For those critical of Witten's return

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
All this hully baloo about why Witten came back from the booth to play for us again is so elementary.

People complain he is over the hill,etc.

Nonsense.

Do they not realize he is being groomed as a future assistant coach for TEs after he retires?

Do they not know Sean Lee is being handled the same way in his final year here?

He will be a LBer coach for us.

Both will probably return next year as assistant coaches.

No doubt they have been told this and they have been told to pay attention to their position coaches this season to prepare themselves.

I am all for this.

Garrett and the FO are obviously happy with their progress of former players being coaches like Columbo and Lett and others.

I remember very well Landry taking Ditka and Reeves as assistant coaches and them succeeding in the league themselves.

Also add Jack Del Rio, Ken Norton, Jr and Everson Walls as assistant coaches as former Cowboy players and it's nice to see the influence our franchise has and continues to have.

Of course just look at the broadcast booth for more..Aikman, Jimster, Woody, Moose, Romo, etc.

And Moose did a great job as GM of the recently folded San Antonio Commanders in the AFF.

Like to see us hire him for the FO in some capacity. He was excellent here in SA.

Comments from the peanut gallery?
Aww! You are nuts! You AND Witten are over the hill!

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It's nice to be 'vouched'.

Haven't been 'vouched' since the 1st GF did it in the front seat of my '66 Mustang.

It was a '''hummer brother".

:eek:
That's some serious vouching! My vouching tends to not go in that particular direction, but everyone has their own method.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don’t hate the move but that’s a lot of salary from our cap for two assistant coaches.

Hire him as a coach then. Players don’t need to be groomed as a player.

they both can still play enough to earn their salaries plus the character and leadership will go along way in the locker room , sideline, and huddles.

sure this will give them a stepping stone and way to say goodbye into coaching.. this staff didnt JUST bring them into coach , they both are relatively cheap hasn't the cap and can still play to the compensations level..

I'm with the OP in the sense that the hate and outrage and especially the mocking of two great players who were also great people on and off the field to get that kind of reactions was verty disrespectful..

RIP RG, rip hardy, Mbennett and the likes of that loser DI but Witten and Lee deserve better, Until dez wouldn't leave SM alone and all the payback tweets and ripping teammates he was on my protected list as well but no more he burnt that bridge :)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten was drowning in the broadcast booth and Jerry threw him a lifeline.

He shouldn't be on the field. He can't run. He makes Frankensteins monster look agile and nimble by comparison.

Jerry should have hired him as a coach and leave it at that.
Anyone that can make Frankenstein’s monster look agile AND nimble has a talent. I say embrace it.

robjay04

Reaction score
they both can still play enough to earn their salaries plus the character and leadership will go along way in the locker room , sideline, and huddles.

sure this will give them a stepping stone and way to say goodbye into coaching.. this staff didnt JUST bring them into coach , they both are relatively cheap hasn't the cap and can still play to the compensations level..

I'm with the OP in the sense that the hate and outrage and especially the mocking of two great players who were also great people on and off the field to get that kind of reactions was verty disrespectful..

RIP RG, rip hardy, Mbennett and the likes of that loser DI but Witten and Lee deserve better, Until dez wouldn't leave SM alone and all the payback tweets and ripping teammates he was on my protected list as well but no more he burnt that bridge :)

As I said...I am not mad but you don’t allocate cap space to groom coaches so they need to earn it with their play.

Sean Lee is one of Gregory’s biggest supporters, he doesn’t belong listed with the likes of Irving...much less Hardy.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Wonder how a player/coach would be handled under the cap? Would the salary be split in half?

I suspect he'd still count entirely against the cap. Otherwise, teams would abuse the "player/coach" designation.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
All this hully baloo about why Witten came back from the booth to play for us again is so elementary.

People complain he is over the hill,etc.

Nonsense.

Do they not realize he is being groomed as a future assistant coach for TEs after he retires?

Do they not know Sean Lee is being handled the same way in his final year here?

He will be a LBer coach for us.

Both will probably return next year as assistant coaches.

No doubt they have been told this and they have been told to pay attention to their position coaches this season to prepare themselves.

I am all for this.

Garrett and the FO are obviously happy with their progress of former players being coaches like Columbo and Lett and others.

I remember very well Landry taking Ditka and Reeves as assistant coaches and them succeeding in the league themselves.

