For Those That Like Not Signing Free Agents And Say Its The Best Way, Why Do The Good Teams Do It?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Take the Pats, the year before last they signed Stephon Gilmore, CB from the Bills.

5 yrs, $65 million, $31 guaranteed

I'm sure the homers here would all say "its stupid to spend that much on a free agent, they are not worth it".

In two seasons, including playoffs, he has 40 pass defenses, 6 picks, and was rated as the number one CB in the league by PFF this year.

He also intercepted Jared Goff in the SB to seal the win for the Pats.

So where did this myth come from that all free agents signed on day 1 are all overpriced, never live up to their contracts, and will cripple your cap? I wonder if the Pats regret signing Gilmore as they polish yet another Lombardi trophy?

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Take the Pats, the year before last they signed Stephon Gilmore, CB from the Bills.

I'm sure the homers here would all say "its stupid to spend that much on a free agent, they are not worth it".

In two seasons, including playoffs, he has 40 pass defenses, 6 picks, and was rated as the number one CB in the league by PFF this year.

So where did this myth come from that all free agents signed on day 1 are all overpriced, never live up to their contracts, and will cripple your cap? I wonder if the Pats regret signing Gilmore as they polish yet another Lombardi trophy?
cowboys fans have been brainwashed into thinking Penny pinching is the right way. The truth is the cowboys suck at free agency and are scared.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Don’t want another Brandon Carr contract, so let’s hit on 40% of our draft picks and pay them....that’s the thinking. Reality is you need both to be elite.
Yeah but unfortunately we can’t even do that right ... we can’t even pay our own as they preach and squawk .. I’m not saying we should over pay our own as we have done that too often too but it’s like outside of our o-line .. were in holding pattern on everyone else to a fault

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Then you can go to the opposite side of this and say look at all the players they decide not to sign and let walk or trade. Why cant you just just get used to how theyre building? Its not like theyre missing much. They have the 2nd most wins in the nfl after the patriots since they started building this team in 2016. Have they won a superbowl, no. Have they improved hell yes. For as many Gilmores how many are there Haynesworths? If you can answer that honestly then you will look at ur post without the same light as when you typed it.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I dont say its the best way but you need to use it sometimes to plug a whole. The whole draft only doesnt work imo. That's a long term build not a win now thing

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Then you can go to the opposite side of this and say look at all the players they decide not to sign and let walk or trade. Why cant you just just get used to how theyre building? Its not like theyre missing much. They have the 2nd most wins in the nfl after the patriots since they started building this team in 2016. Have they won a superbowl, no. Have they improved hell yes. For as many Gilmores how many are there Haynesworths? If you can answer that honestly then you will look at ur post without the same light as when you typed it.

I am not saying to just sign every free agent under the sun, my post was just a simple example that teams can and do add valuable players through free agency.

Free agency is a tool to use to add talent, the draft is another tool, trades is yet another tool. My point is the good teams use all three, the draft, trades, and free agency (even expensive free agents) to build a roster. Totally ignoring one or more of these tools is just dumb.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I am not saying to just sign every free agent under the sun, my post was just a simple example that teams can and do add valuable players through free agency.

Free agency is a tool to use to add talent, the draft is another tool, trades is yet another tool. My point is the good teams use all three, the draft, trades, and free agency (even expensive free agents) to build a roster. Totally ignoring one or more of these tools is just dumb.
True but this team has drafted really good. Why mess with whats really been working for them? Id like to see some FAs but i really cant complain with how they are right now.

Little Jr

Reaction score

I've always said keep the pats out of the conversation because they're in a league of their own. But since you did, name the high price FA besides the ONE you named. Then list all the players they let walk out the door and everyone said, that's it, they're done, then they go on to win the super bowl, go to it or are in the championship game.

Also, look around the league's at teams that are consistently good over the past 10 years and see if they're active in FA. Then look at the teams that are and see if they have top paid LT, C, G. DE that's on a tag and wants top $, a RB who will cost top $, a WR who will cost top $, a lb who will cost top $ and a QB who some might not agree but will get top $. And all but the rb are up at the end of next year. Oh, a cb who will cost top $. And by top $ I don't mean highest paid, too 5 money.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

We also signed Carr to a 5 year 50MM deal. How did that work out?

Saying you as a rule sit out the outlandish deals of the 1st week of free agency doesn't mean you never sign a guy to a deal.

Stop thinking about hte world in black and white.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We also signed Carr to a 5 year 50MM deal. How did that work out?

Saying you as a rule sit out the outlandish deals of the 1st week of free agency doesn't mean you never sign a guy to a deal.

Stop thinking about hte world in black and white.

You just proved my point............you can be cautious in free agency and still pick and choose a free agent to sign here and there.

But that is not what I am seeing in multiple threads....................you just happen to be one of the sensible ones on this board bro.

cristglo

Reaction score
I dont think we should get crazy and over pay by no means but Seriously the best we could do so far is sign a TE that was cut by the Rams last year??? Geez
I look back at last year when we could have signed a Safety on the cheap that would have been an upgrade over Heath and we did nothing. same thing we did with TE. We had no Experience there and we choose to let it ride. We start off the season with WR by committee. Anyone seeing how that has worked out?
Maybe they are working on a deal with ET and they just havent got the kinks worked out just yet. He hasnt signed with anyone else. Im looking at Amos contract and we could have made it work.
I wish someone would leak out just what the Cowboys did offer Tank so I know who to really be mad at. i didnt think we were going to go crazy in FA but I really thought we would sign someone that could bump us to the next level. I guess when they said they were going to make a push they saw Witten, Lee restructure the signing of Justin and Ross as an improvement. Who Hooooo :(

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Even if they did it’s stupid the Cowboys have been trying to emulate them. They have the greatest coach,QB, and owner ever. We have a drunk, a puppet, and Dak.

Kraft is as much of a drunk as Jerry and has a creepy massage habit to boot. Kraft meddles with his team just the same as Jerry.

What Dallas doesn’t have is Belichick who is a generational coach and Brady who has a great doctor that is not a doctor keeping him playing.

Hadenough

Reaction score

They are saving their money to pay the all pro players they have. The ones that havent come close to winning anything. I agree that it would be nice to stock this roster full of talent at every position but the most crucial position on the roster is QB. And i just dont see him being good enough to win a SB regardless of the talent.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

No one actually dislikes signing Free Agents. They just say they dont to sound prudent

Verdict

Reaction score

Ok. So you named one. The Cowboys traded for Cooper and that worked out too. Come on now you guys know better than this