Video: Fox: Jason Whitlock: Prescott's mounting frustration is writing a $40M check Cowboys can't cash

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Just now on the Herd PFF NFL Analyst Sam Monson said Dak is surrounded by a lot of people (OL, RB, WR, TE etc.) who help him a lot, and Dallas are better off looking for someone who provides the same production at a reasonable price

Best and most reasonable thing I heard for a while

:cool:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because its been shot down muliple times from multiple sources ever sense it was reported

I haven't seen anything that is anything more then hear say. There is no first hand proof that I am aware of that either confirms or denies it. If you have that, I would be interested in seeing it because that would change things IMO. There were multiple reports that Dak's team wanted 40 when it was first reported. That's nothing more then a story being picked up to me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just now on the Herd PFF NFL Analyst Sam Monson said Dak is surrounded by a lot of people (OL, RB, WR, TE etc.) who help him a lot, and Dallas are better off looking for someone who provides the same production at a reasonable price

Best and most reasonable thing I heard for a while

:cool:

I saw that.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I haven't seen anything that is anything more then hear say. There is no first hand proof that I am aware of that either confirms or denies it. If you have that, I would be interested in seeing it because that would change things IMO.
There was no proof of the intial reports of him asking for 40 million. There were multiple reports coming out afterwards that that was false.

Do I have the smoking gun? No. But if you want to go ahead and believe a click bait story saying he wants 40 milliom, then Im not gonna stop you

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There was no proof of the intial reports of him asking for 40 million. There were multiple reports coming out afterwards that that was false.

Do I have the smoking gun? No. But if you want to go ahead and believe a click bait story saying he wants 40 milliom, then Im not gonna stop you

But isn't that exactly what I said several posts earlier? There is no concrete proof that it is or it is not a real demand. That's exactly what I said before. You are telling me it's click bait but I'm sitting here try to explain to you that you are calling the 40 mil demand click bait and trying to prove that it never happened by referencing another click bait story.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But isn't that exactly what I said several posts earlier? There is no concrete proof that it is or it is not a real demand. That's exactly what I said before. You are telling me it's click bait but I'm sitting here try to explain to you that you are calling the 40 mil demand click bait and trying to prove that it never happened by referencing another click bait story.
I wasnt responding to any of your posts when I made mine. I called it a fake number because the initial report of him asking for 40 million had no substance to it. That is why I consider it a fake number. Are we now settled on matter?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I wasnt responding to any of your posts when I made mine. I called it a fake number because the initial report of him asking for 40 million had no substance to it. That is why I consider it a fake number. Are we now settled on matter?

No, no, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to attack you here. I mean, I get it, lots of people are reporting the same type of thing. I understand that. What I'm trying to get at is that the same reasons you use to discredit it are all the same type of reasons you use to support it. I guess what I'm saying is that you don't know if it was real or not. I will say this, if you follow his agent, it tends to support the claim that it was said. That's exactly the type of tactic France would use. But as I write this, do you read it and say to yourself, what's the proof of that?

See what I mean here?

glimmerman

Reaction score
You don't know that. Dak was asked point blank just yesterday and he didn't answer one way or the other. Those who say he turned down 40 mil don't know that for a fact either. Nobody knows exactly what the number was TBH.
He isn’t gonna mess up what his agent is doing. They are asking for up there money and we are offering down there money. We will meet in the middle. It’s funny to me because I bet you and I could sit down in about 10 minutes or 2 beers and have a deal worked out. Both sides know what’s fair.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He isn’t gonna mess up what his agent is doing. They are asking for up there money and we are offering down there money. We will meet in the middle. It’s funny to me because I bet you and I could sit down in about 10 minutes or 2 beers and have a deal worked out. Both sides know what’s fair.

No, I'm not convinced of that at all. If 33 was the original offer, I'd guess that this is about where the market is for Dak. I could be wrong but I don't believe I am. This isn't about what's fair. This is business.