Also add Jack Del Rio, Ken Norton, Jr and Everson Walls as assistant coaches as former Cowboy players and it's nice to see the influence our franchise has and continues to have.

Of course just look at the broadcast booth for more..Aikman, Jimster, Woody, Moose, Romo, etc.

And Moose did a great job as GM of the recently folded San Antonio Commanders in the AFF.

Like to see us hire him for the FO in some capacity. He was excellent here in SA.

Comments from the peanut gallery?

Witt? Over the hill? Which hill? Is there a Witch Hill? Would he be a great coach? Who knows. Some play better than others, some teach better than others. Sometimes the two add up to three and sometimes they don't.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

He shouldn't be on the field. He can't run. He makes Frankensteins monster look agile and nimble by comparison.

:laugh:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The things that concern me about the return of Jason Witten:
  • Being sentimental for former great players is what fans do. Not what successful front offices do.
  • Like most Cowboys fans, I love JW and his contributions to the Cowboys. But I don’t love this return.
  • Would any other NFL franchise sign Witten at 37 at this point in his career? I doubt many would.
  • The odds of a 37 year old TE, who has taken a year off, being able to step back in and play at a high level, cannot be high.
  • If the Cowboys want him to become an Asst Coach, just hire him to do that. There’s no cap on what teams spend on coaches.
  • Jason Witten joins the ranks of too many great athletes who didn’t recognize that Father Time has already knocked on their door. Over the years, I have watched too many all time greats like Micheal Jordan, Johnny Unitas, Muhammad Ali, Willie Mays, (and others) falsely believe that they “still had it”. Great athletes rarely recognize their own humanity.
Again, I love Witten. Which is why I hate this move. I don’t think it’s good for the team or him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't know what is in Witten future beyond this season. I do know Dallas was one the worst teams on 3rd down conversions last season and yet the year before was around the top in in 3rd down conversions. Witten I feel can still help this team in terms of blocking and moving the chains. He is a reliable target and safety net for Dak. If coaching is in his future that is great I'm sure he can teach young TE but right now I just want him helping this offense

cern

Reaction score
I believe I suggested them as assistants to their positions..

I did not say immediate replacements for their position coaches.

Coaches in training for future consideration.

This is not a revelation.

Both have been mentioned as coaches before.
mentioned by whom?

cern

Reaction score
I think witten has more to bring to the table as a player than lee. but lee would be the better coach. still hope neither becomes a progress stopped for some up and coming player.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Wonder how a player/coach would be handled under the cap? Would the salary be split in half?

You would only be paid as a player. Right now Lee would come as close to player/coach he spends a lot of time with the LB'ers and working with them but he is only paid as a player.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
mentioned by whom?
I have seen it mentioned in several writers stories.

I am not pulling it out with wishful thinking

My personal preference is it would be fine.

We have a very young team and need help.

Jerrah hires from within.

I would too.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I do not blame Witten for his opportunity. I blame the GM for making that opportunity available.

Witten had a chance to mentor TEs...he did not take on that role for Martellus Bennett, Gavin Escobar, or James Hanna. Witten is a Hall of Fame TE. But while he is a player he is not going to be anyone's mentor. That is proven.

In regard to Ditka, that is not a good comparison as the Bears (Halas) did not want to pay him as a game changing TE because TE were considered the 6th lineman. So Ditka was traded to Philly and then Dallas who had a multiple offense (designed by Landry) that would feature the TE.

When Ditka retired, the Cowboys immediately drafted the talented Billy Joe Dupree in the 1st round. Ditka was his position coach. I do not see the Dallas Cowboys doing this (they do not have a 1st round pick) as Witten is not ready to coach or mentor this year. Also, Ditka retired with 12 seasons in the NFL and came to Dallas for his 9th season. This will be Witten's 16th season after retiring his 15th season. So that is not an apple to apple comparison.

So I do question the signing of a 36 year old TE that can not only play for your team but start. That is not ideal player personnel management. That is not a long term solution for a young team with young leaders. The dumbo GM failed again.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

Exactly. Not one single team out there would have touched Witten. At all. Yet we give him a contract to go out there and run 3 yard outs and fall down. It's a pathetic case of charity/. But of course so many of ours fans applauded it and thought it was so great he was coming back. We celebrate and embrace mediocrity.