FWST Blog: Wade says Ellis remains starter

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
November 06, 2008

Wade Phillips raved about outside linebacker Anthony Spencer's performance against the Giants, but veteran Greg Ellis will remain the starter.

Spencer is expected to get more time playing on first and second down after producing eight tackles against the Giants. He provides the defense a better option at the position against the run with his ability to get off blocks quickly.

Last week Spencer had slightly more playing time than Ellis against the Giants. So far, Ellis hasn't produced a whole lot in the pass rush with just three sacks but had a big play late in the Tampa Bay victory.

Frozen700

Reaction score
that makes no sense.....if hes playing on first and second how is ellis a starter?.....does he mean just the title?

i hate wade....its obvious ellis is a cancer, to the D, not just with his mouth but with his play along with Henry, and he only cares about feelings then winning...cant wait to hear the day hes fired

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Get all three of them on the field at the same time. I don't care if you have to move Ellis to DE again to do it.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Hostile;2405602 said:
Get all three of them on the field at the same time. I don't care if you have to move Ellis to DE again to do it.

yea DE and only DE.....hes not a linebacker..unless hes rushing 100 percent of the time...even then..hes not solid vs the run...and super poor vs the pass

i hate ellis

Nav22

Reaction score
This screams of sparing Greg's feelings...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mr Cowboy;2405593 said:
November 06, 2008

Wade Phillips raved about outside linebacker Anthony Spencer's performance against the Giants, but veteran Greg Ellis will remain the starter.

Spencer is expected to get more time playing on first and second down after producing eight tackles against the Giants. He provides the defense a better option at the position against the run with his ability to get off blocks quickly.

Last week Spencer had slightly more playing time than Ellis against the Giants. So far, Ellis hasn't produced a whole lot in the pass rush with just three sacks but had a big play late in the Tampa Bay victory.

Yeah, wouldn't want to 'ruffle any feathers' would we Wade?

As long as Greg still likes you, all is well.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
So he plays the first play of the game... Big deal.

The important thing is that Spencer plays more snaps.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2405619 said:

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

i really hope thats the case

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2405619 said:

Yeah, as long as Ellis' feelings don't get hurt, trot him out there for his token appearance as a 'starter'.

That way he won't get mad at Wade.

Frozen700

Reaction score
stasheroo;2405629 said:
Yeah, as long as Ellis' feelings don't get hurt, trot him out there for his token appearance as a 'starter'.

That way he won't get mad at Wade.

Seriously.....its like thats all he cares about..." o **** i dont want to piss him off" wade will never make it as a head coach....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Terence Newman700;2405632 said:
Seriously.....its like thats all he cares about..." o **** i dont want to piss him off" wade will never make it as a head coach....

In this fan's opinion, Wade Phillips is already a failure.

And moves like this illustrate that he still doesn't get it, isn't about to change his approach, and will continue to have a soft underachieving team of guys 'who like him'.

I just hope he's still on their Christmas list next year when he's sitting at home.

Nav22

Reaction score
In Wade's defense (kinda), this isn't exactly an unheard of situation. I remember La'Roi Glover remained our starting NT for awhile even when it was obvious Parcells wanted a bigger body clogging up the middle.

It seems it will be a "token role" for Greg, but if it keeps harmony in the locker-room and prevents one of our better defensive players (Ellis) from getting pissy, it's worth it. Spencer will still get his snaps.

thewireman

Reaction score
The only reason Wade is doing this is either because hes a wuss and doesn't want to hurt Ellis feeling or Jerry said something to him about starting Ellis.

Frozen700

Reaction score
stasheroo;2405643 said:
In this fan's opinion, Wade Phillips is already a failure.

And moves like this illustrate that he still doesn't get it, isn't about to change his approach, and will continue to have a soft underachieving team of guys 'who like him'.

I just hope he's still on their Christmas list next year when he's sitting at home.

lol 4 real.....

still seeing Henry as a starter...shows me what type of coach he is

and Sticking with Brad as long as he did really pushed me over the top

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Nav22;2405644 said:
In Wade's defense (kinda), this isn't exactly an unheard of situation. I remember La'Roi Glover remained our starting NT for awhile even when it was obvious Parcells wanted a bigger body clogging up the middle.

It seems it will be a "token role" for Greg, but if it keeps harmony in the locker-room and prevents one of our better defensive players (Ellis) from getting pissy, it's worth it. Spencer will still get his snaps.

I have to be honest, I think that's what we need right now. We need a real NT that can clog up the middle and make it hard for guys like Jacobs to get his momentum going. Move Spears out of the line-up, slide Ratliff, and get a real big DT to clog the middle. A guy like Ted Washington, but younger.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nav22;2405644 said:

I would disagree with that approach.

If Ellis wants to cry about playing time, he need only be reminded that he's got 3 sacks in 9 games when he got virtually all the snaps.

And when you don't produce, you don't play.

That's a lesson for the entire team.

But rather than 'hurt some feelings' and possibly send a message, they instead choose to appease an aging player who isn't producing as a starter should.

And then Phillips has the nerve to wonder why he's getting the results (or lack thereof) that he's getting.