News: FoxSports: Tony Romo widely praised for commentary during AFC title game

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo brings a style of color commentator or analysis we haven’t seen before to the extent he takes with his insistence on predicting the calls on basically every play.

I suppose his giddiness enthusiast crackling voice style is attractive to a broad scope of fans who are more interested in how a QB sees the field and audibles the call right before the ball is snapped.

It’s certainly an approach and insight not many I can think of have taken before. And then they discuss how good his insight and instincts are while preparing to make next call while not always discussing or analyzing what actually took place , the effects and all of analytics and critiques we normally see.

Personally , while there is some entertainment value it’s not a style I want to hear every game I watch. Fortunately I don’t watch a lot of CBS games so I’m not exposed on a regular basis. I’d much rather hear the more traditional format Troy or Moose presents.

I’m sure this opportunity has bridged the transition for Romo after being forced to basically walk away from his beloved position but I suspect this is a temporary move and his greater calling is on the sidelines or at least the booth calling plays for a team.
He said as much himself about returning to the game after his kids are older.

Your point is well made but Romo is not an analyst of what has happened because he is a frustrated coach, he wants to coach but doesn't want to commit the time necessary and take that from his family at this time. So, he's playing coach in the booth. And he's auditioning for his next job.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
He said as much himself about returning to the game after his kids are older.

Your point is well made but Romo is not an analyst of what has happened because he is a frustrated coach, he wants to coach but doesn't want to commit the time necessary and take that from his family at this time. So, he's playing coach in the booth. And he's auditioning for his next job.

Nice post. This is a well deserved thread too. TR hit a grand slam last night IMO. People are raving about him, and not talking about him as a QB coach or OC but a head coach. He's going to be able to write his own ticket apparently. Talented guy to say the least.

blueblood70

Reaction score
my only knock on him is he sounds like fan discussing a game while in the living room , hes not the usual game play by lay type guy but give sometimes two in the booth and one on the field talking on air , maybe its fresh approach for fans to listen and understand nuances of the play calls..he definitely different from other announcers..

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He certainly watches enough film to understand what teams typically like to do and has the ability to say it quickly on the spot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Aikman hate is ridiculous.
And I've never gotten it except some of the Aikman haters are Irvin lovers for his unprofessional homerism.

This all started with Aikman's first PHL game and actually heaping praise on their team during a game and they did have a good team. He became a Cowboys hater and that stuck with some.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
He'd have to pay him more than Garret. Early predictions are that Romo's next contract with be in the 8-10 million per year range.
Everyone asks why he would come down from the booth the coach. I think his competitive instincts are too so strong not to. I give him 3 to 4 more years in the booth along with good family time and then see him being picked up by a team to start a coaching career. His kids will be older then and he loves the game and the competition. He has too much knowledge not to coach in the NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, here's a question. We all know what a weird duck Belichick is. When he sees how Romo was predicting his offense, what's he going to do about that over the next two weeks?

Obviously, the Rams won't be listening into call their D but HC's are a strange breed about playing it close to the vest. And of all the HC's, Belichick is the most likely to install some twists in preparation. He does this with a week to do it in the regular season, think he'll want Romo sitting in on any of his practices?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not going to get back into coaching.
He has the DREAM job. He can be the next Madden. He makes a ton of money without the headache and the grind of coaching.
Gruden coached BEFORE he "retired" to the booth.
Gruden likely saw the handwriting on the wall at ESPN, which was tossing crew overboard at a maddening (pardon the pun) rate. And when a $100 million contract came calling, Gruden thought it was the right time to abandon the sinking ESPN ship.
Tony's enjoying himself and enjoying football from the booth. You can tell.
Tony can ride his television gig into retirement and, possibly, the Hall of Fame.
He's not getting back into coaching.
I gave a LIKE for everything except 'the Hall of Fame'. Romo must greatly expand his media presence beyond simply being a gameday broadcaster in order to gather Board of Selectors votes for Contributor nomination and/or induction.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he were to come back into the game as a coach, think he would do that with Dallas? Think that bitter taste in his mouth will have dissipated by then? His home is in Dallas but that's not where he's from and I think that history might be a bit much. He might prefer the NFC North.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Bingo!
My son (a cornerback in college) was yelling at the television that the Chiefs should get out of Cover 2 and go to Cover Zero because they're conceding the middle of the field. He was analyzing the game. Football fans love when commentators can tell you WHY a team should run a certain play.

