Gaethers re-signs with the Colts

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Iloka and Boston are both better than Heath.

I think fans here who see Heath every game think Iloka and Boston are better, but both also have major flaws in their game. If we sign either, fans will then get to see their flaws and complain.

As I said, I don't mind signing one as opposed to not signing a vet safety and letting them compete to prove who is better, but whoever wins is not going to be flawed.

With Boston, the main weakness seems to be run-stopping ability, which would be the role they would step into if replacing Heath. Iloka has some coverage issues that have to be accounted for.

I'm not saying neither does some things better than Heath, but there are also some things Heath does just as good or better.

cern

Reaction score
kicked a few tires and went home. happens a lot.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He took less to go back to the Colts? Interesting.

The power of Jeff Heath...is becoming Chuck Norris legendary.

e03ce933df48b8ab-2048x1024.jpg

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think fans here who see Heath every game think Iloka and Boston are better, but both also have major flaws in their game. If we sign either, fans will then get to see their flaws and complain.

As I said, I don't mind signing one as opposed to not signing a vet safety and letting them compete to prove who is better, but whoever wins is not going to be flawed.

With Boston, the main weakness seems to be run-stopping ability, which would be the role they would step into if replacing Heath. Iloka has some coverage issues that have to be accounted for.

I'm not saying neither does some things better than Heath, but there are also some things Heath does just as good or better.

Yes, it's truly frustrating to watch this crew act like they "know better" only to see them fail at it year after year after year.

One would think that they'd get tired of being wrong at some point. And yet, here we are...

It's funny that fans think they know better yet very few have actually studied game footage of Tre Boston or Geathers.

Most Heath haters don't even know if he played SS or FS in 2018 and 2017.

I would like an upgrade at Safety but the Cowboys have had Safeties that were much worse than Heath. Safety was way down the list of top problems in the Rams game.

The Heath hate subsided in 2017 but came back in full force this year because fans remember Heath trying to tackle Saquon Barkley.

Also Heath had a wrist injury and basically had to tackle with 1 hand in the playoffs and that last game against the Giants.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm surprised the Cowboys have not shown interest in Iloka. He went to Boise State and he has Kam Chancellor type size (6-4, 225). He played both FS and SS in the past but primarily FS based on the games I've reviewed. I think he would be decent at SS where his speed limitations would be less of an issue.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's funny that fans think they know better yet very few have actually studied game footage of Tre Boston or Geathers.

I would like an upgrade at Safety but the Cowboys have had Safeties that were much worse than Heath. Safety was way down the list of top problems in the Rams game.

The Heath hate subsided in 2017 but came back in full force this year because fans remember Heath trying to tackle Saquon Barkley.

Also Heath had a wrist injury and basically had to tackle with 1 hand in the playoffs and that last game against the Giants.

Actually safety was a pretty big issue in the Rams game as when called upon, they couldn't provide adequate run support. Heath, himself, misdiagnosed a key play at the end of the game that would have given the Cowboys the ball with a chance to tie the game. But he botched it because, as is one of his flaws, he lacked awareness and feel on the field and got caught flatfooted staring at a TE that wasn't even running a pattern, but rather blocking a DE.

Just because we have had worse safeties than Heath doesn't mean he's good or adequate.

It's a simple reality actually. Our GM came out and said that they can't rest on their laurels and that they can't just accept the status quo and have to get better. When you look at our defense, that made a big move in terms of productivity last year, it's clear where the weak links on the defense were.................. a very big one was our SS. And it was a position where there were numbers in FA and some that came with very reasonable contracts.

And the Cowboys have largely sat it out. Because, I assume, in their eyes, Heath actually is pretty good and they can just throw a mid-round pick at S and all will be fixed. Sure, they have talked to Thomas and Berry but likely they only wanted them if they came very cheap.

Heath seems to be the classic example of front office/coaches overvaluing a player because they like him and like his work ethic.

He's Nick Hayden 2.0. Eventually they realized Hayden was what he was and moved on. I was hoping this offseason was going to be that moment for Heath, but alas, at least for now, Heath is our starting SS again.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm surprised the Cowboys have not shown interest in Iloka. He went to Boise State and he has Kam Chancellor type size (6-4, 225). He played both FS and SS in the past but primarily FS based on the games I've reviewed. I think he would be decent at SS where his speed limitations would be less of an issue.

