Former Philadelphia Eagles Defensive Lineman Admits Nick Foles Is Better Than Carson Wentz

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Michael Bennett spent just one season in Philadelphia, but he saw enough to know that Nick Foles is a better quarterback than Carson Wentz.

The veteran NFL defensive lineman gave an honest comment on the Foles vs. Wentz debate during a podcast appearance with Chris Long.

“Nick Foles is better,” said Bennett, who played for the Eagles in 2018.

Foles, of course, stepped in fro an injured Wentz to lead the Eagles to their first-ever Super Bowl. Philly stuck with Wentz and Foles left in free agency for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He’s since been traded to Chicago.

Long: I look at the Carson Wentz situation, someone I always knew had it in him. If you play with Carson, he is a good guy, but you don’t know if he has that intestinal fortitude to be that first one to step over the line–

Bennett: Nick Foles is better.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The only Eagles fan I can bear to associate with thinks the same thing.

Not sure I agree.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I've never been a Wentz defender, but
One Eagles player does not remotely make a majority...and especially if it is Michael Bennet.

Just an opinion

InTheZone

Reaction score
Team likes their pets, they don't always play or keep the best player.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
It was painfully obvious this team got a spark when Foles came in. It happened 2 seasons in a row. Especially the 2018 season where Wentz was leading the Eagles to a bottom of the division finish. Foles comes in and beats the Rams on the road and they parlayed that to a divisional round appearance and almost beat the Saints. He has that magic that Wentz does not have. I do think he leads the offense much more efficiently and can make throws Wentz can not make.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not at all.

Didn’t your newly acquired DLineman say Wentz was better than Dak? o_O

McCoy being wrong about that is irrelevant to the conversation here. The point here is that your team clearly preferred Foles, and played harder for him when he was in the lineup. There’s a reason for all the rumors about Wentz’ leadership skills being suspect.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I've never been a Wentz defender, but
One Eagles player does not remotely make a majority...and especially if it is Michael Bennet.

Just an opinion
What difference does it make if its Michael Bennett? More specifically, what reason that only has to do with football ruins his credibility?

C42

Reaction score
McCoy being wrong about that is irrelevant to the conversation here. The point here is that your team clearly preferred Foles, and played harder for him when he was in the lineup. There’s a reason for all the rumors about Wentz’ leadership skills being suspect.

Clearly preferred Foles due to one former Eagles saying so? Lol, that's a reach. That's why I brought up McCoy. One player said Dak > Wentz who happens to be a Cowboy now. Must be true I guess.

As for the reports, do you trust everything you read on the web? Because nothing about those reports seem true, especially after near every big name on the team came out refuting those reports. Watch any of the mic'd up vids or see how he's been working with teammates this offseason and it's easy to see if that guy is a leader or not.

But at the end of the day we will never know who are leaders and who aren't. We aren't in that locker room.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clearly preferred Foles due to one former Eagles saying so? Lol, that's a reach. That's why I brought up McCoy. One player said Dak > Wentz who happens to be a Cowboy now. Must be true I guess.

As for the reports, do you trust everything you read on the web? Because nothing about those reports seem true, especially after near every big name on the team came out refuting those reports. Watch any of the mic'd up vids or see how he's been working with teammates this offseason and it's easy to see if that guy is a leader or not.

But at the end of the day we will never know who are leaders and who aren't. We aren't in that locker room.

It’s not a single player in PHI. There have been multiple reports. Including Orlando Scandrick recently, who was complimentary of Wentz but admitted there were several players in that locker room still who preferred Foles.

DFWJC

Reaction score
What difference does it make if its Michael Bennett? More specifically, what reason that only has to do with football ruins his credibility?
The point is that it is one opinion and an opinion of somewhat who tries hard to have outlier opinions on various topics....just to be different.
That's fine, but it is worth noting in this context.

Hope that clears it up.

Reactions: C42

C42

Reaction score
It’s not a single player in PHI. There have been multiple reports. Including Orlando Scandrick recently, who was complimentary of Wentz but admitted there were several players in that locker room still who preferred Foles.
Lol Orlando Scandrick also said Jenkins was a terrible leader. Dude has zero credibility.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol Orlando Scandrick also said Jenkins was a terrible leader. Dude has zero credibility.

