FTF: Eric Mangini: What do the Cowboys have to do to take the next step

ClintDagger

Reaction score
It’s not overpaying though. People keep trying to dictate how much a player gets based on outdated contracts other players got. The higher the salary cap gets the higher players get paid. It’s just what it is.
You can’t say it’s not overpaying when you don't know the deal yet. That will be determined when the deal is made. No one is dictating anything. The point is that there’s a level of asset allocation to Dak that makes sense and one that doesn’t.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Eric is the same idiot that said that the Seahawks would win because they have the discipline to keep to their running game and Dallas didn't.

Of course, Seattle sticking to their running game is largely why the lost.

The man is a flaming moron and why he is no longer a NFL coach.

Last edited:

JustChip

Reaction score
Mahomes could very well be the next Rodgers! Guys like that can elevate other players and are very dangerous once they get into the playoffs.

And yet GB with Rodgers has only made it to 1 Super Bowl. Yes, they've been a playoff fixture until the last 2 years, but simply getting to the playoffs and playing in and losing the NFCC game only 2 times (not counting their SB year) out of 10 years means having that HOF caliber QB doesn't guarantee anything and maybe in today's NFL, the monetary cost of having that QB actually is a hindrance.

CWR

Reaction score
What is so hilarious about this post is that some of you really don’t understand the salary cap AT ALL!!!!! The ‘Boys have almost $55M in cap space next year - this figure ALREADY INCLUDES Cooper’s $13+M option and doesn’t even figure if Lee is returning or not. If he retires, that ADDS $7M to the cap ($62M). Now, with $62M in cap room, you can extend Cooper and actually LOWER his cap hit anywhere from $3-5M. Then, even if Dak gets a deal averaging $20M, THAT DOES NOT mean his cap hit next year is $20M.

In other words, no one on that set really knew what the heel they were talking about......especially when Dallas has $120+M in 2020. THEY CAN DO PRETTY MUCH WHATEVER THEY WANT!!!!!

Thank you! We can do a lot with our cap, which is the benefit of penny pinching these last few years.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Thank you! We can do a lot with our cap, which is the benefit of penny pinching these last few years.

In fact, I would tell anyone that has a few seconds to actually go to Over the Cap and do the math themselves. Now, you may need to open 2 screens so that you can see the comparable contracts (i.e Gurley for Zeke, Carr for Dak, Chandler Jones for Lawrence, etc....). So, I used those 3 as the parameters for those 3 deals and made NO CUTS. After giving those 3 HUGE deals and NOT extending Cooper yet, the cap dropped from $54+ to $37+...……………$37M+ STILL LEFT AFTER THOSE DEALS!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, yeah, Dallas won't be able to do anything after signing them. Heck, with that space, they could still go after ET. AND, there's still over $85M in 2020.

Reactions: CWR

John813

Reaction score
I'll get to Dak at the end. The Cowboys do not have to worry about Zeke until the 2021 season. 2019 is his 4th year, and Dallas should pick up the 5th year option. So that's one place where I disagree with the OP's video. Zeke shouldn't be a problem yet.

Give Tank a long term contract. That has to be less of a cap hit than the ridiculous franchise tag. Because I think the second time around would be over 20 Mil. So far we should see a net gain in cap space.

Give Cooper a contract. Now we're biting into the cap space, but not a hell of a lot.

Restructure Dak's 4th year. Whatever you want to say about Dak, 800k is an embarrassment. Restructure his final year to around 5-8 Mil, and if Dallas wants to keep him, pay him the money after next year. But I would not go over 20M a year.

Keep Crawford next year but release him in 2020. A 9 Mil cap gain. I don't want to release him, but somethings got to give. Same with Lee either this year or next.

Dallas should have too much of a cap problem next season. Dallas should have the room to sign an FA or two. It is the few years after that they'll run into problems.

How do you restructure a contract on it's last year that has a fixed amount per the CBA? (serious question)

Any raise to Dak this year would come off a signing bonus from a contract extension.

Regards to Cooper, his 2019 cap hit is 13.9, and I doubt his new deal first year would exceed that, so we would "save" money for 2019.

I agree with the rest.

there was that rumor that Zeke wanted a new deal this offseason, which he can ask for, but like you said the team has his rights for 2+ years. Curious to watch if anything unfolds during the offseason.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Bumping the zeroes over would mean it's $45K on $1 million which is significant to me because I don't have an extra $45K lying around. I can't imagine when negotiating contracts and bidding against other teams that $45K times whatever multiple of millions being paid tips the scales to one team over another. I'm not trying to be a contrarian. I hear the state tax argument all the time in for all of the sports and I actually wonder how much money that comes out to be. For baseball or basketball when we are talking 81/42 games I guess it can add up but for football I don't think it does as much.
It's not enough to lure free agents to the mavericks and rangers. Trust me. They've tried

Flamma

Reaction score
How do you restructure a contract on it's last year that has a fixed amount per the CBA? (serious question)

Any raise to Dak this year would come off a signing bonus from a contract extension.

Right. I didn't want to drag it out. But yes, it would have to take the form of a bonus by extension. That doesn't mean they have to extend him 5 years 100M right now.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If re-signing Dak means you lose Lawrence and, idk, Jaylon, you let Dak go all day.

In a vacuum, would you trade Dak for Lawrence, Jaylon, 3rd rounder (comp), and, say, Ryan Tannehill. I sure would, not even a question.

Big_D

Reaction score
Fire Jason garrett. There is no next step with him here.

robbieruff

Reaction score
All star players due up for new contracts (Dak, Zeke, Amari, D-Law, etc) will have to give Jerry some discounts and accept a little less than some other team would offer them. That's the only way this team will be able to afford to keep or build on this playoff team.

If those key players get greedy and start asking for top pay, this franchise is going to struggle.
Cowherd did a segment on this very topic (though it was focused mainly on QB position)...showed how every team that got a "hometown discount" from their QB (primary example being Brady/Patriots) was able to use that extra $7-8 million/year to make a huge difference in terms of rounding out the rest of the roster with additional talent vs. QB's who break the bank.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If re-signing Dak means you lose Lawrence and, idk, Jaylon, you let Dak go all day.

In a vacuum, would you trade Dak for Lawrence, Jaylon, 3rd rounder (comp), and, say, Ryan Tannehill. I sure would, not even a question.
Just like we let go of Romo, instead of paying him top dollar? Oh wait...

Sandyf

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every team and I mean every team faces the same questions each year. Philly is over the cap and that is why they probably will not keep Foles unless they work some cap magic. All the contracts they mention are going to be the average yearly not what the cap hit will be each year. We need to not worry about it.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I would say that you can't pay Dak and keep all the great players around him that he needs to be successful. In order to win a championship with Dak you need an Elite OL and Elite RB an Elite Receiver and an Elite Defense. That's a lot of Elites folks. You just cannot pay Dak and everyone else. I would make Dak play out his contract then franchise tag him and draft a guy like Herbert or Tua but that's just me.
Actually, I don't think you need an elite OL for Dak. He's the definition of a mobile QB. He just needs the right offensive coordinator and play caller, along with his experience that is growing. However, without a very good, solid OL, you are definitely wasting Zeke, who isn't a Barry Sanders type.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Make a move for Grady Jarrett and Earl Thomas, there's plenty of money to get it done. I'm releasing Crawford, Lee, Collins, Hurns, T Will and saving 27,000,000 on top of the 48,000,000 we have. Plenty of room to sign Dak, Zeke, Jarrett, Dlaw, E.Thomas with 75,000,000 in cap space. I'm putting Suh-a-Filo and Looney at LG and Kicking Connor Williams out to RT. We mortgage nothing and restructure nothing to get this done unless we want to keep L Collins who is 10,000,000 against the cap next year.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I don't know why that other guy is so loud, when he doesn't even realize an extension is just that, it extends the contract. A Dak extension wouldn't hit the cap this year, the difference in cap numbers for 2019 would be from his signing bonus which is prorated.

Amari is already accounted for, an extension would come from 2020 which we're over $120 million under right now, not even taking into consideration the cap increase or savings from a possible Crawford release.

The only thing we have to worry about in 2019 is DLaw. Whatever we don't use gets rolled over.

This isn't like the Cowboys cap we've had where real space had to be opened with restructures. We are actually pretty damn good. We could fit in $120million in 2020 and still end up having $20mill in space.

The only thing we should worry about is if we sign a bunch of Sammy Watkins'esque players to $15-20 million dollar contracts. Other than that, we won't have a problem with any of our young players we want to keep.