For those that don't want to re-sign Dak, then who?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What would be wrong with letting him play out this last year of his contract? Other than they already said they plan on giving him a new deal?

The Ravens let Flacco play his out and he won a ring and 20M a season. The Skins let Cousins play his out and tagged him.

Am I the only one that wants to see Prescott play in a contract year? Just what's the freakin' hurry?

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
All the Dak detractors are full of reasons why Dak sux.....but when asked who they would get, you either get a crickets response or some pipe dream that someone in the draft (when we don’t have a first round pick) is a for sure thing. Or, they propose some veteran like Stafford or Flacco who will command big money and are on the back side of their career.

Sometimes just thinking the future unknown is automatically better than what we have is not very well thought out. Dak isn’t a top tier QB, but he’s still only 25, and he’s already shown he can win in the regular season without great stats.

Besides, this isn’t fantasy football where stats really matter. This is real football where wins matter. I know Dak has some limitations and flaws. But just thinking getting rid of him is an automatic upgrade is just stupid.

Nice post Bob.

I wouldn't call myself a Dak detractor, I like the kid. But even with everything you said, which I agree with, I think it's fair to ask if he's shown enough to command 25 million a year. Personally, im waiting till end of year to start trying to make my mind up on that.

The point I'm trying to make is that even if our options look bad outside of Dak, we have to consider if a long term, high dollar commitment is just another bad option in disguise.

Maybe by the time contract talks heat up, it's clearly a good option. I'm optimistic. Maybe it's the best of the bad options, which seems certainly true. Dak isn't as bad as people say. Or maybe by then, a couple years under a veteran QB while we do a QB manhunt is our best option. As a historical example, consider the 2 Bledsoe years before we handed over to Romo.

As a final consideration, everyone is acting like the only way to get a top QB in draft is to tank, and this roster is too good to tank. I disagree. If you're that confident that you are only 1 player away, 1 QB away, then bite the bullet. Pull a KC. Bundle the picks, jump to the top of the 1st, get your QB.

In the modern NFL, if you believe your team just needs a QB, and you believe in a QB in the draft, then go and get him.

Yes it's a gamble. Yes it can set you back if you fail. But you reset the clock on the cheap QB, you get a talented blue chip prospect. Winning takes balls when it comes to using your resources wisely in the draft or cap.

Personally, I would make the argument that if your roster is that good, then the money saved on QB will keep you from being set too far back. You'll recover in a couple tough years. The benefit of a potential dynasty is worth that risk, especially when you trust your scouting department. I trust Will McClay.

If you disagree with this, I don't blame you. I think in this regard, I am more hawkish than most. The QB is worth the gamble in my mind if your team is built well already.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
What would be wrong with letting him play out this last year of his contract? Other than they already said they plan on giving him a new deal?

The Ravens let Flacco play his out and he won a ring and 20M a season. The Skins let Cousins play his out and tagged him.

Am I the only one that wants to see Prescott play in a contract year? Just what's the freakin' hurry?

This too, definitely. I alluded to it briefly in my long winded response to Bob. I want more data before I can make the call on allocating as much as 25 million per year. Huge decision. Not gonna hurt at all to keep building the rest of the team out while we watch him finish his contract.

CWR

Reaction score

Im not sure the skins is a hood example. They brutally mismanaged the situation with Cousins.

That said Im really still trying to figure out Dak. I think hes playing well, waking up a bit and looking closer to his 2016 form but before the last handful of games re signing him was the last thing I thought we needed to worry about.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The lack of options favors Prescott getting a fat contract. There are some prime QB's coming out after the 19 season, which is why I wanted them to wait and see where this is then.

J12B

Reaction score
Top FAs this offseason look to be - Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, maybe Sam Bradford or Robert Griffin III

None of them are the answer, and none are going to be particularly cheap. With our pick in the late 2nd, we aren't getting a marquee QB.

Dak isn't an A or A- QB. He isn't a B+, but he is a B / B- guy with upside remaining. He's the type of guy you should want to keep around.

I totally agree. The alternatives are far less ideal than Dak.

If Dak can be kept at a team friendly deal, everyone wins

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im not sure the skins is a hood example. They brutally mismanaged the situation with Cousins.

That said Im really still trying to figure out Dak. I think hes playing well, waking up a bit and looking closer to his 2016 form but before the last handful of games re signing him was the last thing I thought we needed to worry about.
While they did not handle that as well as they could, they were not sold that he was the future and it is still questionable if he's worth what he's making.

