News: FoxSports: Tony Romo widely praised for commentary during AFC title game

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo has this quality about him that even when he would say things as the Cowboys QB that I disagreed with, I had a hard time not accepting. He is a very likable person, he's real, what you see is what you get.

When he made that comment about if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, after a loss, I've had a very good life I thought 'oh hell no'. Fans want to hear that you're suicidal not honesty because what he said was dead on. But, after he said that, I didn't read him the same any longer. I thought 'here's a cat that needs some study, something different about him'.

….
He really did have some context to that statement. His dad, who he was very so close to, was battling cancer. Of course losing one game hurts badly, but if you're real grow-up, it's a tiny flea in comparison to possibly losing your father
Plus, the game went so poorly that he had plenty of time to stew on it (and maybe gain perspective) before the press got to him after the locker room.
Even though he was 100% correct though, he said later, that maybe just regurgitated what fans wanted to hear there (and be very shallow in other words) if he thought it would cause so much grief.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
His response to the question regarding your last sentence is counter to that. He's got a young family, that's what's keeping him in the booth.
If he stays in the booth long enough, he might make the Broadcaster HOF but I do not see him ever in the NFL HOF. Not enough team success.
And the longer he is up in that booth watching other coaches the more he is going to think "I can do better". He's a born competitor and that's hard to suppress and only turn loose on the golf course.
I do think he will leave the booth and get into coaching because he's going to get bored with just observing and commenting and I think his wife is going to get tired of him being bored.
I could be wrong and reading too much into this but his comments led me to believe that his young children are the only thing keeping him in that booth now.
We'll see.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My opinion is no and no. The franchise owns him nothing but Romo sacrificed a lot (understatement) for it. His final opportunity to end his playing career on his terms was denied. Some can say that is water under the bridge but the bridge was washed away in The Flash Flood of September/October 2016.

I slightly see possible coaching ambition down the road but I do not see him wanting it in Dallas. There is a light at the end of the tunnel from my perspective as far as coaching is concerned. Management? My view is pitch black when I think of Romo and Dallas in that regard. Vacant, endless void, pre-big bang blackness.
Yeah and he's seen the involvement of the Jones first hand but from his vantage point, that wasn't entirely bad. With his last contract he got to spend time on installing the game plan with the coaching staff, that's not something most QB's are allowed to do. But then, most teams trust their coaching staff.

But the sting of not being allowed to compete for his old job was too much, I agree. And I am not aware of that happening too many places except with Bledsoe in NE. I thought they owed him the opportunity but the fear he might just take it back prevented that.

And no one will convince me that his acceptance speech that he was no longer QB1 wasn't orchestrated by Booger with a reward built in that they would make sure he got his final payment by arranging the release date. Anyone here ever see any QB do that? I haven't and while it spoke of team, it also stunk of Jones. Make him look better. No one thought Garrett was the decision maker on that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He really did have some context to that statement. His dad, who he was very so close to, was battling cancer. Of course losing one game hurts badly, but if you're real grow-up, it's a tiny flea in comparison to possibly losing your father
Plus, the game went so poorly that he had plenty of time to stew on it (and maybe gain perspective) before the press got to him after the locker room.
Even though he was 100% correct though, he said later, that maybe just regurgitated what fans wanted to hear there (and be very shallow in other words) if he thought it would cause so much grief.
Yep and he exacerbated that with the comment he didn't care what people thought. That's when Troy came running in to help him with perspective of being the DC QB, a job unlike any other on the planet. And Troy mastered that in his rookie season, really a mature guy at that young age.

That's when Romo became the master of saying nothing. I wish I had a dollar every time he answered the question about something they were not doing well, "we've got to get better at that". I got to where I would laugh every time he did it and I was sure the reporters asking were laughing just as much as well as the coaches and players in the locker room.

One thing people didn't really consider is Roger and Troy and even Danny had some success before taking over that job. They'd been interviewed many times and schooled on how to handle that. Tony is this small town kid from a small school and no one had ever bothered to ask him anything. He was a nobody and carried some of that with him.

