DandyDon52

Reaction score
calling plays his offenses scored

His defenses gave up

The last 3 years under Dak we’ve scored
421 -2016
354 - 2017
339 - 2018

If the goal of the offseason is to find a way to score more points there isn’t a better KNOWN option than Garrett.

Hope the defense holds up and Dak can play in a Mike Martz style that utilizes the RB more
lol JG had Romo and witten and there is more to it than just scoring points.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
What am I missing? Looks like Garrett with Romo with a slight edge over Linehan and Dak. Is that good?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
lol JG had Romo and witten and there is more to it than just scoring points.
Now he’s got a better OLine when Frederick comes back, Cooper and Zeke and at the minimum a nice complementary piece in Gallup.

And when we’re talking offense production points is really all that matters. This offense was moving the ball between the 20s fine in the 2nd half of the year but didn’t punch it in. Otherwise the Eagles and Saints games are blowouts and the Colts game turns out much differently than a total 23-0 shellacking. We may not have won that game but it’s at least competitive

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Detroit we were up 27-3 and this here guy keeps throwing it

Green Bay with Matt Flynn we were up 26-3 and Murray was averaging 15 yards per carry and we kept throwing it

That’s grounds for insubordination

Agree.

To be fair, the defenses from 2011-2013 were not all that great.

They pretty much wasted Romo's best years.

joshjwp

Reaction score
Garrett passed too much. I remember all the time screaming at the tv "run the d*** ball!". 1st and goal on the 1 and he throws it 3 times in a row. Also passed on first down every time. I hated it. I like a run first offense, but with creative passing plays, not a pass 70% of the time offense. Yeah if you pass every play you will get yards and points, but how many picks did you throw and how much time was your defense on the field. The d used to wear down back then. If they try that offense with Dak instead of Romo we are going to be trash. Dak can't be a 40 or 50 passes a game q.b.

JustChip

Reaction score
Agreed. But on that Detroit game, you can't throw consecutive pick 6s. I will always remember that game. Tony lost that one all by himself. And that's coming from a Romo supporter.

That was brutal. Adding insult to injury was Barbie Carpenter had one of the pick-6s.

Blame is a really hard thing to assess in team sports. Many have the position that Romo overcame trash play calling by changing the plays. But if that's the case and the calls coming in on these pick-6s were passes, why didn't Romo choose on those plays to change to a run? Or why the heck didn't he throw the ball away? That's the most frustrating thing on CZ and with fans in general I guess, the duplicity of what they espouse. Bottom line is that everyone deserves blame in failure and, conversely, credit for successes. Maybe not equally, but certainly a share.

GMO415

Reaction score
Cowboys have not officially stated JG will be making the offensive calls.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that a coach knows his team. 1. He had a bad OL during that time frame. We couldn't line up and be a credible threat to run the ball down anyone's throat, so he had to pass to move the ball. 2. He new his D sucked, so again, he had to score points every drive to be able to compete, which they did. Now with a good OL, and Zeke, I think his play calling would be more balanced. And Garrett knows we can expect Dak to drop back 40 times a game and win it with any consistency.. he needs about 20-25 passes a game to be successful.

I don't care who calls plays, just get it done.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
No wonder so many of you hate Dak so much, because when the QB you love so much could walk on water, how can anyone else measure up?
Well that is true for some, but I liked Romo a lot, and I also like Dak.
They are different types of QB's and being mostly a passer, Romo could do more with JG's lame offense and plays, than dak can.
Cowboys / JG dont design plays or offense for the players they have, they design a offense they like, then force the players
into playing that offense.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Now he’s got a better OLine when Frederick comes back, Cooper and Zeke and at the minimum a nice complementary piece in Gallup.

And when we’re talking offense production points is really all that matters. This offense was moving the ball between the 20s fine in the 2nd half of the year but didn’t punch it in. Otherwise the Eagles and Saints games are blowouts and the Colts game turns out much differently than a total 23-0 shellacking. We may not have won that game but it’s at least competitive
the bottom line is JG is not a good OC, or play caller, we need a young guy with a lot of energy, fire, and a open mind, who can innovate,
and adjust all the time.
Also someone who would design a offense for Dak and E, not try to force them into some offense you like.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People forget, the complaints/concerns about Garrett calling plays was not Garrett calling plays....

It was how his focus on the offense was keeping him from managing the overall game... primarily, centered on time management.

No, it was both.

_sturt_

Reaction score
2019-01-22_1106.png

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That was with Tony Romo who saved Garrett’s keister

Romo usually only scored when the designed play broke down or in hurry up situations

Funny how when we won it was all Romo but when we lost it was all Garrett. So Romo would change plays nothing wrong with that many QB do based on what the defensive alignments are on any given play and if it works that was all the QB but any failure was all Garretts. lol

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
the bottom line is JG is not a good OC, or play caller, we need a young guy with a lot of energy, fire, and a open mind, who can innovate,
and adjust all the time.
Also someone who would design a offense for Dak and E, not try to force them into some offense you like.
The numbers say differently in regards to Garret’s ability.

And age has nothing to do with being a good play caller. Andy Reid/Doug Pederson/Frank Reich are by no means young. And Garrett is by no means old. Sean Payton is older than him by 3 years