Perplexes me too. He also was very effective in Cincinnati and they use zone schemes similar to what Seattle and Richard used. He would seem like an ideal fit and the best part is he'd probably be pretty cheap.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

From my understanding, and this comes more from research than watching him play, Iloka is a good field general and a solid run-stopper who does well in zone but can't get there fast enough on short-range routes and gets exposed if matched up man-to-man. He's essentially a different version of Barry Church.

So the question is whether we would prefer having an SS who is sound against the run and exposable in coverage or stick with one who is shaky against the run but pretty decent in coverage.

Boston appears to be more like Heath, perhaps even better against the pass but perhaps even worse against the run. IMO, he's strictly a FS. Signing him would force us to move Xavier Woods to SS, and I'm not sure that would be a good move. Woods, like Heath, doesn't mind hitting but he's not really built to try to take on running backs who outweigh him by 10 to 20 pounds.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to if they do bring in both Quinn and McDowell, not signing a vet. Safety and making that the top priority in the draft. Something about Berry just scares me. If Quinn is traded for, a starter at safety is one of the only major needs. Round 2 - Starting Strong Safety. Round 3 - DT 3 tech or 1 tech. 4-7 depth wherever BPA falls.
And away we go

speedkilz88

Reaction score
From my understanding, and this comes more from research than watching him play, Iloka is a good field general and a solid run-stopper who does well in zone but can't get there fast enough on short-range routes and gets exposed if matched up man-to-man. He's essentially a different version of Barry Church.

So the question is whether we would prefer having an SS who is sound against the run and exposable in coverage or stick with one who is shaky against the run but pretty decent in coverage.

Boston appears to be more like Heath, perhaps even better against the pass but perhaps even worse against the run. IMO, he's strictly a FS. Signing him would force us to move Xavier Woods to SS, and I'm not sure that would be a good move. Woods, like Heath, doesn't mind hitting but he's not really built to try to take on running backs who outweigh him by 10 to 20 pounds.
Is the coverage issues against wrs or tes though?

SackMaster

Reaction score
Would have been a moderate upgrade anyway. I am hoping for a big upgrade.
To be honest, despite me not really liking Heath as a starting anything, his production in pass coverage was vastly superior.

Now in run defense, Geathers may have had an advantage, but in pass coverage I think Heath is flat out better.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score

I think the Heath hate intensified when he lost contain vs. Goff. That play would've won us the game apparently.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Actually safety was a pretty big issue in the Rams game as when called upon, they couldn't provide adequate run support. Heath, himself, misdiagnosed a key play at the end of the game that would have given the Cowboys the ball with a chance to tie the game. But he botched it because, as is one of his flaws, he lacked awareness and feel on the field and got caught flatfooted staring at a TE that wasn't even running a pattern, but rather blocking a DE.

Just because we have had worse safeties than Heath doesn't mean he's good or adequate.

It's a simple reality actually. Our GM came out and said that they can't rest on their laurels and that they can't just accept the status quo and have to get better. When you look at our defense, that made a big move in terms of productivity last year, it's clear where the weak links on the defense were.................. a very big one was our SS. And it was a position where there were numbers in FA and some that came with very reasonable contracts.

And the Cowboys have largely sat it out. Because, I assume, in their eyes, Heath actually is pretty good and they can just throw a mid-round pick at S and all will be fixed. Sure, they have talked to Thomas and Berry but likely they only wanted them if they came very cheap.

Heath seems to be the classic example of front office/coaches overvaluing a player because they like him and like his work ethic.

He's Nick Hayden 2.0. Eventually they realized Hayden was what he was and moved on. I was hoping this offseason was going to be that moment for Heath, but alas, at least for now, Heath is our starting SS again.
The Nick Hayden's of the world don't make game winning plays.

Heath has a few of those under his belt. He also has a playoff game where he had a sack and INT against Aaron Rodgers.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
To be honest, despite me not really liking Heath as a starting anything, his production in pass coverage was vastly superior.

Now in run defense, Geathers may have had an advantage, but in pass coverage I think Heath is flat out better.
Don't think anyone would argue with that. Heath at his best would be coming in on passing downs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The games i reviewed were from about 3 years ago. At that time he was much better than Church in coverage. Church would never have been a legit option at FS.

I do expect that he has slowed down since then. I'll probably do quick review on his 2017 season which was his last season with the Bengals and last as a full time starter.