Polkton31

Reaction score
You've kinda answered your own question. You tag Dak because no other team will offer up the money plus two 1s for Dak. If you do that, you essentially take a great deal of leverage away from Dak and France. Yes, Dak could hold out for a season or just miss camp and sit out the first 4 games but that only eats away at his leverage even more and opens the door for the Cowboys to actually bring in an FA QB who might be able to shine in this Offense. Does that help Dak? All the while, it also increases the chance the team drafts a young QB as well. I mean, to me Dak and his agent will come to the conclusion that 33\34 with great guaranteed money for 5 years is not such a bad deal. JMO

That was my whole point with the post. No team is going to offer 2 first round picks for Dak. Yet... people keep saying, "Trade Dak for 2 firsts". I pointed out, any team in a position to do that, would either A) Draft their own QB or B) Be happy with the one they have. I agree that by tagging Dak, you take away some of his leverage. The problem is, you're in the same boat next year. It will be the whole Cousins deal over again. On top of that, People are saying, "Get Brady". Like he is going to come at some great discount. I'm not tied to Dak, but I would like to see a "Viable Solution" if the Cowboys get rid of him. Signing Brady or trading into the top 3 isn't a viable solution IMO.

erod

Reaction score
It may be time to simply walk away from the table, and tell him and his agent that they're getting the tag.

At least for this year, and possibly next year as well, provided we don't find ourselves a better option.

We'll pay him $27 million this year under a non-exclusive franchise tag. If someone makes an offer we don't want to match? We'll take their next two 1st round picks and then we can look at the biggest free agent QB market in league history. And in the short term, there are plenty of 'patches' to sign to man the helm for a while as well.

If we keep him under another tag again in 2021? It would cost us $38 million.

That adds up to two years, $65 million. Less than the $33 million a year he reportedly "turned down".

He can deal with that or sit at home and watch his career prospects crumble as time waits for no one.
Agree totally.

Unfortunately, Dak made the mistake of hiring CAA, which has hundreds of bigger name clients than him. Something tells me that if Scarlett Johansson, George Clooney, Tom Cruise, JJ Abrams, or Jessica Chastain call, Dak might be on hold a while.

And they don't negotiate for anything but top dollar. Otherwise, they're not interested in having him as a client.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That was my whole point with the post. No team is going to offer 2 first round picks for Dak. Yet... people keep saying, "Trade Dak for 2 firsts". I pointed out, any team in a position to do that, would either A) Draft their own QB or B) Be happy with the one they have. I agree that by tagging Dak, you take away some of his leverage. The problem is, you're in the same boat next year. It will be the whole Cousins deal over again. On top of that, People are saying, "Get Brady". Like he is going to come at some great discount. I'm not tied to Dak, but I would like to see a "Viable Solution" if the Cowboys get rid of him. Signing Brady or trading into the top 3 isn't a viable solution IMO.

If Dak sits for two full seasons, then you are right but if Dak does that, the chances are that eh only hurts himself IMO. This, to me, is a what have you done for me lately type league. If Dak sits out training camp and Pre-season, if Dak sits out the first 4 games, what would you think his season might look like, keeping in mind that we will be putting in a new offense. I know people say the Offense isn't changing but I don't buy into that at all. If you aren't changing the Offense, then why hire a new staff? The Offense is going to change and it's only going to hurt Dak if he misses all of that. If you are the Cowboys and Dak isn't signed by March 15th or whatever the date is, the Cowboys are paying more against the cap for whatever they sign Dak to so to me, that's pretty key. The knock behind tagging is that it the entire salary is a hit in the current cap year. If you get to March 15th with no contract, then you are pretty much in that situation anyway so why not? After that, FA open period starts so the Cowboys could go out and sign an FA QB, they could target a young QB in the Draft and then Tag Dak. If he signs the tag and reports by the 4th game then he can gain a vested year against the tag but what does he look like during the season? If he misses all that time, he isn't showing up ready to compete. He would likely struggle and there is a really good chance that he ends up injured. Seen it many times. What does that do to his value for the next season? If he tries that again, I gotta believe that by the end of the second tagged year, his stock is way down and nobody is talking about paying him top dollar. If the Cowboys go out and actually bring in a half way decent Vet FA and then turn around and bring in a promising rookie, if the Cowboys apply the highest amount of pressure they are capable of applying, then they do two things here. One, they put themselves in the best possible situation for life after Dak and they have a plan to move forward but Two, and this to me is more important, they create a situation where Dak is going to have a really hard time justifying signing the tag and sitting not a long term deal. To me, this would be a real tough hand for Dak to just stand pat on. Two years from now, you don't know what the market for him is. You don't know what happens if you open the door for a Vet who can play in the NFL and you don't know what a talent young QB might learn in two years. This, to me, is the way you solve this entire thing. I think this is the strategy you use to get Dak signed this year. Now, it costs you some resources that you would like to be able to maybe use elsewhere but what you get in return for this is more important and so it's worth it IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Agree totally.

