Future Cowboys? The top 20 potential NFL free agents and whether they'd fit in Dallas

RS12

Reaction score
Running Backs
Matt Forte, Age: 30, Team: Chicago Bears, 2015 cap hit: $9,200,000

Forte is one of the league's most complete backs but has hit 30 years old, the magic number for most running backs that marks the start of their decline. If he realizes he needs to be paired with another option at his age, he and McFadden could give the Cowboys a strong stable of running backs. Dallas may look to somebody younger, however.

Chris Ivory, Age: 27, Team: New York Jets, 2015 cap hit: $2,750,000

Ivory is one of seven running backs to have eclipsed 1,000 yards this season. More of a downhill runner, he'd be a nice compliment to Darren McFadden. The question will be whether the price is right.

Doug Martin, Age: 26, Team: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2015 cap hit: $2,159,668

Martin finished second in the NFL, rushing for 1,402 yards. He missed out on the rushing title by 84 yards. Like Ivory, he'd provide a more physical element to the Cowboys' backfield but after this season would Martin want to go somewhere where he'd split carries with Darren McFadden for a year? If he does pick the Cowboys, it would likely be Martin's backfield for 2017 and beyond.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...-potential-nfl-free-agents-whether-fit-dallas

RS12

Reaction score
Lamar Miller, Age: 24, Team: Miami Dolphins, 2015 cap hit: $1,663,500

Miller has stated he wants to go to a scheme that best utilizes his abilities. It's possible Miller looks at the Cowboys' offensive line and thinks he can fit in Dallas. He'd probably be more willing to split carries with McFadden than the previous two. One of the youngest running backs on this list (he'll be 25 by the 2016 season) he could be the Cowboys' back of the future with McFadden's contract running out after the 2016 season.

This

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Okay, after umpteen mentions the last month I just have to ask. What am I missing on Lamar Miller? Why is he so coveted?

Not that I put alot into the 40, but a sub 4.4 would provide speed that this team lacks. He ha a few super long TD runs. That said, I dont want him at 3M per

Bizwah

Reaction score
Von Miller really wanted the Cowboys to draft him. He went way too early, but it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to come here.

Eric Berry is only a dream. He will be franchised.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Bargain Alert: No way he goes that cheap....:omg:

Defensive tackles

Malik Jackson, Age: 25, Team: Denver Broncos, 2015 cap hit: $1,595,403

In a contract year, Jackson broke out for a career-high 45 tackles. He also had five sacks and batted seven passes down at the line of scrimmage, leading NFL defensive lineman. Jackson plays in a 3-4 defense in Denver and is best-suited to stay in a similar scheme, making it unlikely he and the Cowboys have mutual interest.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Weddle is on the wrong side of 30 and hurt a lot. Pass.

He's hurt so much that he's missed 3 whole games in 6 seasons.

He also just turned 31 a few days ago.

This whole "build through the draft and only sign players in their prime" way of thinking is exactly why we have the worst safety duo in the NFL and a gaping hole at 1tech.

31 isn't old. Carolina signed a 32 year old Roman Harper and a 33 year old Charles Tillman this year and they were solid pieces to a 15-1 team with an incredible defense.

Sign whoever can help this football team, period. You can't fill every hole in the draft, its not possible. Weddle is head and shoulders better than anything we have back there now, and as long as it isn't a monster contract, the defense would be significantly improved which is all that matters

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
You wouldn't like him at 3mil per?? That would be a bargain.

I would rather use funds on a safety, DT, LB or WR (e.g. A Jeffrey). I think you can get an even better RB in the draft that will be here for 4-5 years and cost less.

Its not the worst move, but I dont think is a huge need if you can get some speed at WR and LB

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Let's just draft a running back and be done with it. Fresh legs and manageable salary.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I hate lazy articles like that. Most if not all won't even have a chance to be Cowboys, a lot won't even be a consideration. The majority won't even be available.

If I had to pick any of the 20 listed, I would go with Lamar Miller, Danny Travathen and Eric Weddle.

Since we all know we will never have a huge free agent bounty like we had with the Ferguson/Henry/Rivera triple shot in 2005, I will settle with one.

That would be Weddle. No question. We need a veteran presence in the secondary.

I like Miller, but we can get a cheaper rookie back.