And therein lies the magic of it all to me, DFW. The part that seemed to be lost on too many. Too many that wanted a name QB because all they wanted to do was win. Romo's story about his rise from being invited to the Combine to only work out the TE's, not to audition, laying back in basic obscurity except when the HOF preseason awards were announced and finally taking over one of the most glamorized and scrutinized positions in all sports is the Cowboys story. Not the 8 trips, 5 rings, 20 winning seasons, the fedora or put it in 3" letters rivals the Tony Romo Cowboys story as the Cowboys story for me. It's about the human condition and will and he will always be a special part of the Cowboys for me. It is that type of thing that transitions sport to real life for me and I am thankful I had that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, here's a question. We all know what a weird duck Belichick is. When he sees how Romo was predicting his offense, what's he going to do about that over the next two weeks?

Obviously, the Rams won't be listening into call their D but HC's are a strange breed about playing it close to the vest. And of all the HC's, Belichick is the most likely to install some twists in preparation. He does this with a week to do it in the regular season, think he'll want Romo sitting in on any of his practices?
I suspect Romo isn’t the only one in the NFL who can read defenses. We’ve just never had an analyst do so in this style before each play with such enthusiasm.

This might be the best Romo has to offer in the booth. I don’t recall what else he discussed or commented on except how great these QB’s were and calling the plays.

It’s very appealing to those overly optimistic half glass full fans who tire of the criticism most analysts present like Troy who can over analyze after the play.

Romo is so focused on the next play that he rarely provides an oversight on the game, players ( except the QB) coaches the franchise and all related topics we often see discussed and criticized by color commentators.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excitable, yes, but I've never had difficulty understanding him.
Only when he's talking too low, he was pretty perky yesterday but sometimes I can barely hear what he's saying and Nantz will do the same thing too much. It's as if they're talking to each other and forgetting the audience is there.

dfense

Reaction score
I like Romo. I think he's a good talker. But are you really a good analyst because you can predict plays before they happen? Doesn't that kinda spoil the surprise? He might be better suited for a coaching gig.
You'd think he'd make a good defensive coordinator since he knows whats coming.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He’s analyzing the schemes & strategy of the teams.. would you prefer him to be like Aikman & aimlessly criticize people after every play?

Romo is outstanding in his analysis and his enthusiasm.
What I enjoy is his description of how the QB has to read the keys of the defense.

Little nuggets of knowledge we get from no other commentators.

Thanx, Tony.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep and he exacerbated that with the comment he didn't care what people thought. That's when Troy came running in to help him with perspective of being the DC QB, a job unlike any other on the planet. And Troy mastered that in his rookie season, really a mature guy at that young age.

That's when Romo became the master of saying nothing. I wish I had a dollar every time he answered the question about something they were not doing well, "we've got to get better at that". I got to where I would laugh every time he did it and I was sure the reporters asking were laughing just as much as well as the coaches and players in the locker room.

One thing people didn't really consider is Roger and Troy and even Danny had some success before taking over that job. They'd been interviewed many times and schooled on how to handle that. Tony is this small town kid from a small school and no one had ever bothered to ask him anything. He was a nobody and carried some of that with him.

And therein lies the magic of it all to me, DFW. The part that seemed to be lost on too many. Too many that wanted a name QB because all they wanted to do was win. Romo's story about his rise from being invited to the Combine to only work out the TE's, not to audition, laying back in basic obscurity except when the HOF preseason awards were announced and finally taking over one of the most glamorized and scrutinized positions in all sports is the Cowboys story. Not the 8 trips, 5 rings, 20 winning seasons, the fedora or put it in 3" letters rivals the Tony Romo Cowboys story as the Cowboys story for me. It's about the human condition and will and he will always be a special part of the Cowboys for me. It is that type of thing that transitions sport to real life for me and I am thankful I had that.
I think that’s it in a nutshell Coach. Romo exemplifies the American Dream. An undrafted FA who was cut 2 or 3 times but when given his opportunity made the most of it. He didn’t have all of the god given abilities we’d normally be looking for . He just had a knack for the game with instincts that couldn’t necessarily be taught or coached.

And with that gunslinging go for broke mentality he really had nothing to lose from hence he came. That’s very appealing to the average fan. Personally I was one of those others you mentioned much like I am now with our current QB. I didn’t enjoy watching him just to watch. Winning was attached. But I did grow to have more appreciation for Romo especially during those 8-8 seasons and by 2014 felt he could be enough with a team around him.

I certainly look back on his career much differently than I originally did and appreciate what he brought however short we came. I always said history would reflect better on his career than our current emotion did. And pending his replacement we’d either have more or less appreciation.

Last edited:

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I suspect Romo isn’t the only one in the NFL who can read defenses. We’ve just never had an analyst do so in this style before each play with such enthusiasm.

This might be the best Romo has to offer in the booth. I don’t recall what else he discussed or commented on except how great these QB’s were and calling the plays.

It’s very appealing to those overly optimistic half glass full fans who tire of the criticism most analysts present like Troy who can over analyze after the play.

Romo is so focused on the next play that he rarely provides an oversight on the game, players ( except the QB) coaches the franchise and all related topics we often see discussed and criticized by color commentators.
He doesn’t really do it every play though. I think he toned it down a lot this year after receiving criticism last year but I think last night he was kinda on fire with it and kept it rolling. Even Nance was egging him on. Typically he talks about everything a typical analyst would talk about.
I think that you could take a lot of quarterbacks in the league right now and they could do what he does, but I think he is the only current analyst who can do it. His edge is that he is the freshest out of the game. Troy could probably do the same thing with a 90s broadcast, but he’s pretty far removed from modern football so he keeps it high level. I would also imagine he’s on auto-pilot at this stage of his career, where someone like Tony is still trying to make a name for his self and is probably really studying film every week (better than Andy Reid apparently).

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand your point. But, over time, the reasons against Romo fade. The reasons for Romo in the Hall of Fame increase, particularly if he becomes a legend in the booth. Likability is a factor in Hall of Fame voting. It's the reason why T.O. and Michael Irvin had to wait. It's the reason Darren Woodson may make it in.
I can see why this is a common point-of-view, some of which I share.
And, if I'm not mistaken, don't they induct football broadcasters into the Hall of Fame?
No. This is why I point this out at every opportunity.

https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/positions/

Historically, the Board of Selectors' tunnelvision method of nominating and inducting people is dictated by each individual's specific career and not through a combination of careers. There have been a handful of exceptions when the decision was based on a combination of careers. A good example is Al Davis, who was inducted as a Contributor based upon careers as an owner, head coach and commissioner. The Selectors based their choice on Davis' AFL and NFL football-intensive high profile resume.

In my opinion, Romo's playing career lacking team-related championships or contentions, in combination with an even sterling broadcasting career, will not be sufficiently strong enough to win nomination or induction. At this stage of Romo's life, the closest comparison for Selectors' pattern of consideration for the Hall is Pat Summerall. Summerall enjoyed a respectable but not outstanding professional football career and followed it with a brilliant broadcasting career that netted him American Sportscasters Association Hall of Fame enshrinement and the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award. Yet, the strong arguments for both individual careers has not assisted Summerall's football enshrinement.

In my opinion (part 2), Romo's hope of ultimate induction hinges on his ambition and innovative qualities. Ed Sabol should be his inspiration, I think. Sabol's dream of capturing the NFL visually and audibly was both groundbreaking and legendary. Of course, I doubt Romo can be another Ed Sabol but I think he is smart enough to capitalize upon the media of his generation and entrap the imaginations and admiration of modern fans in areas beyond simple broadcasting. That, I think, are the keys that will solidly impress the Selectors and eventually get him nominated and possibly inducted into the Hall.

Just my opinions.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think part of this had to do with being the opposite of his predecessor. Bring something new to the party, Simms was the same old deviled eggs, need more spice.

And I don't think it was necessarily planned but all of the other analysts are busy telling us what we've seen, and honestly most are boring as the mating habits of fruit flies, so he took a different approach, he'll tell us what to look for and he can't do both.

But look at this from the fans perspective, the most polarizing player while he was playing is once again giving us the chance to see him make a mistake. Put it out there Romo, lay it on the line.

It is different and I am not sure I like that style but then I don't see any of them as necessary and double that on MNF. I remember when it was one guy in that booth, watching the game with me and only telling me stuff I needed to hear. There were some real pros back then, Scott, Drees, Glieber, etc and I felt more immersed in the games, heard more of the crowd.

I gotta say that any of these guys, including yodelers, garglers and Howler monkeys, beats that crew on MNF. I just gave up and either didn't watch or put on my CD of Nails on 101 Different Chalkboards.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He doesn’t really do it every play though. I think he toned it down a lot this year after receiving criticism last year but I think last night he was kinda on fire with it and kept it rolling. Even Nance was egging him on. Typically he talks about everything a typical analyst would talk about.
I think that you could take a lot of quarterbacks in the league right now and they could do what he does, but I think he is the only current analyst who can do it. His edge is that he is the freshest out of the game. Troy could probably do the same thing with a 90s broadcast, but he’s pretty far removed from modern football so he keeps it high level. I would also imagine he’s on auto-pilot at this stage of his career, where someone like Tony is still trying to make a name for his self and is probably really studying film every week (better than Andy Reid apparently).
I really don’t watch that many CBS games with the sound on. Like I said it has an entertainment value. It’s just not what I want every game.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He was on.

Amusingly my 10 year old always says "they always say what you said, like a minute after." All day - but not when Romo had that great string of calls - that was an impressive stretch

Jerry and Co. wasted Romo' s best years.

Wastes them.

silver

Reaction score
You'd think he'd make a good defensive coordinator since he knows whats coming.
He can read formations, now i doubt he would have time to relay that info to the field on time for them to use it if he was a coach. He's a great student of the game and should make an excellent coach. I really doubt he would want to leave his job to get back to the grind. Don't know what are his prioroties, and that job he has now is not too shabby. He gets to show off his football knowledge without paying the consequences of making a bad call or mishandling the clock. All that work that is put in preparing a team is hardly ever recognized.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think part of this had to do with being the opposite of his predecessor. Bring something new to the party, Simms was the same old deviled eggs, need more spice.

And I don't think it was necessarily planned but all of the other analysts are busy telling us what we've seen, and honestly most are boring as the mating habits of fruit flies, so he took a different approach, he'll tell us what to look for and he can't do both.

But look at this from the fans perspective, the most polarizing player while he was playing is once again giving us the chance to see him make a mistake. Put it out there Romo, lay it on the line.

It is different and I am not sure I like that style but then I don't see any of them as necessary and double that on MNF. I remember when it was one guy in that booth, watching the game with me and only telling me stuff I needed to hear. There were some real pros back then, Scott, Drees, Glieber, etc and I felt more immersed in the games, heard more of the crowd.

I gotta say that any of these guys, including yodelers, garglers and Howler monkeys, beats that crew on MNF. I just gave up and either didn't watch or put on my CD of Nails on 101 Different Chalkboards.
I agree the MNF crew is pretty lame. Wittens makes blatant errors.

I just don’t hear Romo much. I can handle a game here or there but I’d tire of him doing the Cowboy games.

I wonder if his technique was planned or if this is basically what he has to offer?

I can’t imagine all analysts becoming OC or DC in the booth calling almost every play. To me it was tiresome after awhile.

Gameover

Reaction score
I hate Tony Romo

I hope he continues to hold a grudge against the organization and never goes into the ROH

I hate the man ever wore the Cowboys uniform

I wish I could erase his existence from Cowboys history

He isn’t worthy of being a Cowboys QB