Free agents or to be free agents that could help

Sandyf

Reaction score
We have entered the time of year when some guys will resign, be extended, cut, salary cap cuts, and some that will be traded. Here are the guys I think could be gotten (for the most part) cheap and be useful.

Laquon Treadwell WR - 1st round selection by Minnesota who has not lived up to the billing. Needs a change of scenery and better coaching. Great size, has good speed and can play the slot or outside. Has some return ability also. Minnesota is likely to cut him this off season so should be able to pick him up on a one/two year make or break type situation. With Dallas having Cooper who will likely be extended and Gallup along with Wilson coming back, Treadwell added with Noah Brown and Devin Smith would give Dallas a big time receiving corp.

Earl Thomas S - many think it is a far gone conclusion that Dallas signs him, and I for one hope we do. Sure he will be 30 but has at least 3 good years left plus his instincts are great and would be a great leader in the secondary and possibly the piece missing to start helping Dallas get more turnovers in interceptions. Will he cost, most likely, but a contract could be structured on a 5/6 year deal where most of the money in salary is on the backend, something like 5 years and $60 million with $30 million guaranteed with the last to years having salaries of $14 mil and $15 mil.

Tyler Eifert TE - when healthy, he is a great pass catcher and difference maker, a QB best friend. Knows how to get open and knows when to help the QB. Good blocker, good route runner, knows how to get separation, and a team kind of guy that would be an asset to the offense. Could sign him to a 3 year deal on the team friendly contract with incentives on number of games played. We still could add a TE in the draft. Dallas will continue to keep 4 TEs on the roster so with Jarwin and Schultz it would give us a solid if not great roster of TE.

Malcolm Butler/Danny Shelton DT - one or both could be gone with the New England roster this off season and either could be an asset at the 1 tech for Dallas and most likely at team friendly contract. Same situation as TE where it still allows you to draft one but does give you a proven veteran at low cost and improves the DT spot.

David Irving DT - sure most do not expect him back and they are probably right, I just don't see Jerry Jones giving up on him quite yet. Especially when you can probably sign him back to a vet minimum contract with heavy incentives on playing time, pressures, and sacks. Low cost, high reward type of deal and sure Dallas wouldn't mind a deal of that nature.

Jason Verrett/Rashaan Melvin CB - two CBs that for one reason or another or injury have fallen out of favor with their current teams and both will probably be salary cap cuts. Both have good size and high upside so could see Dallas signing one of them to a team friendly one year deal with incentives again. This could allow Dallas to pursue a trade of Brown and/or Lewis for a pick or two if warranted.

Nick Perry OLB - he was supposed to be a 10 year starter for the Packers but for whatever reason fell off the map over the last two years. Another 1st round that needs a change of scenery and could be an asset at the SAM position as well as occasionally pass rusher. Probably a salary cut and needs a one year contract to make or break type deal.

Greg Robinson OT - if we cannot resign Cameron Fleming then Robinson would be a candidate to be a reclamation project for Colombo. Another former 1st rounder who needs the proper system and a guy like Colombo to motivate him. A one year deal would be the right price at say $2 million.

This seems like a lot of guys but really isn't when you know that the roster will turn over some 40 percent each year. I do see us signing Lawrence to a 6/7 year contract, probably resigning Ladouceur although the kid over the last two years in camp might be ready to take his position at half the cost or less, probably resign Rod Smith as a FB and then draft a RB mid rounds, offer our RFA and ERFA in Thompson and Ross one year deals, and I doubt we offer Beasley or Austin contracts.

I do see us extending Prescott, Zeke and Cooper in the off season or at least before the 2019 season starts. So do we have cap space to do all this plus a draft. It depends on the structure of each contract and the possibilities of say restructure of say Martin and Frederick contracts but in a word yes it could be done. And in doing so then we could look at a draft that could fall something like this.
58. David Edwards OT Wisconsin - could be groomed to be our next RT
90. Kaden Smith TE Stanford - could be the ready TE to be much like Witten
128. Renell Wren DT Arizona St. - huge upside, great rotation with Collins at the 1 tech
136. Khalen Saunders DT Western Illinois - can be a 1 tech or 3 tech, fits what Richard/Marinelli want
166. Bryce Love RB Stanford - perfect compliment to Zeke, might not be ready when season starts
243. Andrew Van Ginkel OLB Wisconsin - great ST guy, backup OLB
**** Believe that Oakland or Arizona are going to end up with multiple 3rd so if I could pick up two early 3rd (i.e. 65 to 72 range) by trade either by players (Charlton, Lewis, Brown, Heath) or 2020 2nd round choice then I would add Joe Jackson DE Miami and Jeffery Simmons DT Mississippi State. Most do not believe Simmons will fall that far but with the ACL which means 2019 red shirt and some character concerns, I could see it.
Major UDFA:
Donald Parkham TE Stetson
Javon Patterson OG Mississippi
Jesse Burkett OC Stanford
Jahlani Tavai ILB Hawaii
Michael Dogbe DT Temple

dallas72

Reaction score
Resign Damien Wilson & Antwaun Woods
Malcolm Brown DT Pat's I'd sign him maybe over Shelton
Carlos Hyde,TJ Yeldon or Abdullah for cheap backup RB
Kevin White, Adam Humpries or P Dorsett to replace Beasley
OT- Jake Fisher or E Flowers backups
DE- Henry Anderson Jets switching def... so could be a steal

Last edited:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
We think alike. I wanted Gregr Robinson last offseason and ended up way out producing his contract for the Browns.

Treadwell and Shelton are two guys I've mentioned targeting also. Think they'd fit here very nicely.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We think alike. I wanted Gregr Robinson last offseason and ended up way out producing his contract for the Browns.

Treadwell and Shelton are two guys I've mentioned targeting also. Think they'd fit here very nicely.
Players in Robinson's situation usually sign where they have a good chance to start.

Beaker42

Reaction score
We have entered the time of year when some guys will resign, be extended, cut, salary cap cuts, and some that will be traded. Here are the guys I think could be gotten (for the most part) cheap and be useful.

Laquon Treadwell WR - 1st round selection by Minnesota who has not lived up to the billing. Needs a change of scenery and better coaching. Great size, has good speed and can play the slot or outside. Has some return ability also. Minnesota is likely to cut him this off season so should be able to pick him up on a one/two year make or break type situation. With Dallas having Cooper who will likely be extended and Gallup along with Wilson coming back, Treadwell added with Noah Brown and Devin Smith would give Dallas a big time receiving corp.

Earl Thomas S - many think it is a far gone conclusion that Dallas signs him, and I for one hope we do. Sure he will be 30 but has at least 3 good years left plus his instincts are great and would be a great leader in the secondary and possibly the piece missing to start helping Dallas get more turnovers in interceptions. Will he cost, most likely, but a contract could be structured on a 5/6 year deal where most of the money in salary is on the backend, something like 5 years and $60 million with $30 million guaranteed with the last to years having salaries of $14 mil and $15 mil.

Tyler Eifert TE - when healthy, he is a great pass catcher and difference maker, a QB best friend. Knows how to get open and knows when to help the QB. Good blocker, good route runner, knows how to get separation, and a team kind of guy that would be an asset to the offense. Could sign him to a 3 year deal on the team friendly contract with incentives on number of games played. We still could add a TE in the draft. Dallas will continue to keep 4 TEs on the roster so with Jarwin and Schultz it would give us a solid if not great roster of TE.

Malcolm Butler/Danny Shelton DT - one or both could be gone with the New England roster this off season and either could be an asset at the 1 tech for Dallas and most likely at team friendly contract. Same situation as TE where it still allows you to draft one but does give you a proven veteran at low cost and improves the DT spot.

David Irving DT - sure most do not expect him back and they are probably right, I just don't see Jerry Jones giving up on him quite yet. Especially when you can probably sign him back to a vet minimum contract with heavy incentives on playing time, pressures, and sacks. Low cost, high reward type of deal and sure Dallas wouldn't mind a deal of that nature.

Jason Verrett/Rashaan Melvin CB - two CBs that for one reason or another or injury have fallen out of favor with their current teams and both will probably be salary cap cuts. Both have good size and high upside so could see Dallas signing one of them to a team friendly one year deal with incentives again. This could allow Dallas to pursue a trade of Brown and/or Lewis for a pick or two if warranted.

Nick Perry OLB - he was supposed to be a 10 year starter for the Packers but for whatever reason fell off the map over the last two years. Another 1st round that needs a change of scenery and could be an asset at the SAM position as well as occasionally pass rusher. Probably a salary cut and needs a one year contract to make or break type deal.

Greg Robinson OT - if we cannot resign Cameron Fleming then Robinson would be a candidate to be a reclamation project for Colombo. Another former 1st rounder who needs the proper system and a guy like Colombo to motivate him. A one year deal would be the right price at say $2 million.

This seems like a lot of guys but really isn't when you know that the roster will turn over some 40 percent each year. I do see us signing Lawrence to a 6/7 year contract, probably resigning Ladouceur although the kid over the last two years in camp might be ready to take his position at half the cost or less, probably resign Rod Smith as a FB and then draft a RB mid rounds, offer our RFA and ERFA in Thompson and Ross one year deals, and I doubt we offer Beasley or Austin contracts.

I do see us extending Prescott, Zeke and Cooper in the off season or at least before the 2019 season starts. So do we have cap space to do all this plus a draft. It depends on the structure of each contract and the possibilities of say restructure of say Martin and Frederick contracts but in a word yes it could be done. And in doing so then we could look at a draft that could fall something like this.
58. David Edwards OT Wisconsin - could be groomed to be our next RT
90. Kaden Smith TE Stanford - could be the ready TE to be much like Witten
128. Renell Wren DT Arizona St. - huge upside, great rotation with Collins at the 1 tech
136. Khalen Saunders DT Western Illinois - can be a 1 tech or 3 tech, fits what Richard/Marinelli want
166. Bryce Love RB Stanford - perfect compliment to Zeke, might not be ready when season starts
243. Andrew Van Ginkel OLB Wisconsin - great ST guy, backup OLB
**** Believe that Oakland or Arizona are going to end up with multiple 3rd so if I could pick up two early 3rd (i.e. 65 to 72 range) by trade either by players (Charlton, Lewis, Brown, Heath) or 2020 2nd round choice then I would add Joe Jackson DE Miami and Jeffery Simmons DT Mississippi State. Most do not believe Simmons will fall that far but with the ACL which means 2019 red shirt and some character concerns, I could see it.
Major UDFA:
Donald Parkham TE Stetson
Javon Patterson OG Mississippi
Jesse Burkett OC Stanford
Jahlani Tavai ILB Hawaii
Michael Dogbe DT Temple
If we go TE at 90 I’ll run into oncoming traffic.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Corey Liuget would look and play great in the blue and silver.