For those critical of Witten's return

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I agree somewhat.

Each of them are getting like $3.5 mil for 1 year deals.

That's why I suggest the dual purpose of their playing.

Two for the price of one and a little going away present.

Pappa Jerrah..
Football DaD is a very COOL kinda' guy in many,many ways:starspin:

* although, one's mileage may certainly vary accordingly to the prerequisites of their poisoned perceptional past proclamations pertaining to the above posted person being perceived,,, just saying, ya knowo_O

Last edited:

MaaS

Reaction score
53 on a roster and 45 dress on game day.

Using on of those precious spots to groom a position coach is a ridiculous concept. They're on the team because our leadership thinks they can contribute. If that's not the case, this organization is insane.

Also, Witten has played 15 years in the NFL. An extra year isn't suddenly going to prepare him to be a coach. He could coach today if he wanted.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You lost me here Redball.

Players like Lee and Witten don't have to be told to pay attention.

You're overreaching here to try to make a point.
Over-reacting to make a point..

Nah.

Just qualified opinion, bro.

Both would make excellent position assistant coaches and eventually position coaches.

Got to admit it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
All this hully baloo about why Witten came back from the booth to play for us again is so elementary.

People complain he is over the hill,etc.

Nonsense.

Do they not realize he is being groomed as a future assistant coach for TEs after he retires?

Do they not know Sean Lee is being handled the same way in his final year here?

He will be a LBer coach for us.

Both will probably return next year as assistant coaches.

No doubt they have been told this and they have been told to pay attention to their position coaches this season to prepare themselves.

I am all for this.

Garrett and the FO are obviously happy with their progress of former players being coaches like Columbo and Lett and others.

I remember very well Landry taking Ditka and Reeves as assistant coaches and them succeeding in the league themselves.

Also add Jack Del Rio, Ken Norton, Jr and Everson Walls as assistant coaches as former Cowboy players and it's nice to see the influence our franchise has and continues to have.

Of course just look at the broadcast booth for more..Aikman, Jimster, Woody, Moose, Romo, etc.

And Moose did a great job as GM of the recently folded San Antonio Commanders in the AFF.

Like to see us hire him for the FO in some capacity. He was excellent here in SA.

Comments from the peanut gallery?

Simply having them to groom the other guys *this year* is big.

Schultz seems like the same kind of balanced blocker/receiver as Witten. He's our top TE pick, and he's the guy who should be modeling himself after Witten.

But much bigger is having Lee available for another year of development of LVE and Jaylon. Investing in some coaching from Lee this year for those guys is cap well spent.

And I don't see why people are dismissing what they can bring on the field.

Lee had a bad season last year, but the upside on him is huge if he can get his body right. Even if he's just an average player himself, simply getting his brain on the field is a bump for the defense. Is there any LB in the league you'd rather have making on the field, on the fly pre snap adjustments? Is there anyone who seriously would prefer Damien Wilson as our 3rd? Normally we really cheap out on out 3rd LB. Now we've got Lee.

I'm pumped about the upside for a LVE, Smith, Lee LB trio. It could be incredible if Lee is back to being basically healthy, though physically not the All Pro he was in 2016. There's a long way to drop from being an All Pro.

As for Witten, he feels a little overpriced to me, but really, compared vs. our usual free agent veteran bridge players, he's better.

Also, Linehan was just killing Witten with the stick routes. Witten from a standing start, with his back facing downfield, is not destined for a big gain. Watching a Kellen Moore video, the middle routes tended to slant downfield. I expect the Y Option to make a comeback. I bet Witten's yards per reception go back above 10. Maybe 11. And his catch rate has always been good, and remained so with Dak. We needed to replace Beasley's productions for 3rd down conversions in the middle of the field, and Witten and Cobb should be great for that.

In 2018, I figured Witten had 3 more years in him, easy. Maybe 5. He gave up his step long ago, and has always been tank. The glide path for TEs like him is very gentle. I bet Gonzales could still be playing in his 40s.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
53 on a roster and 45 dress on game day.

Using on of those precious spots to groom a position coach is a ridiculous concept. They're on the team because our leadership thinks they can contribute. If that's not the case, this organization is insane.

Also, Witten has played 15 years in the NFL. An extra year isn't suddenly going to prepare him to be a coach. He could coach today if he wanted.
"Yer' words are truly deemed most wise in it's proscribed vectored angle of perception, therefore I shall conduct an in depth& of further detailed quested effort into yer' worthiness in my ultimate decision on if Feudian creed dictates just yet,as to weather I like you or not,,, as yer' still suffering the membership newness of scrutiny ,as to where you could possibly be an under the wire sapper EAGLES FAN sleeper mole agent rato_O
( unfortunately internal security has instantaneously glommed upon yer recent membership,Rowdy avatar # 1481 & yer' utterly obvious NON-disclosure as to just which geographical local in which you conduct yer' #2 bizness paperwork at,,,ya see?

