Furboy Second to last Monday no-trade mock for 2021

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So, this is the second to last Monday No-Trade mock that I am doing for 2021 here. I'll of course do more mock drafts next year on here. I'll be doing a Live Stream 1st round mock draft of all the teams on Twitch on April 26 and streams throughout the draft. I'll also probably do a few mock drafts midweek, and I'll do one last mock draft on here on that Wednesday. Last Monday draft next week. With that, let's get on with this mock draft via PFN! You all probably know how I do my mock drafts by now. Got quite lucky with this no trade.

1st round (10th overall) OT Penei Sewell Oregon

Penei Sewell 6'6" and 331 lbs. Best OL prospect in the draft. In this scenario on the PFN, he was just sitting there at 10, so I naturally took him. Given Tyron's injury history and the raw power that Sewell has, taking him at 10 was a no brainer.

2nd round (44th overall) S Richie Grant UCF

Richie Grant 6'0 and 194 lbs. One of the two best safeties in the draft. Richie Grant was an easy choice here to make. He, Kazee, and Wilson gives us 3 good safties, and Grant is excellent at tracking passes in the air. He has excellent ball skills. Grant is also good against the run. Grant is the safety we need at this spot.

3rd round (75th overall) DE Jordan Smith UAB

Jordan Smith 6'6" and 255 lbs. Tall DE who is also quick. He's a terrific pass rusher, as is evident in the above video. I'd have him rotate with Gregory. Gives us help one the edge with our trenches.

3rd round (99th overall) DT Tyler Shelvin LSU

Tyler Shelvin 6'2" and 350 lbs. Absolutely massive 1T DT. Swallows up blocks well with his size. His size allows him to also be able to wear down blockers that have to try to get in his way. It can get very tiring for olinemen to block him. If he slips by his blockers, he crushes running backs like a freight train on an orange. His size also allows him to push the pocket in pass rush, eliminating the QB from being able to step up. This traps the QB who then has to roll to the outside right into the waiting arms of DLaw, Gregory, Basham, and Jordan Smith.

4th round (115th overall) CB Ambry Thomas Michigan

Ambry Thomas 6'0" and 183 lbs. Good size, quick at flipping his hips, and tracks the ball well. All in all, a nice upgrade over Awuzie. Also a good KR.

4th round (138th overall) WR Anthony Schwartz Auburn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXrYNA1nUtI

Anthony Schwartz 6'0 and 186 lbs. As mentioned in the last mock draft, fasten your seatbelts while watching him. Get the ball in his hands, and he runs like Sonic the Hedgehog. How fast exactly? How does a 4.26 40 sound? That's electric fast! He'd be LETHAL in the slot with that speed. Also wouldn't be a bad replacement for Gallup if we don't keep Gallup next year. For this year, we'd have Coop, Gallup, Lamb, Wilson, and Schwartz. No need for any other WR on this roster with that lineup at WR! Also a good idea to stick Schwartz back at KR. Anything to get the ball in his hands with his speed.

5th round (179th overall) CB Camryn Bynum California
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjThom4s0gg&t=83s

Camryn Bynum 6'0" and 198 lbs. "Tough, instinctive cornerback with terrific ball skills. Quick flipping his hips, loses nothing in transition, and rarely makes mental mistakes or gets beaten on the field. Plays heads-up football, possesses next-level ball skills and awareness, and displays excellent hands for the interception." (PFN). Could battle with Jourdan Lewis for the 3rd CB spot.

6th round (192nd overall) CB Tre Brown Oklahoma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwaPF2AW34&t=65s

Tre Brown 5'9" and 188 lbs. Quintessential slot CB. Not a big CB, but he's also quick! Another option at KR as well as PR. Gives us Lamb, Pollard, Schwartz, Thomas, and Brown as return options. Also, if you watch the video, you'll see that he's excellent at blitzing and has nice hands for tracking the ball.

6th round (227th overall) LB Justin Hillard Ohio State
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVXVsnn0010&t=31s

Justin Hillard 6'1" and 231 lbs. "Quick to read and diagnose, takes proper angles to the action, and breaks down well, using his hands to protect himself. Keeps the action in front of him, doesn't get caught out of position and flows well to the play. Gets depth on pass drops and quickly picks up coverage assignments. (PFN)" Would be a nice pickup for us. Underrated LB.

7th round (238th overall) CB Darren Hall San Diego State
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYkGh9HBqbE&t=38s

Darren Hall 5'11" and 189 lbs. "Nice-sized cornerback with a knack for breaking up a lot of passes. Quick-footed in reverse, effectively reads and diagnoses plays and possesses a good burst to the ball. Breaks down well, fights with his hands and positions himself against receivers to make a play. Gives effort defending the run, firing up the field and wrapping up ball handlers." PFN. I'm aware that Hall makes 4 CBs in this draft, but he's another good addition at CB. Solid against the run as well as the pass. Underrated. Excellent way to round out the draft.

