For those that don't want to re-sign Dak, then who?

75boyz

Reaction score
I'll never understand the thought process of "settling" for a second rate QB and then propping up your argument by offering other choices like Flacco who are no better. If you really want a QB then you offer up a guy like Lawrence who could command at least a 1st round pick. Even guys like Jaylon Smith or Byron Jones that I think could command a 1st round pick the way they're playing. I'd trade DL, CB and/or LB every day for a potential QB.

And if Gruden isn't sold on Carr, then I'd offer him a first or 2nd round pick as well. If we offered a 1st round pick for a WR, then I'd have no issue doing the same for a QB which is the most important position on the field, hands down. It's just that important. If I recall correctly, the Eagles didn't have the picks to draft a QB in 2016 but they traded Bradford for a 1st and packaged a deal to move up. Whether anyone thinks that Wentz is a good QB or not is not the point. If that's what we wanted to do as a franchise, then you plan for it and get it done and take a chance to acquire a franchise QB.

And I already know what the next argument will be to my post. Someone will point out all the 1st round busts. And I'll just say with that mindset you'll always be stuck in the mud with a second rate guy because you'll either be too afraid or never feel that you can do better. And we can do far better at QB than Prescott.

Just scrolled up and read this impressive rebuttal which pretty much covers all the bases. I am in your camp as well.

75boyz

Reaction score
For the record, I’m for keeping Dak. But right now his arm is not worth 20+ million a year. Leadership, mobility, durability, yes, but it’s a “passing league”. 17-18 million a year max for me on a 3 year deal with option for a 4th year. Probably couldn’t sign him for that though.
I think we could get the same production from Tyrod Taylor for 12-15 million a year. To be honest, Tyrod is better/faster with his legs, has a quicker release, and is a better passer. He’s been on some bad teams and got a bad rep but could be a hidden gem in the right situation. I love Dak as a leader, but would like to see more development with his arm before we back up the Brinks truck.
Nice, accurate and honest breakdown of Daks passing limitations along with a player suggestion alternative. Nice job bro.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I still don’t see any reason why Dak couldn’t be immediately replaced with minimal loss by another mid-round quarterback. Dak was and continues to be the prototypical mid round college QB: smart, successful 3-4 year career, middling and below physical talent. As long as you draft carefully and get a guy who can actually play (realizing he plays at a lower level than a first rounder) and don’t get a project (like Mike White), I don’t see why you would see much of a drop off. Or to summarize the above: handing off to Zeke isn’t that hard.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I would stick with Dak. He's not the problem. The coach and the playcalling is. We fix the playbook and an offensive minded coach this offense will start to sing.

Sign Dak for 18 million a year. Get better coaches. Dump the Garrett playbook. Problem solved.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Top FAs this offseason look to be - Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, maybe Sam Bradford or Robert Griffin III

None of them are the answer, and none are going to be particularly cheap. With our pick in the late 2nd, we aren't getting a marquee QB.

Dak isn't an A or A- QB. He isn't a B+, but he is a B / B- guy with upside remaining. He's the type of guy you should want to keep around.
Most wins in the last 3 seasons. If that is a B- then I'll take it. I remember a QB that led us to 8-8 3 seasons in a row....

TheCritic

Reaction score
Kellen Moore is currently working his magic to get his hand-picked protégée Mike White ready to take over once Dak's contract is up. I trust in Kellen Moore!

Hardline

Reaction score
Dak is a good backup qb, not more.

He has 1 more years on his contract. 5th year opt & 1 FT at least. Thats 3 full years for the FO to either trade or draft his follower.

Next year isnt a good QB year. Either in FA or the draft..so we should have saved all our resources for 2020. But then came the pooper....

Well now we are deep into it....
Only first rounders get 5th year options.

Redline360

Reaction score
See I believe we could simply replace dak with another mediocre quarterback at a cheaper price but what would that accomplish?

The main problem stems from the coaching staff and etc. Go out and get a big name quarterback to run the same one dimensional offense?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Top FAs this offseason look to be - Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, maybe Sam Bradford or Robert Griffin III

None of them are the answer, and none are going to be particularly cheap. With our pick in the late 2nd, we aren't getting a marquee QB.