Does he though? He was always straight shooter here. And disagreeing with Jenkins isn’t the negative here that it is on Eagles sites. Jenkins isn’t exactly an objective personality in his own right.

C42

Reaction score
Does he though? He was always straight shooter here. And disagreeing with Jenkins isn’t the negative here that it is on Eagles sites. Jenkins isn’t exactly an objective personality in his own right.
There’s only one person who’s ever questioned his leadership dating back to college (OSU fan here). Scrandrick isn’t exactly objective either being a long time Cowboy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s only one person who’s ever questioned his leadership dating back to college (OSU fan here). Scrandrick isn’t exactly objective either being a long time Cowboy.

What about Brett Favre? Is he considered objective?

“You know the old saying, ‘Dance with the one who brung you?’ They’re both young and can you keep going with both of them? I don’t think so, so you’re going to have to make a decision but I think it is a difficult decision. Again, I don’t want to come across as knocking Carson Wentz at all because I’m not. I think a lot of him. But I would go with Nick Foles, I really would. … They are both good. I just, I really like what I’ve seen from both guys but in particular Nick Foles, especially considering the circumstances in which he has come in.”

C42

Reaction score
What about Brett Favre? Is he considered objective?

“You know the old saying, ‘Dance with the one who brung you?’ They’re both young and can you keep going with both of them? I don’t think so, so you’re going to have to make a decision but I think it is a difficult decision. Again, I don’t want to come across as knocking Carson Wentz at all because I’m not. I think a lot of him. But I would go with Nick Foles, I really would. … They are both good. I just, I really like what I’ve seen from both guys but in particular Nick Foles, especially considering the circumstances in which he has come in.”

That’s his opinion, but it doesn’t support your claim of players in that locker room clearly backing one over the other. However (imo), it’s pretty easy to see which one is the better QB between the two.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s his opinion, but it doesn’t support your claim of players in that locker room clearly backing one over the other. However (imo), it’s pretty easy to see which one is the better QB between the two.

We’ll take the Bennett and Scandrick direct quotes for the inside the locker room stuff, and the Farve-connection-with-McCarthy and his experience with successful QB play in the league in general and put them together to make one legitimate interpretation that “some people who know think that Foles was a better QB than Wentz for that particular locker room.“

Does that work for you? Or do you need more players to come out on record against the current starting QB before you’re willing to believe that what you don’t want to be the case might actually possibly be true?

C42

Reaction score
We’ll take the Bennett and Scandrick direct quotes for the inside the locker room stuff, and the Farve-connection-with-McCarthy and his experience with successful QB play in the league in general and put them together to make one legitimate interpretation that “some people who know think that Foles was a better QB than Wentz for that particular locker room.“

Does that work for you? Or do you need more players to come out on record against the current starting QB before you’re willing to believe that what you don’t want to be the case might actually possibly be true?

So let’s ignore all the players that refuted the report then because it doesn’t fit the narrative you desperately want to believe. You said “It’s pretty clear the team liked him better”. Scandrick is far from being the team, nobody on the team liked him after he left lol. And Bennett was there one year. So how about all the key players of that team who refuted the reports?

Not only that but we can see some mic’d up videos to see if teammates like him. We can also see him working out with teammates during the offseason. Why ignore that?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So let’s ignore all the players that refuted the report then because it doesn’t fit the narrative you desperately want to believe. You said “It’s pretty clear the team liked him better”. Scandrick is far from being the team, nobody on the team liked him after he left lol. And Bennett was there one year. So how about all the key players of that team who refuted the reports?

Not only that but we can see some mic’d up videos to see if teammates like him. We can also see him working out with teammates during the offseason. Why ignore that?

I haven’t said the team doesn’t like Wentz. I said the team preferred Foles and played better under him when it counted.

And Scandrick’s quote isn’t important because it was his opinion. It was important because it revealed that—2 full seasons after the Superbowl MVP, there are *still* players in that locker room that prefer Foles. That locker room was divided on this issue, for sure. The fact that players are talking about it publicly years later ought to tell you everything you need to know about whether or not that’s true.

If you’d kept Foles and dealt Wentz and drafted well and used the cap you’d have saved wisely, you’d have a better team right now.