Unfortunately, Dak made the mistake of hiring CAA, which has hundreds of bigger name clients than him. Something tells me that if Scarlett Johansson, George Clooney, Tom Cruise, JJ Abrams, or Jessica Chastain call, Dak might be on hold a while.

And they don't negotiate for anything but top dollar. Otherwise, they're not interested in having him as a client.

This is exactly right. I wished people would really do their homework on this firm and his agent. Dak has signed with a guy who is in it for one outcome IMO. My biggest fear is that they won't negotiate towards the middle and simply hold out for top dollar. That's a real concern for me. That is why I say the team needs to apply maximum pressure on this deal. Honestly, Dak and his agent have much less leverage if you realize that winning with Dak is not nearly as important as planning for the realization that the Cowboys might have to start the season without Dak. If the team does this, I would not be surprised to either se a deal get done almost immediately or to see CAA drop Dak or see Dak do it the other way. Eventually that would lead to a deal and I am fully confident that Jerry would give Dak, at the very least, the same deal he already has on the table. I mean, I don't know but this is what I think about what I see.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
everyone is tripping, but they would do that before the contract, haters are going to hate him and fans are going to be relieved its over.

Dak is your QB get over it.
Acrually Dak is not under contract by the Cowboys, so he is not the QB. You can assume he will be, while others hope he won't.

You can say we hold his rights until he is either signed, tagged or nothing happens, which would make him a FA.

Just so were clear.

Polkton31

Reaction score
If Dak sits for two full seasons, then you are right but if Dak does that, the chances are that eh only hurts himself IMO. This, to me, is a what have you done for me lately type league. If Dak sits out training camp and Pre-season, if Dak sits out the first 4 games, what would you think his season might look like, keeping in mind that we will be putting in a new offense. I know people say the Offense isn't changing but I don't buy into that at all. If you aren't changing the Offense, then why hire a new staff? The Offense is going to change and it's only going to hurt Dak if he misses all of that. If you are the Cowboys and Dak isn't signed by March 15th or whatever the date is, the Cowboys are paying more against the cap for whatever they sign Dak to so to me, that's pretty key. The knock behind tagging is that it the entire salary is a hit in the current cap year. If you get to March 15th with no contract, then you are pretty much in that situation anyway so why not? After that, FA open period starts so the Cowboys could go out and sign an FA QB, they could target a young QB in the Draft and then Tag Dak. If he signs the tag and reports by the 4th game then he can gain a vested year against the tag but what does he look like during the season? If he misses all that time, he isn't showing up ready to compete. He would likely struggle and there is a really good chance that he ends up injured. Seen it many times. What does that do to his value for the next season? If he tries that again, I gotta believe that by the end of the second tagged year, his stock is way down and nobody is talking about paying him top dollar. If the Cowboys go out and actually bring in a half way decent Vet FA and then turn around and bring in a promising rookie, if the Cowboys apply the highest amount of pressure they are capable of applying, then they do two things here. One, they put themselves in the best possible situation for life after Dak and they have a plan to move forward but Two, and this to me is more important, they create a situation where Dak is going to have a really hard time justifying signing the tag and sitting not a long term deal. To me, this would be a real tough hand for Dak to just stand pat on. Two years from now, you don't know what the market for him is. You don't know what happens if you open the door for a Vet who can play in the NFL and you don't know what a talent young QB might learn in two years. This, to me, is the way you solve this entire thing. I think this is the strategy you use to get Dak signed this year. Now, it costs you some resources that you would like to be able to maybe use elsewhere but what you get in return for this is more important and so it's worth it IMO.

I could see that happening. I also know Cousins took 2 years of guaranteed tag money and then signed a pretty good deal when he walked. I guess it would depend on what the QB field looks like in 2 years.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's pretty obvious since it's taking this long that he's being unreasonable. We have a terrible, God awful front office. Fake and fraudulent. They actually believe he has talent. They want to pay him. It would have been done already if Rayne wasn't asking for the moon.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why don't you like Whitlock Roc?
Its a few things.

He has a issue with the black qb for some reason. Not all of them. I think he likes Mahomes and Russell. Over the years he's had a vendetta against Dak, Lamar, Deshaun, Kapernick, McNabb, Vick just to name a few.

You don't have to agree with a guy to like him. Randy Galloway.....he was a troll but he was great at what he does and no matter what he said you knew it was never personal. Skip Bayless and Whitlock are of the same cloth. Say whatever they want with no consequence or repercussion. His agenda is to go against the grain and make it personal. Prime example: