Free agent QB situations should be leverage for contract negotiations

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
PLAYERS, yes. Go find me a starting QB in the NFL that sat out a single game over a contract dispute.. Ill wait...

LOL.... You sure will. At this point, why would I even kinda entertain you on this? I've been cool with you. You just kinda stepped onto the Jackwagon. Enjoy it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Payton is one of the top coaches in the league. I don't put much stock in him talking up Hill. You rarely hear a coach talk poorly of a player. It is just coachspeak, in my opinion. I think Baker Mayfield is better than Hill and I don't think much of Mayfield.

OK, so you do think highly of Payton. So why keep Hill around for 3 seasons if you don't think much of him? Do you think Mayfield would be a backup option next year? Do you think he might be an option who could fit into somebodies cap in that role? So really, if you look at it with a certain amount of reason, does it really matter what you think of Mayfield? Seriously, Mayfield has nothing to do with anything unless you, in fact do think he could be our backup next year.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
I think another thing to keep in mind is that Dak wants to be the Cowboys QB so bad. Not continuing as the DC QB would frustrate him as much as not getting top $$$...
That's a play card Dallas FO can use as well

:cool:

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Huh? You are saying that Dak starting while Romo was taking a big part of the cap space is identical to Dak starting with Dak taking up a big part of the cap space?

That doesn't make sense for several reasons. One, is that Romo wasn't hitting the cap in 2019 like you suggest. Two is that the argument the other guy was making is that the player who gets the big contract doesn't perform as well, and Romo getting the big contract does not apply to Dak in that argument. Mind you, I'm not saying that argument is valid, but that was part of the context of the discussion. Three is that the salary cap is different than when Romo signed, and QB salaries are very inflated from when Romo signed.

But none of that was the point of my comment anyway. The point I was making was about how the Cowboys work the salary cap after paying Dak, which is less about Dak's performance than it is about the team's ability to use the rest of the money not going to Dak on building a team. That clearly does remain to be seen.

Yes...that is exactly what I am saying. This argument is advanced as if we don't know how Dak or Dallas will perform given this "new" reality. That is not true. We do know how Dak operates in such a situation because in 2016 when Romo was STILL getting paid 18 million a year, and eating up a lot of cap space, Dak performed quite well. The Cowboys performed quite well. The only difference is now Dak, correctly and fairly, will earn said disportionate of the cap space himself.

1. And if you want to limit it just to 2016 -- fine. In 2016, the year Romo's deal most affected the Cowboys, Dak was able, despite Romo's large contract, to lead the Cowboys to 13-2, and was one of the NFL's most efficient passers.

2. What difference does it make that Dak is making the money versus a non-playing Romo? The thought-process is that Dak may not be able to perform because the QB position, with Dak's new deal, will take away from other positions...and Dak/the Cowboys will suffer because of it...Well, as I have been stating, 2016 shows that Dak can perform in such a circumstance.

3. You are right, the cap is going up...therefore, give Dak Prescott the same percentage of the cap in 2020 as Romo was given in 2016. See, problem solved!

And finally, however the Cowboys "worked" the cap to give Romo a massive 18 million a year deal, and still "to use the rest of the money on team building" is exactly what they should do with Dak. The Dallas Cowboys figured out a way to give Tony Romo his money and according to many of this board, "built the most QB friendly offense in the NFL" even WITH Romo's elite franchise QB deal.

So I think we have it all figured out: Give Dak Prescott the 2020 version of Tony Romo's massive franchise QB deal. Now that is all done, we can focus on the draft.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes...that is exactly what I am saying. This argument is advanced as if we don't know how Dak or Dallas will perform given this "new" reality. That is not true. We do know how Dak operates in such a situation because in 2016 when Romo was STILL getting paid 18 million a year, and eating up a lot of cap space, Dak performed quite well. The Cowboys performed quite well. The only difference is now Dak, correctly and fairly, will earn said disportionate of the cap space himself.

1. And if you want to limit it just to 2016 -- fine. In 2016, the year Romo's deal most affected the Cowboys, Dak was able, despite Romo's large contract, to lead the Cowboys to 13-2, and was one of the NFL's most efficient passers.

2. What difference does it make that Dak is making the money versus a non-playing Romo? The thought-process is that Dak may not be able to perform because the QB position, with Dak's new deal, will take away from other positions...and Dak/the Cowboys will suffer because of it...Well, as I have been stating, 2016 shows that Dak can perform in such a circumstance.

3. You are right, the cap is going up...therefore, give Dak Prescott the same percentage of the cap in 2020 as Romo was given in 2016. See, problem solved!

And finally, however the Cowboys "worked" the cap to give Romo a massive 18 million a year deal, and still "to use the rest of the money on team building" is exactly what they should do with Dak. The Dallas Cowboys figured out a way to give Tony Romo his money and according to many of this board, "built the most QB friendly offense in the NFL" even WITH Romo's elite franchise QB deal.

So I think we have it all figured out: Give Dak Prescott the 2020 version of Tony Romo's massive franchise QB deal. Now that is all done, we can focus on the draft.

That makes no sense. Dak's "new reality" of being a highly paid QB isn't somehow apples to apples with him being a low paid QB on a team with a high paid QB.

I don't care about any of that anyway. I don't think Dak is going to lose his work ethic or desire to win because he gets a payday anyway, so it just comes down to how to structure things.

As for Romo's deal being structured such that the team still had money to work with, that's largely because over time Romo was willing to renegotiate to defer payments to allow more cap space in the present. But the first step to that is getting the deal done. Once that happens I would expect in future years Dak will also be agreeable to restructuring for the same purpose.