4-3 DT, then LDE, then RDE. 3-4 DE was always his most natural fit. Too big and slow for 3-4 DE, too small for 4-3 DT.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dez?
Signed in 2015, broke, was never the same again.
I guess that was a tag, and not free agency.

Paid to be elite.
2015, 2017 were bad.
2016 was a decent year for a #2. Beat for yards and ypt by Beasley. Significantly beat for ypt by Williams, while Dez significantly beat Williams in yards.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Dak Prescott..lol

had to do it... tech I man the FT is that isnt it :))

hmm bust thats loaded word some have not IMO used it correctly..it would mean a high priced guy with tons of expectations that didnt contribute much once signed..

Roy Williams the WR for me..
Don’t you get frustrated and call anyone who criticizes Zeke a troll, yet you troll Dak every chance you get?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Nah. Known risk that came at a discount because of it.
He didn’t really come at a discount. I believe his contract was set up to pay him what he made the previous year, it was just structured in a way that he got roster and performance bonuses. He ended up earning -$8.8 million, which is entirely too much considering how much of a headache he turned out to be and how bad the team was performing.

The Cowboys did a great job of giving themselves an out if he didn’t behave, yet they didn’t take advantage of it. My guess is they thought they would eventually get a comp pick if they lost him to free agency so they kept him around. Nothing else makes any sense to me.

zerofill

Reaction score
Actually graduated with Joey... Bellaire Big Reds ;)

Fromm wonderful crap town Bellaire, Ohio...

Joey, was a freak of nature though with speed. Made our QB Scott Woods look great, just throw it up and Joey would run under it.
Funny thing when we were freshmen he was the QB lol...

He was just gifted with speed, it wasn't something he really had to work for... he never went crazy in the weight room etc...

But, yeah didn't work out too well in Dallas.

Valkyr

Reaction score
That Eddie George signing drove me nuts. He was obviously finished long before he ever put on a Cowboys' uniform. His yards per carry was 3.4 or lower in each of the three previous seasons, and he was never a receiving threat. He had only reached 1000 yards because they kept feeding him the ball. Running backs who get 310+ carries should never be barely clearing 1000 yards. Or more precisely, RBs who need 310 carries to get to 1000 yards shouldn't be getting anywhere near that many carries.
Dude 315 carries in 2001 and only averaged 3.0 YPC, which seems almost impossible.