My major concern with Prescott is that I have not seen him progress. His pocket awareness and ball protection are not worth 20-25M a season. He looks too much like the QB I watched at Miss St and 4th rounders don't get 100M contracts.

But let's walk back to the comment Booger made after he gave Romo that contract and I think he really believes it. He said he expected Romo to play better and earn that fatter contract. I think Booger believes if he pays a player more, he becomes a better player and worth that.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So you want the Dallas Cowboys to lose games on purpose and gamble that you might draft a QB that might work out? And waste this defense, and Zekes best years, while we put a QB in training for a few years and hope it pans out? Yep, your a smart fella.....Why even care?
Note to self... the least intelligent contingent of the Cowboys fanbase, are the Dak haters.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice post Bob.

I wouldn't call myself a Dak detractor, I like the kid. But even with everything you said, which I agree with, I think it's fair to ask if he's shown enough to command 25 million a year. Personally, im waiting till end of year to start trying to make my mind up on that.

The point I'm trying to make is that even if our options look bad outside of Dak, we have to consider if a long term, high dollar commitment is just another bad option in disguise.

Maybe by the time contract talks heat up, it's clearly a good option. I'm optimistic. Maybe it's the best of the bad options, which seems certainly true. Dak isn't as bad as people say. Or maybe by then, a couple years under a veteran QB while we do a QB manhunt is our best option. As a historical example, consider the 2 Bledsoe years before we handed over to Romo.

As a final consideration, everyone is acting like the only way to get a top QB in draft is to tank, and this roster is too good to tank. I disagree. If you're that confident that you are only 1 player away, 1 QB away, then bite the bullet. Pull a KC. Bundle the picks, jump to the top of the 1st, get your QB.

In the modern NFL, if you believe your team just needs a QB, and you believe in a QB in the draft, then go and get him.

Yes it's a gamble. Yes it can set you back if you fail. But you reset the clock on the cheap QB, you get a talented blue chip prospect. Winning takes balls when it comes to using your resources wisely in the draft or cap.

Personally, I would make the argument that if your roster is that good, then the money saved on QB will keep you from being set too far back. You'll recover in a couple tough years. The benefit of a potential dynasty is worth that risk, especially when you trust your scouting department. I trust Will McClay.

If you disagree with this, I don't blame you. I think in this regard, I am more hawkish than most. The QB is worth the gamble in my mind if your team is built well already.
Well said brother.

Here’s my problem...Jerry and the Cowboys FO have historically been terrible at managing the drafting/acquisition of a QB. Troy was a no brainer. Quincy Carter? OMG. In Jerry’s own slurred words, “Romo was a miracle” that they stumbled into. They waited waaaay too long to draft a replacement for Romo. Then Dak was another lucky stumble, not some part of some grand scheme.

My point is to acquire a franchise QB, you better have a well researched plan of acquisition in the draft, or a great plan for a FA signing where the cap isn’t destroyed. My problem with giving up on Dak is I have zero confidence this organization can come up with a viable plan to acquire a top shelf QB talent.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your desire to go get someone better, but 20 other NFL teams are wanting to do the same, and we don’t have a very good FO when it comes to acquiring top QB talent.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I have never understood why Jerry announced he was extending Dak a new deal, almost two years before his rookie deal was done. Makes no sense. Dak is under his original deal until the end of 2019. Like you Coach, I don’t get Jerry’s thinking....or lack of it.

75boyz

Reaction score
Nice post Bob.

Nice job. Respectful, even so much as politically correct so as not to offend differing opinions. Well stated with regard to already having the existing foundational pieces in place to aid a new quarterback along in the transition. Overall excellent summary with emphasis on the risk/reward scenario of drafting a top rated QB of which I totally support. Well done Sir!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well said brother.

Here’s my problem...Jerry and the Cowboys FO have historically been terrible at managing the drafting/acquisition of a QB. Troy was a no brainer. Quincy Carter? OMG. In Jerry’s own words, “Romo was a miracle” that they stumbled into. They waited waaaay too long to draft a replacement for Romo. Then Dak was another lucky stumble, not some part of some grand scheme.

My point is to acquire a franchise QB, you better have a well researched plan of acquisition in the draft, or a great plan for a FA signing where the cap isn’t destroyed. My problem with giving up on Dak is I have zero confidence this organization can come up with a viable plan to acquire a top shelf QB talent.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your desire to go get someone better, but 20 other NFL teams are wanting to do the same, and we don’t have a very good FO when it comes to acquiring top QB talent.
I agree and Prescott may be the best that they can do but if they're really committed to building around him, he has enough of the QB qualities you want to be a good leader of the team. I don't think he will ever be Tier 1 but I do not consider Flacco or E. Manning Tier 1 and they each have 2 rings while Brees and Rodgers only have 1.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Nice job. Respectful, even so much as politically correct so as not to offend differing opinions. Well stated with regard to already having the existing foundational pieces in place to aid a new quarterback along in the transition. Overall excellent summary with emphasis on the risk/reward scenario of drafting a top rated QB of which I totally support. Well done Sir!

