FTF: Eric Mangini: What do the Cowboys have to do to take the next step

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
All star players due up for new contracts (Dak, Zeke, Amari, D-Law, etc) will have to give Jerry some discounts and accept a little less than some other team would offer them. That's the only way this team will be able to afford to keep or build on this playoff team.

If those key players get greedy and start asking for top pay, this franchise is going to struggle.

Romotil45

Reaction score

ManginI always cones off as professorIal to me.

I would say that you can't pay Dak and keep all the great players around him that he needs to be successful. In order to win a championship with Dak you need an Elite OL and Elite RB an Elite Receiver and an Elite Defense. That's a lot of Elites folks. You just cannot pay Dak and everyone else. I would make Dak play out his contract then franchise tag him and draft a guy like Herbert or Tua but that's just me.

visionary

Reaction score
All star players due up for new contracts (Dak, Zeke, Amari, D-Law, etc) will have to give Jerry some discounts and accept a little less than some other team would offer them. That's the only way this team will be able to afford to keep or build on this playoff team.

If those key players get greedy and start asking for top pay, this franchise is going to struggle.

Agree

Problem is, players sign on for 1 of 2 reasons

1. Chance to win a SB
2. Pay day

This franchise has no shot at #1 until moron Garrett is HC and I assure you that despite what they may say publicly, the players know this. So the only reason they would sign here is for s payday. I don't expect any discounts.

Romotil45

Reaction score
Agree

Problem is, players sign on for 1 of 2 reasons

1. Chance to win a SB
2. Pay day

This franchise has no shot at #1 until moron Garrett is HC and I assure you that despite what they may say publicly, the players know this. So the only reason they would sign here is for s payday. I don't expect any discounts.

I agree, sure these guys would like to win a championship here but their first priority is to maximize their earning potential. They want fair market value to solidify their family's future. Who wouldn't ? They all need to get paid fair market value but you just cant pay everyone and Dak as well. The end result is we cant pay everyone and we end up stuck with a game manager who cant win without them. Look at Mahomes he doesn't have a great defense and yet they are contenders simply because with his arm they can out score the opponent Make Dak play out his contract then franchise tag him and draft a Herbert or Tua. Its really the only solution. I here some say " Go get a Vet" or " Go get Foles" but the truth is there is more value in drafting a guy. With our OL ( when healthy ) and Zeke that is the perfect environment to bring in a young QB and you get him for 4-5 years on his rookie deal. With Herbert or Tua ( both have above average NFL arm talent ) you get a guy who can stretch the field vertically. With Dak you end up playing in a phone booth check down after check down as he passes on open receivers over and over.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree, sure these guys would like to win a championship here but their first priority is to maximize their earning potential. They want fair market value to solidify their family's future. Who wouldn't ? They all need to get paid fair market value but you just cant pay everyone and Dak as well. The end result is we cant pay everyone and we end up stuck with a game manager who cant win without them. Look at Mahomes he doesn't have a great defense and yet they are contenders simply because with his arm they can out score the opponent Make Dak play out his contract then franchise tag him and draft a Herbert or Tua. Its really the only solution. I here some say " Go get a Vet" or " Go get Foles" but the truth is there is more value in drafting a guy. With our OL ( when healthy ) and Zeke that is the perfect environment to bring in a young QB and you get him for 4-5 years on his rookie deal. With Herbert or Tua ( both have above average NFL arm talent ) you get a guy who can stretch the field vertically. With Dak you end up playing in a phone booth check down after check down as he passes on open receivers over and over.
This is ridiculous!

In 3 years, guess how much Mahomes is going to demand? Answer: The most expensive contract in all of the NFL!!! The Chiefs will either have to pay him or cut/trade him. What's going to happen to the Chiefs then? No Super Bowl trips that's for sure.

You should be grateful we have a pretty darn good "game manager" who should be able to accept much lesser pay than top dollar in order to enable the Cowboys to field a financially competitive team around him which would guarantee many playoff trips for years to come. Once there, they would have a chance every year to make a Super Bowl trip. It for sure won't happen for the Chiefs once Mahomes has to be paid!

Hadenough

Reaction score
I would say that you can't pay Dak and keep all the great players around him that he needs to be successful. In order to win a championship with Dak you need an Elite OL and Elite RB an Elite Receiver and an Elite Defense. That's a lot of Elites folks. You just cannot pay Dak and everyone else. I would make Dak play out his contract then franchise tag him and draft a guy like Herbert or Tua but that's just me.
Bingo! I wouldnt pay Dak because of the reasons you stated and I wouldnt pay Zeke because he has a 5 th year option and the dude is going to worn out. Just not worth being saddled to a worn out RB for 4-5 years.

