Former WR Vincent Jackson found Dead at Age 38

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...nfl-wideout-vincent-jackson-found-dead-at-38/

Former Chargers and Buccaneers wide receiver Vincent Jackson was found dead in a Brandon, Florida hotel room on Monday.

The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that Jackson died and that it is investigating the cause of death. Jackson was 38 years old and a release from the Sheriff’s Office said no signs of trauma were found.

Flamma

Reaction score
actually all things considered its rather startling this does not happen a lot more.

Agreed. Players go from being popular and making a lot of money, to being broke and forgotten. They can pick up bad habits. I saw a statistic that said 80 to 85% of NFL players are broke 2-4 years after retirement. It sounded crazy to me. But when you think about it, only stars get paid the big bucks. Even making 4-10 million a year for a short time may seem like a lot, but not if you're living like a king.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Agreed. Players go from being popular and making a lot of money, to being broke and forgotten. They can pick up bad habits. I saw a statistic that said 80 to 85% of NFL players are broke 2-4 years after retirement. It sounded crazy to me. But when you think about it, only stars get paid the big bucks. Even making 4-10 million a year for a short time may seem like a lot, but not if you're living like a king.

Well, and to think that he had a missing persons alert a few days ago and was found safe and then this happens. That makes things really sad.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Too bad he doesnt cure CTE snd TBI

CTE is indeed a sad and scary situation. I think it is important that, as a society, we continue to remove the stigma of depression and mental health. I think it is important that we, as a society, continue to encourage others to express their situations. I think we're getting better about it, but being willing to talk about it is helpful. Helping NFL players to express when they're feeling off mentally. This was why I was applauding Dak Prescott when he was expressing his mental health struggles. I appreciated Dak talking about it. I think we need MORE NFL players to open up. That would create a process of healing for other players. I think NFL owners should be better about helping players when they're retired and such. If nothing else, at least help provide therapy for the players when they're not playing anymore.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes. Unfortunately these are just a few of the problems that we face because of the cursed and sinful/fallen world that we live in.

Thankfully though, He sent a cure about 2000 years ago for our sin problem.

Yup, and he calls us to minister to others. One of the ways that we can do that is help others when they're having problems and provide a laugh for everyone. It's one of the reasons I'm in the fandom that I affiliate myself with. It's a way that I can help others laugh by creating essentially my own cartoon character. I think helping others be more open to talking about problems IS important. Especially NFL players with the hits they take. This planet IS tough. Life isn't easy, and nobody ever said it'd be easy. One of the ways that I think Christ talks about him giving us rest is by encouraging others to talk about what is bothering them and helping us to comfort them. I'm not necessarily saying talk about the smallest issues (though, they do build up). Instead, I think we SHOULD be there to open our arms to those who need our help. You never know when you might be that one that needs help.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
NFL needs to overpay for f-ing healthcare
The players get paid millions upon millions to play a game. Even the scrubs get paid hundreds of thousands upon hundreds of thousands.
The NFL is supposed to give them an extra $3k a year for healthcare? When do the players need to become responsible for taking care of themselves with the millions that they are making?

kskboys

Reaction score
The players get paid millions upon millions to play a game. Even the scrubs get paid hundreds of thousands upon hundreds of thousands.
The NFL is supposed to give them an extra $3k a year for healthcare? When do the players need to become responsible for taking care of themselves with the millions that they are making?
And they tried. No insurance company would write the policy.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And they tried. No insurance company would write the policy.
Honest question. Can you provide a source or reference for this? I assumed that regular health insurance would pay for these issues.

kskboys

Reaction score
Honest question. Can you provide a source or reference for this? I assumed that regular health insurance would pay for these issues.
I googled it, came right up. Apparently it was pretty big news, though I hadn't heard anything about it until I just now googled it.