Garrett’s reaction to the Kellen Moore hype

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
hopefully this will be the outcome

moore does well - jerry knows garrett is now useless

alternatively if moore does well, then jerry cleans house

I disagree. If Moore does well then he has his entire coaching staff set for the next 5 years.

Clappy the Clown as puppet HC and clapper, Moore as the young, innovative OC, and Richards to take over the defense when Marinelli hangs it up.

He wants to find every excuse in the book to keep Garrett around. He just wants to find the right pieces so that Garrett can remain.

Number1

Reaction score
Does this sound like a guy who has turned the keys to the offense over to Kellen Moore?

no, but whatever made you think Kellen had the "keys"?

of course Garrett has a leash on a rookie OC and is orchestrating the show,
what we are looking at is change that was planned about this time last year

don't fall in with Blacky and the gossip mongers

there will be a ton of things different about this O that will impact play calling

he influence of Lal and Colombo
blazing speed inside and outside at WR
a real change of pace back
more TE dumps than RB dumps
more time to throw with a healthier / deeper OL

the most glaring coaching issue being snapping the ball quicker (like in h 2nd half of 2018)

if Kellen just uses more common sense this will score another 7/+ a game

why would JG credit all that to Kellen?

Dre11

Reaction score
The Packers of the 1960s and the Cowboys of the early 1990s were all about execution. Everyone also knew what they were doing, they just couldn't stop it. They just executed to the nth degree.

This team went as far as they could going to the second round of the playoffs last year. And yes, you could say they actually overachieved thanks to the coaching handicap.

Garrett's issue is that he still expects this to be an execution game and he's not able to prepare his team to do so like the best coaches in this game. And there aren't many. Maybe a couple.

This team didn't have to overcome no damn coaching handicap. This team was coached well in the second half, this team executed well in the second half, Garrett kept this team playing through adversity. Execution is is the single most important aspect of winning, that didn't stop with the 1960 Packers or the 1990 Cowboys, it's the same important component then, now, and until the end of football.

Dre11

Reaction score
True.. and great coaching isn’t a luxury Jerry’s going to invest in anymore. So, we’ll need elite talent to execute.

Again execution and elite talent will always be needed for every team to win.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This team didn't have to overcome no damn coaching handicap. This team was coached well in the second half, this team executed well in the second half, Garrett kept this team playing through adversity. Execution is is the single most important aspect of winning, that didn't stop with the 1960 Packers or the 1990 Cowboys, it's the same important component then, now, and until the end of football.
You completely dodged the real crux of the argument you yourself brought up and decided to again defend your fair maiden Garrett. Bravo.

Dre11

Reaction score
So the entire board has it all wrong on Garrett, but you alone have it right?

If Garrett is so great, then why isn't he calling plays anymore? Why isn't he still the OC? Why doesn't he have a new contract?

Because he is sooo awesome right? LOL

You are "THAT GUY"!!!!

He's still the damn head coach, so yeah he got it right. You nor I have any freaking idea why. We do know what the owner has told us . At no time did Jerry or Stephen say it was a punishment . What they did say was they wanted him free to be more involved in all aspects of the team. But you and all the haters took and ran . Even with the contract, Jerry has told you on more than one occasion that it doesn't change what he thinks of JG and his coaching. That he's not on any "shaky ground" (Jerry's word). For all we know Jerry and Jason
You completely dodged the real crux of the argument you yourself brought up and decided to again defend your fair maiden Garrett. Bravo.

I dodged nothing, you brought up the coaching handicap, and I called Bulls***

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This team is stacked with talent and I believe Dak is ready to take that big step and take over this team.

Jerry has pushed Garrett further and further away from the offense and game time duties. He is basically reduced to organizer off the field, speech giver, happy clapper during games. I think the ONLY thing he does left on game day besides clap is throw the red flag and decide when to punt and go for it. Oh, wait, clock management also. Ok, so he can still screw some things up, but at least we have Moore in here to make important changes.

I just don't think Garrett will get fired. If we make the playoffs, then I think he gets his new contract. If Dak went down and we missed the playoffs I think he gets resigned.

Jerry wants a puppet and Garrett is his ULTIMATE puppet. For whatever reason.

My hope is that after a good year from Moore, Jerry allow Moore to take make even more changes to the offense.
yeah hard to believe jerry will let JG go, no matter what happens.
But there is a chance.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stop, stop using part of what he says and trying to find something negative . He said many times that Moore is doing a great job, taking command of the offense, taking command of the room, and LEADING.
He also said yes it's collaborative with Kitna, the TE coach. He also said it's not much change as everyone interviewed about the offense. But of course Bob finds something to turn negative.
Which is the same thing Jerry said from the beginning
“But of course Bob finds something to turn negative.” LOL.
Just my opinion Dre but I didn’t see Kevin Sherrington’s article nor my OP to be negative at all. It just asks some interesting questions.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Iol - I think fans just trashed everyone. Garrett, Jerry, Stephen, Linehan .... it actually seems more are on board with him as OC.

Here's the best I can figure.

(1) The anti-Garrett legion is smart enough to realize that this season's offense might just improve in a big way.

(2) If it does, they need to have well-entrenched this narrative that Kellen Moore is responsible; otherwise, that Jason Devil Garrett might end up with credit, and we sure as hell can't have that.