Also late in the game, he gives all the different strategies in 2 minute drills with using time outs to clocking the ball, clock management in general. It's great to hear his commentary. I have learned a lot from his detail analysis.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Romo is just one of those guys that is gonna be top notch and the best of the best at anything he does. Commentating has given us a glimpse into how his football mind worked when he dropped back and his amazing ability to read defenses. Romo would blend in great as an OC. I have no doubt, he would peak in that position as well.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he gets a bit excitable and hard to understand sometimes.
It is not uncommon for certain audience members to not momentarily understand an actor, performer, orator, etc. It always happens at movies, concerts, speeches, etc.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not going to get back into coaching.
He has the DREAM job. He can be the next Madden. He makes a ton of money without the headache and the grind of coaching.
Gruden coached BEFORE he "retired" to the booth.
Gruden likely saw the handwriting on the wall at ESPN, which was tossing crew overboard at a maddening (pardon the pun) rate. And when a $100 million contract came calling, Gruden thought it was the right time to abandon the sinking ESPN ship.
Tony's enjoying himself and enjoying football from the booth. You can tell.
Tony can ride his television gig into retirement and, possibly, the Hall of Fame.
He's not getting back into coaching.
His response to the question regarding your last sentence is counter to that. He's got a young family, that's what's keeping him in the booth.
If he stays in the booth long enough, he might make the Broadcaster HOF but I do not see him ever in the NFL HOF. Not enough team success.
And the longer he is up in that booth watching other coaches the more he is going to think "I can do better". He's a born competitor and that's hard to suppress and only turn loose on the golf course.
I do think he will leave the booth and get into coaching because he's going to get bored with just observing and commenting and I think his wife is going to get tired of him being bored.
I could be wrong and reading too much into this but his comments led me to believe that his young children are the only thing keeping him in that booth now.

gmb1

Reaction score
If he were to come back into the game as a coach, think he would do that with Dallas? Think that bitter taste in his mouth will have dissipated by then? His home is in Dallas but that's not where he's from and I think that history might be a bit much. He might prefer the NFC North.
Coaching the Cowboys is not a good idea. Don't want him to be another Jerry puppet.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My opinion is no and no. The franchise owns him nothing but Romo sacrificed a lot (understatement) for it. His final opportunity to end his playing career on his terms was denied. Some can say that is water under the bridge but the bridge was washed away in The Flash Flood of September/October 2016.

I slightly see possible coaching ambition down the road but I do not see him wanting it in Dallas. There is a light at the end of the tunnel from my perspective as far as coaching is concerned. Management? My view is pitch black when I think of Romo and Dallas in that regard. Vacant, endless void, pre-big bang blackness.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice post. This is a well deserved thread too. TR hit a grand slam last night IMO. People are raving about him, and not talking about him as a QB coach or OC but a head coach. He's going to be able to write his own ticket apparently. Talented guy to say the least.
Romo has this quality about him that even when he would say things as the Cowboys QB that I disagreed with, I had a hard time not accepting. He is a very likable person, he's real, what you see is what you get.

When he made that comment about if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, after a loss, I've had a very good life I thought 'oh hell no'. Fans want to hear that you're suicidal not honesty because what he said was dead on. But, after he said that, I didn't read him the same any longer. I thought 'here's a cat that needs some study, something different about him'.

I was never a Romorooter or Lover, I saw him for what he was, a high risk QB that will make you hold your breath every time he turns it loose but as far as being entertaining, only Favre could surpass that. I used to be all about the winning but that changed somewhere along the way and I became all about the entertainment. So from that angle, I was a big Romo fan.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I gave a LIKE for everything except 'the Hall of Fame'. Romo must greatly expand his media presence beyond simply being a gameday broadcaster in order to gather Board of Selectors votes for Contributor nomination and/or induction.
I understand your point. But, over time, the reasons against Romo fade. The reasons for Romo in the Hall of Fame increase, particularly if he becomes a legend in the booth. Likability is a factor in Hall of Fame voting. It's the reason why T.O. and Michael Irvin had to wait. It's the reason Darren Woodson may make it in. And, if I'm not mistaken, don't they induct football broadcasters into the Hall of Fame?