For those that don't want to re-sign Dak, then who?

75boyz

Reaction score
You have no idea who might become available. Did you think the Broncos were thinking that they could replace Tim Tebow with Peyton Manning during Tebow's final year in Denver? The point is you can't tie yourself up to mediocrity because if and when a better option comes along you have your hands tied.

And for the record I would take all 4 QB that were drafted in R1 2018 over Dak. Trubisky and Watson in 2017. Goff, Wentz, and Mahomes in 2016. All better than Dak. Are you presuming to know what the available QB talent pool is going to be over the next few years?

Exactly. I share your opinion of all the quarterbacks you mentioned as well. And when acquiring such blue chip potential QB nowadays its not taking them forever to translate their college talent to on field NFL success as this group you mentioned has risen to the best of the best in 2 years mostly.

Im no more qualified than any other armchair GM on this board but my very amateur eyes tell me Tua fits the part. Possibly Fromm as well. Havent seen enough of Herbert but we wouldnt have a first to offer in a package deal if considering him next year anyway.

Heck, theres even precedence that rookie QBs, provided they have the talent, can win a Super Bowl if the running game, defense and receivers do their part like when Big Ben was drafted and won his first year.

Come on Jerry, draft the blue chip signal caller. "Please"

Last edited:

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Top FAs this offseason look to be - Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, maybe Sam Bradford or Robert Griffin III

None of them are the answer, and none are going to be particularly cheap. With our pick in the late 2nd, we aren't getting a marquee QB.

Dak isn't an A or A- QB. He isn't a B+, but he is a B / B- guy with upside remaining. He's the type of guy you should want to keep around.

I guess if Dak isn't the answer then the best route is to go through the draft. And that would be mainly if there's a high QB prospect almost guaranteed to step in and become a better NFL QB than Dak and who can be sure to take the Cowboys further than Dak can as a franchise. So, finding an NFL QB and a true franchise QB is more difficult than it sounds. Which is why I hope that Dak works out in the end and becomes consistent enough to take the Cowboys places.

Even while being open minded enough to draft a top prospect QB down the road, if one becomes available, it Dak isn't the answer.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
This is why we are signing him long term. Cause Jerry won’t want to be wrong bout letting him go and go through so many other qbs like we did Fromm aikman to Romo!!!

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
All the Dak detractors are full of reasons why Dak sux.....but when asked who they would get, you either get a crickets response or some pipe dream that someone in the draft (when we don’t have a first round pick) is a for sure thing. Or, they propose some veteran like Stafford or Flacco who will command big money and are on the back side of their career.

Sometimes just thinking the future unknown is automatically better than what we have is not very well thought out. Dak isn’t a top tier QB, but he’s still only 25, and he’s already shown he can win in the regular season without great stats.

Besides, this isn’t fantasy football where stats really matter. This is real football where wins matter. I know Dak has some limitations and flaws. But just thinking getting rid of him is an automatic upgrade is just stupid.

Cowboys could try to trade for Stafford or Carr for a big amount of money and a contract. But, then still risk the QB not living up to the expectations of taking the franchise where Cowboys fans want the team to go. And if these QBs don't deliver the playoff or Superbowl results that some assume they can just be plugged into the Cowboys and get, then the Cowboys are on the hook for paying these QBs a bunch of money, for lack luster results.

How is that any different than giving more money to Dak, for the Dak doubters, who don't believe he is worth another contract? And there's a chance that Dak would be paid less money in his new contract, than a veteran QB would be paid in their's, if the Cowboys traded for one.

But, some Dak doubters believe that all the Cowboys need to do is plug in a different QB and we are Superbowl bound.

75boyz

Reaction score
This is why we are signing him long term. Cause Jerry won’t want to be wrong bout letting him go and go through so many other qbs like we did Fromm aikman to Romo!!!

Yep, and just like he won't admit he was wrong on countless other poor football personnel decisions that resulted in the current Cowboys 23 year reign of futility.

Ego and humility can not co-exist with our owner. I keep hoping it can only to be let down year after year.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
You are forgetting both Joe Flacco and Jameis Winston will be available maybe for aground $15M per year.

Dak is better than Winston. Winston has had multiple INT games, that Dak would get lambasted for if he had them.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Flacco is 33, 2 years younger than Rodgers. We are trying to win a super Bowl since we have all the pieces except at QB.