I hope you all enjoyed it. Thoughts?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
So, this is the second to last Monday No-Trade mock that I am doing for 2021 here. I'll of course do more mock drafts next year on here. I'll be doing a Live Stream 1st round mock draft of all the teams on Twitch on April 26 and streams throughout the draft. I'll also probably do a few mock drafts midweek, and I'll do one last mock draft on here on that Wednesday. Last Monday draft next week. With that, let's get on with this mock draft via PFN! You all probably know how I do my mock drafts by now. Got quite lucky with this no trade.

Penei Sewell 6'6" and 331 lbs. Best OL prospect in the draft. In this scenario on the PFN, he was just sitting there at 10, so I naturally took him. Given Tyron's injury history and the raw power that Sewell has, taking him at 10 was a no brainer.

Richie Grant 6'0 and 194 lbs. One of the two best safeties in the draft. Richie Grant was an easy choice here to make. He, Kazee, and Wilson gives us 3 good safties, and Grant is excellent at tracking passes in the air. He has excellent ball skills. Grant is also good against the run. Grant is the safety we need at this spot.

Jordan Smith 6'6" and 255 lbs. Tall DE who is also quick. He's a terrific pass rusher, as is evident in the above video. I'd have him rotate with Gregory. Gives us help one the edge with our trenches.

Tyler Shelvin 6'2" and 350 lbs. Absolutely massive 1T DT. Swallows up blocks well with his size. His size allows him to also be able to wear down blockers that have to try to get in his way. It can get very tiring for olinemen to block him. If he slips by his blockers, he crushes running backs like a freight train on an orange. His size also allows him to push the pocket in pass rush, eliminating the QB from being able to step up. This traps the QB who then has to roll to the outside right into the waiting arms of DLaw, Gregory, Basham, and Jordan Smith.

Ambry Thomas 6'0" and 183 lbs. Good size, quick at flipping his hips, and tracks the ball well. All in all, a nice upgrade over Awuzie. Also a good KR.

Anthony Schwartz 6'0 and 186 lbs. As mentioned in the last mock draft, fasten your seatbelts while watching him. Get the ball in his hands, and he runs like Sonic the Hedgehog. How fast exactly? How does a 4.26 40 sound? That's electric fast! He'd be LETHAL in the slot with that speed. Also wouldn't be a bad replacement for Gallup if we don't keep Gallup next year. For this year, we'd have Coop, Gallup, Lamb, Wilson, and Schwartz. No need for any other WR on this roster with that lineup at WR! Also a good idea to stick Schwartz back at KR. Anything to get the ball in his hands with his speed.

Camryn Bynum 6'0" and 198 lbs. "Tough, instinctive cornerback with terrific ball skills. Quick flipping his hips, loses nothing in transition, and rarely makes mental mistakes or gets beaten on the field. Plays heads-up football, possesses next-level ball skills and awareness, and displays excellent hands for the interception." (PFN). Could battle with Jourdan Lewis for the 3rd CB spot.

Tre Brown 5'9" and 188 lbs. Quintessential slot CB. Not a big CB, but he's also quick! Another option at KR as well as PR. Gives us Lamb, Pollard, Schwartz, Thomas, and Brown as return options. Also, if you watch the video, you'll see that he's excellent at blitzing and has nice hands for tracking the ball.

Justin Hillard 6'1" and 231 lbs. "Quick to read and diagnose, takes proper angles to the action, and breaks down well, using his hands to protect himself. Keeps the action in front of him, doesn't get caught out of position and flows well to the play. Gets depth on pass drops and quickly picks up coverage assignments. (PFN)" Would be a nice pickup for us. Underrated LB.

Darren Hall 5'11" and 189 lbs. "Nice-sized cornerback with a knack for breaking up a lot of passes. Quick-footed in reverse, effectively reads and diagnoses plays and possesses a good burst to the ball. Breaks down well, fights with his hands and positions himself against receivers to make a play. Gives effort defending the run, firing up the field and wrapping up ball handlers." PFN. I'm aware that Hall makes 4 CBs in this draft, but he's another good addition at CB. Solid against the run as well as the pass. Underrated. Excellent way to round out the draft.

Offense first pick can only be Pitts..

DanA

Reaction score

Am I reading this right? We’ve got Diggs, Brown, Lewis, Robinson, Canady and Goodwin. Grant, Kazee, and Wilson at safety with Neale a hybrid. We’ll be keeping one, maybe two of those four corners assuming 10.5 DB’s (Neale the 0.5).

I think it’s a mistake to try and compensate for the lack of quality at CB by throwing extra bodies at it. It just means less reps and development IMO. I think I’d rather one good CB taken early like Stokes or Joseph at 44 with a later round safety to back Kazee. Say safety in the 4th and 5th.

But I like the idea of fixing the trenches first and I really like the players in isolation. Just not four CB’s.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Am I reading this right? We’ve got Diggs, Brown, Lewis, Robinson, Canady and Goodwin. Grant, Kazee, and Wilson at safety with Neale a hybrid. We’ll be keeping one, maybe two of those four corners assuming 10.5 DB’s (Neale the 0.5).

I think it’s a mistake to try and compensate for the lack of quality at CB by throwing extra bodies at it. It just means less reps and development IMO. I think I’d rather one good CB taken early like Stokes or Joseph at 44 with a later round safety to back Kazee. Say safety in the 4th and 5th.

But I like the idea of fixing the trenches first and I really like the players in isolation. Just not four CB’s.

I don't know. If we didn't spend any picks in the first round on a corner, I'd rather us throw as many of them against the wall as possible and see who sticks.

However, I prefer that we draft a corner in the first or second round because I do not prefer that either Lewis or Brown start.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I'm with you overall, but the draft shaped up to where I ended up with 4 CBs. There wasn't really a much better option in round 7 for me. Though, I did forget about Canady and Goodwin. So, perhaps I could've taken some other position in the first round 6 pick.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't know. If we didn't spend any picks in the first round on a corner, I'd rather us throw as many of them against the wall as possible and see who sticks.

However, I prefer that we draft a corner in the first or second round because I do not prefer that either Lewis or Brown start.

I think that Tre Brown would be able to beat out Brown in open competition. He's not as tall, but he's feisty going after the ball. Also, he wins on the special teams side of the ball. We do need help at KR and PR, and this draft not only addresses major weaknesses on defence, but it also upgrades our special teams which were a disaster last year. Also, I think Bynum can outduel Lewis in open competition.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

It all depends where we want to take the risk.....either the O-Line staying healthy or having our secondary potentially exposed with Brown/Lewis/ 2nd/3rd.

The O-Line issues in 2020 were not just the injuries, but that we had no cover.....having to play two undrafted Tackles for the vast majority of the season. If both Tyron and Collins are fit they start then we can look at the O-line in 3rd/4th round, a projection, high ceiling to develop behind the experienced starters.

I just think we need to excel at something defensively, a simple run blocking and competing on 3rd down passing with a good secondary.

I would also question the optimism shown on the CB's and whether that weakness in the secondary gives the QB an easy go to play.

I do like your Grant and Shelvin picks.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It all depends where we want to take the risk.....either the O-Line staying healthy or having our secondary potentially exposed with Brown/Lewis/ 2nd/3rd.

The O-Line issues in 2020 were not just the injuries, but that we had no cover.....having to play two undrafted Tackles for the vast majority of the season. If both Tyron and Collins are fit they start then we can look at the O-line in 3rd/4th round, a projection, high ceiling to develop behind the experienced starters.

I just think we need to excel at something defensively, a simple run blocking and competing on 3rd down passing with a good secondary.

I would also question the optimism shown on the CB's and whether that weakness in the secondary gives the QB an easy go to play.

I do like your Grant and Shelvin picks.

The way I see it, I was able to take CBs later because I used the early parts of the draft to address the trenches. Because I was able to draft a proper 1T and a solid DE, this meant that, combined with DLaw, Gallimore, Urban, Gregory, and Basham, the QB is going to be under a lot of duress. This means he's going to be forced to get rid of the ball quickly, thus making our DBs more effective. Safety was where I felt we needed to address more desperately which is why I took Grant. Also, after Grant, only Holland and the S from USC are the next best quality safeties. So, Grant was the choice at 44, and using round 3 to tidy up the trenches. I'd agree with waiting on oline if Sewell isn't available at 10. I have a player in mind for round 3 from East Carolina if we took Surtain at 10. Full disclosure, I highly doubt that Sewell will be available at 10 anyway. But, in this simulator, he was available, so he was the logical choice imo.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Love the top 2 picks, but there is zero chance they don't address the corner position until day 3. I would be shocked if a corner isn't drafted by pick 44.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Love the top 2 picks, but there is zero chance they don't address the corner position until day 3. I would be shocked if a corner isn't drafted by pick 44.

I'd normally take Adebo in round 3, but he was gone by the time Shelvin was on the board, so I took Shelvin and Thomas. Thomas isn't quite as good as Adebo, but he is a solid CB nonetheless.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'd normally take Adebo in round 3, but he was gone by the time Shelvin was on the board, so I took Shelvin and Thomas. Thomas isn't quite as good as Adebo, but he is a solid CB nonetheless.
Everything suggests they are taking a corner either at 10 or 44. This is exactly why I don't think they will wait, it's a doomsday's scenario, when they are wiped out.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Everything suggests they are taking a corner either at 10 or 44. This is exactly why I don't think they will wait, it's a doomsday's scenario, when they are wiped out.

Fair enough. The funny thing is, the CBs I see projected for round 2 on PFN aren't as fluid or as good as the ones projected for round 3 or 4 like Adebo and Thomas.