Romotil45

Reaction score
This is ridiculous!

In 3 years, guess how much Mahomes is going to demand? Answer: The most expensive contract in all of the NFL!!! The Chiefs will either have to pay him or cut/trade him. What's going to happen to the Chiefs then? No Super Bowl trips that's for sure.

You should be grateful we have a pretty darn good "game manager" who should be able to accept much lesser pay than top dollar in order to enable the Cowboys to field a financially competitive team around him which would guarantee many playoff trips for years to come. Once there, they would have a chance every year to make a Super Bowl trip. It for sure won't happen for the Chiefs once Mahomes has to be paid!

Even game managers these days are getting 20+ mill a year. Look at Alex Smith contract. Daks not stupid and he has one of the best agents in the NFL hes going to get paid 20+ mill a year. If you make Dak play out his rookie deal then franchise tag him and draft Herbert or Tua you can sit them for a year then trade Dak. Then you get another 3-4 years on their rookie deal. Its just my opinion and its not ridiculous.

Hadenough

Reaction score
This is ridiculous!

Mahomes could very well be the next Rodgers! Guys like that can elevate other players and are very dangerous once they get into the playoffs.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Even game managers these days are getting 20+ mill a year. Look at Alex Smith contract. Daks not stupid and he has one of the best agents in the NFL hes going to get paid 20+ mill a year. If you make Dak play out his rookie deal then franchise tag him and draft Herbert or Tua you can sit them for a year then trade Dak. Then you get another 3-4 years on their rookie deal. Its just my opinion and its not ridiculous.
So you're saying the Cowboys should be drafting a top QB every 3 to 4 years, while getting rid of the previous one in order not to pay them $20+ million per year? How is the team ever going to stay consistently good that way?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Mahomes could very well be the next Rodgers! Guys like that can elevate other players and are very dangerous once they get into the playoffs.
Yeah, but is Mahomes going to be worth paying $35 million a year while affording to keep a SB competitive team together?

Do you guys ever think about an important thing called the Salary Cap and how it affects teams?

Last edited:

Romotil45

Reaction score
So you're saying the Cowboys should be drafting a top QB every 3 to 4 years, while getting rid of the previous one in order not to pay them $20+ million per year? How is the team ever going to stay consistently good that way?

That is exactly what I would do. Draft a guy every 3-4 years UNTIL you find a true franchise QB. You stay consistently good by having a top run game and defense until you find a true Franchise QB. If you don't think Herbert or Tua after sitting a year could not out perform Dak then that's your opinion. My opinion is that Herbert or Tua after sitting a year will out perform Dak. In my opinion both Herbert and Tua have a much higher ceiling than Dak.

Proof

Reaction score

Nowhere did he say that. With this team as constructed there is better value in drafting a replacement than giving a big contract to a guy who, while successful despite his flaws, doesn’t elevate the players or maximize the potential. And of the QBs who may be available in FA, none inspire the type of confidence the contracts would require. The hope is that you get a young talented guy in the draft that can match Daks success at a bargain contract, providing flexibility over the next 5 years, while having a higher ceiling for when its time to pay.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That is exactly what I would do. Draft a guy every 3-4 years UNTIL you find a true franchise QB. You stay consistently good by having a top run game and defense until you find a true Franchise QB. If you don't think Herbert or Tua after sitting a year could not out perform Dak then that's your opinion. My opinion is that Herbert or Tua after sitting a year will out perform Dak. In my opinion both Herbert and Tua have a much higher ceiling than Dak.
This is what I think about your idea... :facepalm:

Godzilla feels the same way, too.

94JUFbI.png

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Nowhere did he say that. With this team as constructed there is better value in drafting a replacement than giving a big contract to a guy who, while successful despite his flaws, doesn’t elevate the players or maximize the potential. And of the QBs who may be available in FA, none inspire the type of confidence the contracts would require. The hope is that you get a young talented guy in the draft that can match Daks success at a bargain contract, providing flexibility over the next 5 years, while having a higher ceiling for when its time to pay.
Read his follow up response! :facepalm:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Yeah, but is Mahomes going to be worth paying $35 million a year while affording to keep a SB competitive team together?

Do you guys ever think about an important thing called the Salary Cap and how it affects teams?
Do you realize that Dak is going to want 25 mil a year. The difference between Dak and Mahomes is being able to pay a top safety. I would rather have mahomes and go cheap at safety than Dak and that star safety for the Chargers.

Hadenough

Reaction score
And I knew this day would come when you haters start complaining, HE.

I was really hoping for an enjoyable offseason on CZ. Too good to be true. :facepalm:
Trying to win a SB is a never ending job! Daks performance moved him down the list of needs but it didnt take him off the list.