Winston can at least poor fear in the back end with deep throws both are better than Dak.
It would be intercepted, lol.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Top FAs this offseason look to be - Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, maybe Sam Bradford or Robert Griffin III

None of them are the answer, and none are going to be particularly cheap. With our pick in the late 2nd, we aren't getting a marquee QB.

Dak isn't an A or A- QB. He isn't a B+, but he is a B / B- guy with upside remaining. He's the type of guy you should want to keep around.
It doesn't matter who the QB would be, he will just be the new punching bag for the "pit of misery" group that keeps hijacking all the threads with negative comments on Dak. He new QB would be like the past QBs in their eyes.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
If you don't give him a shot with a team out on the next contract, I rather tank and go drafting in 2020

Not mediocre fa that won't be the franchise guy .I rather white and rush get a try than those mentioned.

My God I can't believe how many people actually want to tank a season when we're one of the hottest teams in football right now. The stupidity.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
My God I can't believe how many people actually want to tank a season when we're one of the hottest teams in football right now. The stupidity.
I think the fear is that the ceiling of this team is winning the worst division in football and then taking an early exit in the playoffs. I don’t necessarily agree with that, but I will admit that those people could very well be right.

Dbeastmode21

Reaction score
Sometimes i wonder if dak haters know you look stupid to keep going after him.won 14 games in his rookie season,won 9 games last season with oline problems while running for his life.he starts learning tot read the defense and the only thing he needs to work on is his accuracy,i agree he needs to work on that but look around the NFL,almost every qb has:popcorn:

cowboyec

Reaction score
I believe they WILL re-sign Dak.
but if they decided not to....the best way to go is thru the draft.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
I think the fear is that the ceiling of this team is winning the worst division in football and then taking an early exit in the playoffs. I don’t necessarily agree with that, but I will admit that those people could very well be right.

So the smartest thing to do is tank an entire season when that doesn't guarantee anything not even the QB you want, and not even knowing if that QB will succeed in the NFL just because they're unhappy with Dak. It makes absolutely no sense. No way in hell would the team allow that anyway so it's not even worth talking about, just silly fan talk.

Jerry to the team: we want you to lose as many games as possible because we're after Tuo in next draft. Losing is the new winning, now go out there and lose some games. If we win games you'll likely be cut or traded.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
So the smartest thing to do is tank an entire season when that doesn't guarantee anything not even the QB you want, and not even knowing if that QB will succeed in the NFL just because they're unhappy with Dak. It makes absolutely no sense.
Well, virtually no team “tanks” on purpose. But sometimes enduring a 2015 type season in order to get a couple of studs in the first 35 picks or so is the best thing for the long term.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Well, virtually no team “tanks” on purpose. But sometimes enduring a 2015 type season in order to get a couple of studs in the first 35 picks or so is the best thing for the long term.

So you want to tank by accident? LOL. Just accept the concept is ridiculous and there's no way it's going to happen.

We didn't tank in 2015 at all anyway. Our QB legit got injured. That's not tanking.

Tanking means losing games on purpose. Just being a bad team without a QB is not tanking.

Last edited:

ClintDagger

Reaction score
So you want to tank by accident? LOL. Just accept the concept is ridiuclous and there's no way it's going to happen.

We didn't tank in 2015 at all anyway. Our QB legit got injured. That's not tanking.

Tanking means losing games on purpose. Just being a bad team without a QB is not tanking.
Show me where I said I wanted us to tank. I was explaining to you why some people aren’t excited about a low ceiling team.

You seem overly fired up over an internet message board. Go get some fresh air buddy.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Show me where I said I wanted us to tank. I was explaining to you why some people aren’t excited about a low ceiling team.

You seem overly fired up over an internet message board. Go get some fresh air buddy.

You're just looking silly and going on the defense. You've already said "I think the fear is that the ceiling of this team is winning the worst division in football and then taking an early exit in the playoffs. I don’t necessarily agree with that, but I will admit that those people could very well be right." "But sometimes enduring a 2015 type season in order to get a couple of studs in the first 35 picks or so is the best thing for the long term."

That's a loser attitude that you've got. Nobody knows the ceiling of this team yet except Dak haters think they do.

dallas72

Reaction score

WHY? .let him play out his 4th year....then you can always sign him then or Franchise tag...no need to hinder this team next year with a QB making 25+...and u get another full year to evaluate or draft