Thanks, 75! You're too kind, broken clocks are right twice a day, yeah?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak gets new deal i'm ok with it BUT for how much? will Jerry and Stephen outbid themselves and over pay, if so im so not on board with it..theres absolutely no reason to hurry a bad deal for the cowboy's..start negotiations sure ,

how ever if the 25mil range is where his agent starts and wont settle for less, let them choke on it for while, id offer a extension early ONLY IF Dak and his agent take friendly offer that if fair to both sides say 19-21 mil with 70% guaranteed under 5 years.

they would be stupid to overpay when they can let him finish 2019 and have more evidence to his real worth and I for one would be all for him testing the market, bidding against ourselves is way over valuing Dak at this point..

OP is correct tough to find a starter at this point and if we get draft pick soon theres needs to be a bridge and Daks it , at the very least we will need to tag him for 2020 and get the next guy ready.. there are options and shouldnt be pressure to overpay him as of now..

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Well said brother.

Here’s my problem...Jerry and the Cowboys FO have historically been terrible at managing the drafting/acquisition of a QB. Troy was a no brainer. Quincy Carter? OMG. In Jerry’s own slurred words, “Romo was a miracle” that they stumbled into. They waited waaaay too long to draft a replacement for Romo. Then Dak was another lucky stumble, not some part of some grand scheme.

You aren't wrong about their historical record of drafting QBs, but I think their recent draft history in general has dramatically broken their historical trends.

I'm not trusting 2003 Jerry to bundle and jump to top of 1st for a QB. But I think I can trust 2018 Jerry with Stephen, McClay, and Co. assisting him.

Or, haha, I trust them enough to give them a long enough leash to try once and see what happens.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have never understood why Jerry announced he was extending Dak a new deal, almost two years before his rookie deal was done. Makes no sense. Dak is under his original deal until the end of 2019. Like you Coach, I don’t get Jerry’s thinking....or lack of it.
It was his usual reaction to negativity. He likes to respond with over the top optimism like he did with Garrett after that last loss. I'll show y'all, I'll double down. He looks at that as criticism of his running the team and does an in your face. Not the first time he's done it. "No comment" or "we'll address that at a later date" to stall for time isn't in his vocabulary. Mouth flowing freely, brain trap wide open? Check.

I would love to see a poll of every GM in the league and would they let Prescott's original contract stay in place or extend him this off season? And unless I've missed it, Prescott has not played the "hold out" card. This is not a "have to" situation like Lawrence.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Top FAs this offseason look to be - Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, maybe Sam Bradford or Robert Griffin III

None of them are the answer, and none are going to be particularly cheap. With our pick in the late 2nd, we aren't getting a marquee QB.

Dak isn't an A or A- QB. He isn't a B+, but he is a B / B- guy with upside remaining. He's the type of guy you should want to keep around.

Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama qb

Let Dak play next year and evaluate at end of 2019 season. Draft Tua spring 2020.

75boyz

Reaction score
Well said brother.

All excellent points as well especially with regards to this FO's current historical track record on the inability to acquire top QBs. I guess it really does just kinda boil down to taking the plunge/risk of doing something different or "settling" with your comfort zone and/or Jerry's ego.

I mean, God forbid he could ever admit that either his hand picked puppet coach wasn't the right choice or his 4th round supplemental pick QB didn't quite meet championship standards.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I brought it back up to try to end it.

We aren't getting a marquee QB without trading the farm.

The best guy possibly on the market is Stafford and he'll cost our 2019 2nd and 2020 1st at minimum.

Dak's our guy,. Get used to it.

Is it suppose to be an argument for signing a big contract and not looking for better? That there aren't great options in 2019? Then go back to my original post.

Does this only apply to Dak? Anyone else deemed by someone as not very good and needing replaced is fair game? A lot of Dak apologists think there are a ton of those guys.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama qb

Let Dak play next year and evaluate at end of 2019 season. Draft Tua spring 2020.
How are we going to draft Tua? He could come out in 2019 draft and we don’t have a first rounder. Please explain how we could acquire him because I can’t see a way to do it.