*should you wish to address such glaring discrepancies post haste/ Ricky tick? ,,,yer more than likely a shoe-in:thumbup:,,,er,,,yer' posted age not withstanding:starspin:

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
The notion that Witten at 37 or Sean Lee needs another year to be groomed to be a coach is nonsense, they forgot more about how to play the position than those who coach them......I love the guy, but Witten's 37, a year away from the game, He's not going to want to play a limited role, he's lost two steps and can't even stretch the field anymore, he should have stayed retired....
I don’t disagree , however no offense but, exactly WHEN did Witten stretch the field ?

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I don’t disagree , however no offense but, exactly WHEN did Witten stretch the field ?
Well, in "16" against Cincy he'd displayed his classic stiff armed #82 old man strength for another 10-20 yards tacked on ATC,,, also,Cheft, that broken nosed helmet-less BOSS STUD MAN romp down the right sidelines vs.Philly is forever& indelible chiseled upon the barracks walls walkway of the LEGION FANDOM:starspin:

*any fan of ,,,er,,,:huh:,,,2 years comatose vegetative life support state of circumstance? Could easily pass that on to you in expelled gaseous smell-mail,,,o_O

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
"qualified" opinion...

okay
Trying to qualify with logic.

Don't tell me you would not enjoy either Witten or Lee doing interviews instead of a Linehan.

That guy was worst than Garrett when explaining why he should not be held accountable for a gaff.

Real players with real experience are going to be much more palapatal.

Coaches and coach-speak always leave me not trusting.

Just me.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Well, in "16" against Cincy he'd displayed his classic stiff armed #82 old man strength for another 10-20 yards tacked on ATC,,, also,Cheft, that broken nosed helmet-less BOSS STUD MAN romp down the right sidelines vs.Philly is forever& indelible chiseled upon the barracks walls walkway of the LEGION FANDOM:starspin:

*any fan of ,,,er,,,:huh:,,,2 years comatose vegetative life support state of circumstance? Could easily pass that on to you in expelled gaseous smell-mail,,,o_O
I can’t tell if you’re being a ****** or funny ... To me stretching the field means plays were designed for the person to go deep :. I love Witten but really don’t recall him speeding down the field too often .. I mean he had a long avg in the 30’s with a couple years where he actually went 64 and 69 yards.. the helmetless run with the Madden slobber knocker tough guy call was priceless ... he had some great games but again I think most feared his underneath routes and ability to convert those 3rd downs

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I can’t tell if you’re being a ****** or funny ... To me stretching the field means plays were designed for the person to go deep :. I love Witten but really don’t recall him speeding down the field too often .. I mean he had a long avg in the 30’s with a couple years where he actually went 64 and 69 yards.. the helmetless run with the Madden slobber knocker tough guy call was priceless ... he had some great games but again I think most feared his underneath routes and ability to convert those 3rd downs

:laugh:
I value my perceived endearing friendship with you to much to just ,,,overtly & in a ****** blatant fashion,to play post around like that,Man!,,,,I guess,as that blending of the opposite ends of the opposed spectrums query of extremes is the only way to read me,to begin with,,,ya know,Bro?,,, as I've learned it does tend to generate the most suitable & studied resolve to the formulating of my posted,,,'views':)

* and yer' right ,#82 never having been acclaimed for his blazer down field speed,( although,his innate ability in achieving separation/ anytday/timed catchability in his game,as well, in conjunction with the #9 utilizing to the continuous good effect that T.E. produced on any given game day has for all apparent purposes cemented him into the hallowed halls of F.O. fandom,,,& to bemoan & wail against that such upper dictates of logic in ones comprehension is ,,well,,, kinda' akin to being all pissed off cuz' the mailman keeps macing yer' dog/ yer dog ups his vicious hate towards the little white 2 wheel drive hardtop jeep, till you yell at the mail person and end up punching a wall stud & breaking bones in yer hand,,,and ,,,er ,,,if yer' an automotive mechanic, OR, say an employee at that ORCHID of ASIA DAY SPA ,,,well,,, it'd prolly be safe to assume that "others" could easily replace you,,,ya know?:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

hey bro's! I derive so much enjoyment from being a fellow member here& marking time till the scheduled dirt nap I know is coming up, y'all couldn't fully appreciate it
:starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:

JayFord

Reaction score
Why? That just means he got beat out. Why would you want him on the field if he doesn't deserve it?