Fortunately, it's a relatively easy narrative to sell since most fans are casual fans, and casual fans don't actually pay that much attention to, for instance, all of the quotes from Jerry, Stephen and Jason even before Moore was eventually anointed that affirmed a change from an offensive director system to an offensive coordinator system. It's just a few pesky serious fans who (a) did (pay attention) and (b) who aren't rabid anti-Garrett legionnaires and (c) who will bother to throw a flag into a thread when the preferred uninformed narrative is being regurgitated.

(3) If it doesn't, Kellen Moore was dispensable anyway and it can all be attributed to another idiot Garrett decision and/or a puppet Garrett decision, but regardless, just another reason to demonize Jason Garrett.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Dude... your sig.
Farrah?
Man.

What a gorgeous being. Inside and out.
Sigh... If only I was born a few decades earlier...
Fun fact for you. My Mom went to high school with Farrah Fawcett in Corpus Christi, Tx. Strangely, she also went to high school with Marc Singer, who some might remember as the Beastmaster from the 80's. She showed us her yearbook one time when I was in my 20s and just casually mentioned this. I was like ***, how could you not tell me that before? I literally had her poster on my wall as a teenager.

Fire407

Reaction score

(1) The anti-Garrett legion is smart enough to realize that this season's offense might just improve in a big way.

(2) If it does, they need to have well-entrenched this narrative that Kellen Moore is responsible; otherwise, that Jason Devil Garrett might end up with credit, and we sure as hell can't have that.

Fortunately, it's a relatively easy narrative to sell since most fans are casual fans, and casual fans don't actually pay that much attention to, for instance, all of the quotes from Jerry, Stephen and Jason even before Moore was eventually anointed that affirmed a change from an offensive director system to an offensive coordinator system. It's just a few pesky serious fans who (a) did (pay attention) and (b) who aren't rabid anti-Garrett legionnaires and (c) who will bother to throw a flag into a thread when the preferred uninformed narrative is being regurgitated.

(3) If it doesn't, Kellen Moore was dispensable anyway and it can all be attributed to another idiot Garrett decision and/or a puppet Garrett decision, but regardless, just another reason to demonize Jason Garrett.
There are a few positive things that have happened with Jason as head coach, namely the winning record and the division wins, and he does at times seem like a good motivator. But to suggest any objective observation of what's happened is demonizing him is wrong. He did get the play calling duties taken away from him and most people believe it was because Jerry wasn't happy with his play calling or Jerry was trying to protect him from getting criticized for bad play calling. He is definitely just a figure head on game day no matter what else he does during the week. They try to pump up his image by having him lead the team out(I don't think any other head coaches do that). He is only allowed to call timeouts, decide to go for 1 or 2 extra points, and clap, and he's done each of those things at the wrong time. He called timeout to ice his kicker, he always holds up 1 finger(and makes sure everyone sees it) after every TD and then in the Rams game realized like everybody else that he should be going for 2 so the game got held up while he changed his mind, and he claps and pats guys after they've made some ridiculous bad plays. And obviously he had no clue that Linehan was going to be let go until he found out like the rest of us. I don't blame him for going along and taking the money. I definitely would too.

_sturt_

Reaction score
There are a few positive things that have happened with Jason as head coach, namely the winning record and the division wins, and he does at times seem like a good motivator. But to suggest any objective observation of what's happened is demonizing him is wrong.

Not real anxious for yet another thread that gets redirected into yet another conversation to defecate on Jason Garrett.

So, that's why my post above focuses on offering a working theory, relevant to the actual thread's title... ie, "Garrett's reaction to Kellen Moore hype"...as to why it is that there are some so insistent that Moore is the architect of the offense when clearly it was said even before he was officially hired that the inner circle of Jerry, Stephen and Jason had decided it wouldn't be that way.

(To be clear, I'm one who thinks Garrett will deserve to be let go after this season if there is anything less than a championship game appearance, and possibly even anything less than a Super Bowl appearance. So, it's not like I'm some head cheerleader of his, anymore than it's like I'm one of the grim reaper crew.)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So, if Moore succeeds Garrett gets no credit, but if Moore fails, Garrett gets all the blame …

I'm not a Garrett supporter, and in fact have thought he should be replaced the last couple of years, but this is nonsense. It's just creating reasons to raag on Garrett. If a person is responsible or partially responsible for something, that includes both good and bad.

ondaedg

Reaction score
This is not a bashing dak, Garrett, or Moore response, but you guys are over reacting.

Dak is a 4th round qb, who is on his 4th year. He has by no means mastered Garrett’s offense or offense in general.

If Scott was still the coordinator and the play calling was exactly the same, dak and the offense would improve this year.

What it really comes down to is practice, execution, and personnel. He has the receivers now, and he has some experience. The offense as a whole has to step it up, no matter who is calling plays.

Execution in the first half and red zone

QBs needing 6 years to master an offense is so 1984.

ondaedg

Reaction score
So, if Moore succeeds Garrett gets no credit, but if Moore fails, Garrett gets all the blame …

I'm not a Garrett supporter, and in fact have thought he should be replaced the last couple of years, but this is nonsense. It's just creating reasons to raag on Garrett. If a person is responsible or partially responsible for something, that includes both good and bad.

Injuries, offensive coordinators, lunar eclipses they're all to blame but not JG.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I will say this, if Garrett is inhibiting his own offensive coordinator in any way, he's cutting his own throat. Because if Garrett has any chance of keeping the job after this season, the offense has to see the biggest improvement. In scoring I really, and specifically in red zone scoring.

The fact is, this offense has as much player talent than any in football. So if it fails, it's not because of the players, it's because of the coaches. And if that happens, there's no getting around it, the coaches are the problem and need to go. Garrett most of all.
:hammer: