News: FoxSports: Tony Romo widely praised for commentary during AFC title game

links18

Reaction score
And I've never gotten it except some of the Aikman haters are Irvin lovers for his unprofessional homerism.

This all started with Aikman's first PHL game and actually heaping praise on their team during a game and they did have a good team. He became a Cowboys hater and that stuck with some.

Aikman is a professional. He doesn't clown around in the booth. He takes football seriously. Just like he did on the field. Got him three rings. I guess some find it too critical.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Nice post. This is a well deserved thread too. TR hit a grand slam last night IMO. People are raving about him, and not talking about him as a QB coach or OC but a head coach. He's going to be able to write his own ticket apparently. Talented guy to say the least.

Nah. Romo is not a leader, teammates had more faith in Prescott than Romo.

He sulks on the sidelines.

I just don't know how he would make a good coach!;)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And no one will convince me that his acceptance speech that he was no longer QB1 wasn't orchestrated by Booger with a reward built in that they would make sure he got his final payment by arranging the release date. Anyone here ever see any QB do that? I haven't and while it spoke of team, it also stunk of Jones. Make him look better. No one thought Garrett was the decision maker on that.
Your description of 'Booger' aside :laugh:I echo your opinion of Jones' involvement in The Speech. Sure, it may have been Romo's idea initially but I do not see any scenario where Jones does not encourage Romo to go through with it. The whole setup was unprecedented. Additionally, Jones himself could have squashed the entire thing just as easily as he terminated Romo's opportunity to return from injury at midseason. Add Jones' nearly three decade long episodes of nonsense and no one (I think) can suggest Jones' fingerprints are not all over that... whatever you want to call... that.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate Tony Romo

I hope he continues to hold a grudge against the organization and never goes into the ROH

I hate the man ever wore the Cowboys uniform

I wish I could erase his existence from Cowboys history

He isn’t worthy of being a Cowboys QB
Take it away Palpy!

ECDJf_.gif

Thanks Palpy! :laugh:

DFWJC

Reaction score
So, here's a question. We all know what a weird duck Belichick is. When he sees how Romo was predicting his offense, what's he going to do about that over the next two weeks?

Obviously, the Rams won't be listening into call their D but HC's are a strange breed about playing it close to the vest. And of all the HC's, Belichick is the most likely to install some twists in preparation. He does this with a week to do it in the regular season, think he'll want Romo sitting in on any of his practices?
He does say he most enjoys meeting with Romo when he has their games because he asks such insightful questions.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I suspect Romo isn’t the only one in the NFL who can read defenses. We’ve just never had an analyst do so in this style before each play with such enthusiasm.

This might be the best Romo has to offer in the booth. I don’t recall what else he discussed or commented on except how great these QB’s were and calling the plays.

It’s very appealing to those overly optimistic half glass full fans who tire of the criticism most analysts present like Troy who can over analyze after the play.

Romo is so focused on the next play that he rarely provides an oversight on the game, players ( except the QB) coaches the franchise and all related topics we often see discussed and criticized by color commentators.
No...not really.
Maybe you should rewatch some of his games.
He'll say if someone misses a throw, a tackle, or block...like some others do.
But really, that is the obvious, as everyone just watched it happen.
But he does that stuff too

Last edited:

cowboyz

Reaction score
I think many of the analysts could do what Tony does. He's really just playing qb with presnap reads. I would hope every coach could do it. And most veteran QBs.

Witten could do it... That's how he got open

The difference is doing it fast and simple.

And entertaining.

I feel that's the big difference his enthuasiasm like Madden and Chucky

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I noticed he called out a ton of New England's plays but not many of KC's. I wonder of that years of studying Brady's film and having great knowledge of New England's schemes?
No doubt bus a fan of Belichick & Brady. He’s a football wonk

zerofill

Reaction score
He predicted all of the freaking plays! There will never be another Madden in the booth but Romo has most definitely found his calling and I, for one, believe he should be the next Dallas OC. . . Dude's mind is brilliant. It there was any doubt before, he removed it all with that booth mastery last night.

Madden was just entertaining... I loved John in the booth. Boom! Wap!! lol...Look at big Nate!

But, Romo just sees things... he loves chess, and strategy type games I read. So you have some people that can just see every possibly thing that could happen, and pick the most likely scenario... and he is damn good at it.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I thought Romo was superb, makes me wonder if Jones is pondering paying him 20mil a year to coach.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Love or hate Romo for his past and present performances for the NFL, he's put every other color analyst on notice of what it takes to be extraordinary in the booth. I'm sure he takes pleasure in being at the top of his field and his popularity is growing like it did when he played in 2006. The beauty of this gig is that in the booth he has full control of his success and he's laying out the gauntlet for the (lazy) analysts who explain the game like you would to a caveman. No offense to any cavemen out there.
Also thought Aikman stepped up his game yesterday. He was on top of everything despite hit partner, Joe Bucks attempt to humor and dramatize the fans.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Romo has this quality about him that even when he would say things as the Cowboys QB that I disagreed with, I had a hard time not accepting. He is a very likable person, he's real, what you see is what you get.

When he made that comment about if this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, after a loss, I've had a very good life I thought 'oh hell no'. Fans want to hear that you're suicidal not honesty because what he said was dead on. But, after he said that, I didn't read him the same any longer. I thought 'here's a cat that needs some study, something different about him'.

I was never a Romorooter or Lover, I saw him for what he was, a high risk QB that will make you hold your breath every time he turns it loose but as far as being entertaining, only Favre could surpass that. I used to be all about the winning but that changed somewhere along the way and I became all about the entertainment. So from that angle, I was a big Romo fan.
I was hard on him too. But after seeing Garrett and Jerry squander talent and the unimaginative playcalling year after year, I'm more sympathetic toward Romo. I still believe if Parcells had the energy to remain with the Cowboys, we would have seen a Super Bowl with Romo. Romo really needed a Belichick. The coaches Romo had (outside of Parcells) weren't competent enough for his skill set and talent. Had he had a coach who knew what he was doing, Romo's career would have been different.

cern

Reaction score
his analyses are spot on. plus he adds entertainment value to the broadcast booth as opposed to the inane, insipid aikman. not to mention he's putting out a pretty good audition tape to be a coach.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He does say he most enjoys meeting with Romo when he has their games because he asks such insightful questions.

I don't think these coaches are worried about what Romo is saying in the broadcast booth. I have yet to see Romo predicting what a team will run have any effect on the outcome of the play. Most of the time he's doing it based on the offensive alignment, what the defense is showing, based on patterns concerning audibles, etc. If the coaches don't know the same thing he knows, then they probably shouldn't be coaching.

Of course, the problem often is that the coaches make a defensive call, the offense counters or its call counters that defense and then it is up to the players to recognize what they need to expect or do to counter the offense. Romo recognized what the Patriots were going to do, but KC's defense didn't. Credit to Romo; blame to the KC defense.