I’m fine with witten not playing a lot I’m just not fine with cutting him

It’s like if when magic johnson came back the lakers cut him

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
:huh:
:laugh:
I value my perceived endearing friendship with you to much to just ,,,overtly & in a ****** blatant fashion,to play post around like that,Man!,,,,I guess,as that blending of the opposite ends of the opposed spectrums query of extremes is the only way to read me,to begin with,,,ya know,Bro?,,, as I've learned it does tend to generate the most suitable & studied resolve to the formulating of my posted,,,'views':)

* and yer' right ,#82 never having been acclaimed for his blazer down field speed,( although,his innate ability in achieving separation/ anytday/timed catchability in his game,as well, in conjunction with the #9 utilizing to the continuous good effect that T.E. produced on any given game day has for all apparent purposes cemented him into the hallowed halls of F.O. fandom,,,& to bemoan & wail against that such upper dictates of logic in ones comprehension is ,,well,,, kinda' akin to being all pissed off cuz' the mailman keeps macing yer' dog/ yer dog ups his vicious hate towards the little white 2 wheel drive hardtop jeep, till you yell at the mail person and end up punching a wall stud & breaking bones in yer hand,,,and ,,,er ,,,if yer' an automotive mechanic, OR, say an employee at that ORCHID of ASIA DAY SPA ,,,well,,, it'd prolly be safe to assume that "others" could easily replace you,,,ya know?:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

hey bro's! I derive so much enjoyment from being a fellow member here& marking time till the scheduled dirt nap I know is coming up, y'all couldn't fully appreciate it
:starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:

Ummm ok ? :huh:

Jason Witten Rules :flagwave:

Friend ..:grin:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
All this hully baloo about why Witten came back from the booth to play for us again is so elementary.

People complain he is over the hill,etc.

Nonsense.

Do they not realize he is being groomed as a future assistant coach for TEs after he retires?

Do they not know Sean Lee is being handled the same way in his final year here?

He will be a LBer coach for us.

Both will probably return next year as assistant coaches.

No doubt they have been told this and they have been told to pay attention to their position coaches this season to prepare themselves.

I am all for this.

Garrett and the FO are obviously happy with their progress of former players being coaches like Columbo and Lett and others.

I remember very well Landry taking Ditka and Reeves as assistant coaches and them succeeding in the league themselves.

Also add Jack Del Rio, Ken Norton, Jr and Everson Walls as assistant coaches as former Cowboy players and it's nice to see the influence our franchise has and continues to have.

Of course just look at the broadcast booth for more..Aikman, Jimster, Woody, Moose, Romo, etc.

And Moose did a great job as GM of the recently folded San Antonio Commanders in the AFF.

Like to see us hire him for the FO in some capacity. He was excellent here in SA.

Comments from the peanut gallery?
For those critical of my suggestion about Witten coaching for us..

this was copied off a Cowboys beat writer here on our site on Sunday.

This guy has been reading my posts..haha.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tight end
Jason Witten will certainly limit the available snaps for any tight end taken this year, but given his age, it is also pretty much a given that the team will need one in 2020. (He may prove me wrong, but I think this year is a way to transition to coaching after the broadcast thing flopped for him.) Many saw Witten’s return as really pushing the need to take a tight end down the list of priorities, but that seems a bit too short-term a way to look at it.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
For those critical of my suggestion about Witten coaching for us..

this was copied off a Cowboys beat writer here on our site on Sunday.

This guy has been reading my posts..haha.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tight end
Jason Witten will certainly limit the available snaps for any tight end taken this year, but given his age, it is also pretty much a given that the team will need one in 2020. (He may prove me wrong, but I think this year is a way to transition to coaching after the broadcast thing flopped for him.) Many saw Witten’s return as really pushing the need to take a tight end down the list of priorities, but that seems a bit too short-term a way to look at it.
,,er,,perhaps, yet,, I almost thought you'd quoted yer own previously published esteemed literary gems of jewel quality doctrine,,, :thumbup:

* I really should attempt to consume more fresh green beans& carrots into my supply line:facepalm:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
,,er,,perhaps, yet,, I almost thought you'd quoted yer own previously published esteemed literary gems of jewel quality doctrine,,, :thumbup:

* I really should attempt to consume more fresh green beans& carrots into my supply line:facepalm:
Yeah bro..

You know I am here for the clicks.

Isn't everybody?

:angry:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off, good plan.

Second, those 2 "may" make good coaches. Lee for instance I believe has a future as a coordinator not a coach so much. There's a difference

Third, bad timing, if we were in rebuild mode with no chance of contending, I'd say Okay.

But were not rebuilding, we are contenders, so I want players ready to help, not players who are ineffective or not dependable (injuries) on the roster. If Jason really believed he was still effective, he would have never left.

If they're truly passionate about coaching, take the big pay cut and develop your craft. There's a old adage in football usually the best players make the worst coaches. Think about that, it makes sense.