Dak isn't an A or A- QB. He isn't a B+, but he is a B / B- guy with upside remaining. He's the type of guy you should want to keep around.
doesnt look like there is much of a choice
even looking at who can be had in trades doesnt get me excited - Dalton, Flacco, Foles, Bortles, Carr, Chase Daniel? nah
got to stick w Dak for the window we have now with this D and Zeke and still ok O line

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I guess if Dak isn't the answer then the best route is to go through the draft. And that would be mainly if there's a high QB prospect almost guaranteed to step in and become a better NFL QB than Dak and who can be sure to take the Cowboys further than Dak can as a franchise. So, finding an NFL QB and a true franchise QB is more difficult than it sounds. Which is why I hope that Dak works out in the end and becomes consistent enough to take the Cowboys places.

Even while being open minded enough to draft a top prospect QB down the road, if one becomes available, it Dak isn't the answer.
agreed. its difficult to find a franchise QB and teams will do anything to find one, including giving up multiple 1st round picks....and almost no QB is going to come to the league and be better....but the question is how high is Dak's ceiling. and when. compared to a rookie high round pick? what's the ceiling and when. given we don't have a first round pick, I doubt if we do anything this year, but if its another year of mediocrity then we have no choice but to start the search and be very aggressive.

so is this a Super Bowl ready team? can Das get us there? can we get by in the playoffs with average passing attack? the defense is ready. the running game is ready. we have good WR group. is Dak ready? can he?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'll never understand the thought process of "settling" for a second rate QB and then propping up your argument by offering other choices like Flacco who are no better. If you really want a QB then you offer up a guy like Lawrence who could command at least a 1st round pick. Even guys like Jaylon Smith or Byron Jones that I think could command a 1st round pick the way they're playing. I'd trade DL, CB and/or LB every day for a potential QB.

And if Gruden isn't sold on Carr, then I'd offer him a first or 2nd round pick as well. If we offered a 1st round pick for a WR, then I'd have no issue doing the same for a QB which is the most important position on the field, hands down. It's just that important. If I recall correctly, the Eagles didn't have the picks to draft a QB in 2016 but they traded Bradford for a 1st and packaged a deal to move up. Whether anyone thinks that Wentz is a good QB or not is not the point. If that's what we wanted to do as a franchise, then you plan for it and get it done and take a chance to acquire a franchise QB.

And I already know what the next argument will be to my post. Someone will point out all the 1st round busts. And I'll just say with that mindset you'll always be stuck in the mud with a second rate guy because you'll either be too afraid or never feel that you can do better. And we can do far better at QB than Prescott.
:hammer:

HanD

Reaction score
My God I can't believe how many people actually want to tank a season when we're one of the hottest teams in football right now. The stupidity.
If the option is that Dak wants too much in 2020 and we can't resign him to something reasonable, I rather tank than play journeymen .No one is talking about right now....

HanD

Reaction score
What makes you think you can tank, let say to 2-12, and bounce back to a playoff team within a couple years ( since you mention not wanting to Zeke contract years). Not to mention guarantee you have of drafting your targeted player.

BTW.....what free agent or player for that matter wanna play for a coach/team who intentionally lose games to draft rookies.

I rather not play with a journeyman non franchise qb .you either have one or you don't I'm .Those that don't rarely go far .

bodi

Reaction score
you get Derek Carr age 27

gruden does not want him

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I am not sure why this question keeps coming up. It's a question for people worried about 2019 and 2019 only. I have no use for that thinking when talking about QB.

Last edited:

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I am not sure why this question keeps coming up. It's a question for people worried about 2019 and 2019 only. I have no use for that thinking when talking about QB.
I brought it back up to try to end it.

We aren't getting a marquee QB without trading the farm.

The best guy possibly on the market is Stafford and he'll cost our 2019 2nd and 2020 1st at minimum.

Dak's our guy,. Get used to it.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Most wins in the last 3 seasons. If that is a B- then I'll take it. I remember a QB that led us to 8-8 3 seasons in a row....
The guy is one of the most clutch in the league. Along with Newton and Watson, one of the best 3 rushing QBs in the league. A pocket passer he is not. He is solid, and continues to improve however.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The guy is one of the most clutch in the league. Along with Newton and Watson, one of the best 3 rushing QBs in the league. A pocket passer he is not. He is solid, and continues to improve however.
A pocket passer he is not...when teams blitz him and he has to hurry his throws.

coult44

Reaction score
If you don't give him a shot with a team out on the next contract, I rather tank and go drafting in 2020

Not mediocre fa that won't be the franchise guy .I rather white and rush get a try than those mentioned.

So you want the Dallas Cowboys to lose games on purpose and gamble that you might draft a QB that might work out? And waste this defense, and Zekes best years, while we put a QB in training for a few years and hope it pans out? Yep, your a smart fella.....Why even care?