Video: FOX: Marcellus Wiley explains why Dak Prescott is a genius for turning down $33m extension

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Tag wouldn't go into effect till the start of Free agency but stephen offered a contract already and should have at-least given the impresssion that if Daks agent doesn't like it we'll use the transition tag on him. Right now all he did was try to low ball him a little and still said they will get a deal done, effectively neutering any hope of a team friendly deal. Stephen will grossly over pay for an average QB and we'll regret not being able to put enough talent around him to make a post season run.
You have no idea what happened. This is all just you guessing about what happened with no information.

conner01

Reaction score
Its called a signing bonus. It has nothing to do with the base salary. So Zeke got 7.5 million in September and gets another 10.9M in march. So, Zeke got over 18M in 6 months. Sure he could have waited for his contract to expire and gotten more, but the guy repping him isn't a moron. He knows its better to take less sooner than more later.

The difference between what Dak wants and what the team is offering is less than 4 million per........ he's never going to recoup the money he left on the table playing for 400k this year.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article237152299.html
Whiley probably failed math
Let’s say the offer was 33 and he wanted 35 and gets that this year
That year is lost and for much less money and one year longer before the next payday
When you are in the 30 mil range it’s not worth it to risk injury for an extra couple mil and push your next payday a year later in your career

conner01

Reaction score
Reports are that it wasn't as much the salary as the number of years. Cowboys wanted 7 years and Dak wants 4 years.
I read that too
And I get why both would want what they want
The team knows the salaries will go up
Dak wants another contract while still young
Just work it out in between and let’s go

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Ok..

Like your post. But me thinks you are stuck in 1989. Hershel Walker is traded and long gone.

You envisioning guys like Zeke and Tank and others that have been resigned to their new deals have any sort of trade value now.

Not what I was getting at.

I was talking about what our GM should have been doing *while negotiating* with Zeke and DLaw, not now that they're signed to bad contracts.

Same for Dak.

Don't get married to players. Explore options, both in trades, and in replacement players.

We're stuck with the Zeke and DLaw contracts now, although if somebody wants to take them, I'd be all ears. Particularly Zeke.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak played last year for peanuts. Could have skipped half the season and still got his accrued season. Given that, I see them perfectly content to play on 33mil guaranteed this year and wait out another year unless they get the ridiculous contract they want. They're obviously in no rush, and perfectly comfortable not locking in that 100mil guaranteed.

I wonder. Why don't players show up for camp, play their games to accrue a season, *and then* hold out? Even tell the team upfront that's their plan. Zeke could have done that. Makes extra sense for RBs, who have limited tread relative to other positions.

Then all the pressure is on the team.

You hit on the other problem we made for ourselves giving into DLAW and Zeke.......... it set a precedent and a message to players. That message is "we have no spine and will reward behavior detrimental to the team". So, we will tag Dak and you can get bet he's not going to sign the tag and will holdout for his 5 year deal.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whiley probably failed math
Let’s say the offer was 33 and he wanted 35 and gets that this year
That year is lost and for much less money and one year longer before the next payday
When you are in the 30 mil range it’s not worth it to risk injury for an extra couple mil and push your next payday a year later in your career

Thank you for "getting it". As I said in another post, Dak bet on himself and lost.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Marcellus Wiley isn't too much of a genius thinking Dak is and not his agent, France. o_O
The thing about Wiley that appeals to me is..

he reps an opinion that hits a middle of the road, not to high not to low thing.

I barely remember his career in Dallas. He was not a star but was serviceable.

But he counterpoints intelligently and does not to impress you with his views.

They come off as realistic, not a bunch of hyperbole.

Now Whitlock..he is just plain humorous to me but I believe he's trying to be serious as the program host.

Now the old guy that comes on at the end is a waste of time and adds nothing.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Not what I was getting at.

I was talking about what our GM should have been doing *while negotiating* with Zeke and DLaw, not now that they're signed to bad contracts.

Same for Dak.

Don't get married to players. Explore options, both in trades, and in replacement players.

We're stuck with the Zeke and DLaw contracts now, although if somebody wants to take them, I'd be all ears. Particularly Zeke.
Understood.

I stand corrected.

Thanx.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You have no idea what happened. This is all just you guessing about what happened with no information.

Sure I do. We know Stephen offered a contract. We know it was rejected. We know Stephen said he will sign Dak and it's a priority.

HanD

Reaction score
Wha? How is getting his money one year later the same? It is not b/c his career is finite. What he sacrificed is one less year of earning potential. He didn't earn a substantial raise nor did he increase his value by leading the team to an 8-8 record. He's probably going to get tagged and earn 30 million next year OR settle for something around 33 million which he could have got last year. If he was really betting on himself, he should have signed the big contract he was offered last year so he can get to his next contract sooner. Any way you look at it, he wasted a year earning a fraction of what he's worth.

A 5 year extension last year or a 5 year contract this year both end at the same time. An extension last summer would not have magically removed his final year on his rookie deal. It adds 5 more years. His base salary was 400k regardless.

He would have gotten signing bonus earlier but he wanted more and believed he could get more. He hasn't lost any leverage from last year to this year. If you think he's gonna get less than 33m at this point you will be disappointed imo.

The reported issue wasn't the avg annual. He wanted a shorter contract to get to free agencies again sooner. Dallas wanted him locked for longer seeing that the market will jump real soon with mahommes and Watson due this summer.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wha? How is getting his money one year later the same? It is not b/c his career is finite. What he sacrificed is one less year of earning potential. He didn't earn a substantial raise nor did he increase his value by leading the team to an 8-8 record. He's probably going to get tagged and earn 30 million next year OR settle for something around 33 million which he could have got last year. If he was really betting on himself, he should have signed the big contract he was offered last year so he can get to his next contract sooner. Any way you look at it, he wasted a year earning a fraction of what he's worth.
I think he got some really bad advice.

Little Jr

Reaction score
No to all 3, I am one of the oldest members here. I am a fan of the game of football, not all of the talk they make about it to justify jobs for after they retire. Their opinions carry very little weight unless it is a former coach speaking from that perspective.

The problem isn't that there are too many talking heads; the problem is too many people actually listening to them.
Yeah, but I still cant understand how you dont know 3 of them. Maybe one of them, but the other 3 are well known.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Wonder if he waits for KC to get there QB deal done and they go for say around $45M. You don't think old jerrah will then get Dak over the $40M threshold.