Fun Question

rcaldw

Reaction score
Got a question for those who have been Cowboys fans long enough to answer it.

If you had to compare this year's team to any season from the past, at this point in the season, which year does it remind you of?

Some things to consider:

Does it remind you of the 1992 team that didn't seem to be a lock for the Super Bowl, and actually was an underdog in San Francisco before showing its mettle and going on to blow out the Buffalo Bills?

Does it remind you of teams from the early 80's? Teams that were good enough year in and year out to challenge for NFC supremacy but just couldn't get over the hump?

Does it remind you of a team like 1971 that showed it had ability, but struggled off and on until it finally hit its stride in the middle of the year and dominated all the way to the title over Miami?

Let me give you some of my thoughts:

Sometimes this team reminds me of an early 80's version of the Cowboys. Wonderful offense, better than average defense. A QB that reminds me a little of Danny White, who was a wonderful QB but a little bit turnover prone. I want to believe that we are better than that, though, and I actually think that we are.

Sometimes this team reminds me a little of the pre-Dorsett 70's teams. Romo is a bit more like Staubach than like Aikman. Roger could look horrible in stretches, but over the long course was a winner. Those early 70's teams had a 2 headed running attack, be it Garrison and Hill, or Hill and Thomas, or Newhouse and Preston Pearson. I'm not sure the defense, as it stands after 5 games, is as good as those were though.

Sometimes this team reminds me of 1992 from the standpoint that I really believe we have the best and deepest talent in the league. I also see our defense as getting stronger as the year progresses, and I think that our playoff experience the last 2 years could help us get over the hump this year.

So, all in all, I will settle on the 90's version. I think we will hit our stride sometime this year and win the title. The one difference being that Barber and Jones is a different approach than the just Emmitt approach that we had running the ball in the 90's.

your thoughts?

links18

Reaction score
Hard to compare, because the league is so different now, but 1991 team maybe?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It is hard to say.

If I had to take a stab at it last year seemed like the 91 team that just wasn't ready to get over the hump.

This year we seem a lot like the 92 team. Even the conference is similar.

I think we'll lose 1 more "big game" this year that puts doubt in everyones minds (like the Commanders game on Sunday Night in 92) but when we get into the playoffs I believe this year will be different.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score

I said it last year, that I thought it reminded me of 1991. We have a high powered Offense and a Defense that is versatile but not dominant.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
It's reminiscent of several past seasons but unique in it's own way. I think because of the internet you can't help but be influenced good or bad in some way in your thinking and/or feelings.

I guess it seems more like the '92 season to me. We knew we had a good team but didn't really know if they could win it all or not.

On the other hand, the thing that makes it different is that we have had some pretty good teams for four years now, and still have not won a playoff game. Maybe we couldn't have expected to win a playoff game in all of the 12 years of our drought, but we could have expected at least one victory the last 4 years. The '92 team had progressed from absolutely dismal status and improved each year and met or exceeded expectations in each of those years considering we had a college coach and a very young team.

So I would say it's closest to the '92 team. And, if we win it all this year, we will all definitely look at next year's team and think it's 1993 all over again.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
Hostile;2313873 said:

I said it last year, that I thought it reminded me of 1991. We have a high powered Offense and a Defense that is versatile but not dominant.

I hope your right bro.....but something in the back of my head is screaming 80's and Danny White...You love em and then you hate him in the big game ( saying that I believe Danny Did enough in the niner game just That D killed us ) same-thing against the iggles they ran for over 200 Yds on us and were killed in Washington, once he was taken out ( D. White ) it was over, I didn't think we were the better team anyways. I love Romo he makes stupid mistakes but then comes back and makes great plays..Its the D that just frustrates the Hell out of me. I hope they can get it together..time will tell

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
They remind me of the 1971 Cowboys IMO... next years champs. Lots of talent, but still trying to put it all together amongst the fanfare.

The 90s Cowboys IMO flew under the radar and then in 1992...BAM!!! They had talent alright, but no-one really expected them to upset San Fran and then crush the Bills... after SB 27 everybody knew we were back.

This year's success will be expected and even attainable, but with FA and the parity every year, it is just becomes that much harder. I hope they hit stride in the middle of the season and start whipping the lights out of everybody... like in 1971. I do expect success this year however, no matter how hard it is...

silver

Reaction score
reminds me of the 1995 version.
  • only one proven WR,
  • one very accurate fan favorite qb
  • a solid running game
  • a huge OL.
  • a great pass rusher wearing 94

• a great flashy cb wearing 21

• a goofy hc who people love to question whether he's even paying attention

• a bunch of probowlers on both sides

rcaldw

Reaction score
silver;2314131 said:
reminds me of the 1995 version.
  • only one proven WR,
  • one very accurate fan favorite qb
  • a solid running game
  • a huge OL.
  • a great pass rusher wearing 94

• a great flashy cb wearing 21

• a goofy hc who people love to question whether he's even paying attention

• a bunch of probowlers on both sides

Very nice, and I think a very fair comparison.

MONT17

Reaction score
He's right its the 95 team. If u trade the triplets for Romo, Owens and MB3 do they win Super Bowl XXX? I think if Aikman played on this team he would be very frustrated and I know 4 a fact he wouldn't have a pick in every game!

rcaldw

Reaction score
MONT17;2314624 said:
He's right its the 95 team. If u trade the triplets for Romo, Owens and MB3 do they win Super Bowl XXX? I think if Aikman played on this team he would be very frustrated and I know 4 a fact he wouldn't have a pick in every game!

Hmmm. Don't buy that one. Remember we are talking 1995 Aikman, not 2000 Aikman. In Super Bowl XXX Emmitt was held to 49 yards on 18 carries. That is less than 3 yards per carry. Aikman had Irvin and Novacek (Owens and Witten), and had Kevin Williams as his off receiver. (Crayton and Austin are much bigger targets) Aikman was 15-23, 209 yards 1 TD, zero interceptions.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
rcaldw;2313747 said:
Got a question for those who have been Cowboys fans long enough to answer it.

If you had to compare this year's team to any season from the past, at this point in the season, which year does it remind you of?

I would have to say the 1971 Cowboys. So much talent but they had yet to "win the big one". That whole "next year's champion" thing just killed me back then. Very high expectations but they were unrealized until that year. Romo reminds me of a young Staubach in many ways.

Hopefully, like that '71 team, we will go all the way this year! :starspin

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
links18;2313767 said:
Hard to compare, because the league is so different now, but 1991 team maybe?

1991? I don't think so. I would say the 1991 team reminded me more of Parcells first year. We had hopes if coming out of the dumpster and winning a superbowl, but nobody actually believed we were destined to do it.

I would say, the 1994 Cowboys where everyone thought we were going to win and didn't. Of course, at this point thats only what it feels like. This season isn't over yet.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
rcaldw;2313747 said:
Sometimes this team reminds me of an early 80's version of the Cowboys. Wonderful offense, better than average defense. A QB that reminds me a little of Danny White, who was a wonderful QB but a little bit turnover prone. I want to believe that we are better than that, though, and I actually think that we are.

That is the closest I can think of, especially the Danny White analogy. People forget how explosive our offense was in the early eighties when White took over for Staubach. Except our defenses then were much more powerful and could take charge of games if the offense had a bad day. We do not do that.