Garrett’s strengths and weaknesses-Can he improve as a HC?

glimmerman

Reaction score
I will be surprised if they play as much. If I am a HC in my contract year, I am not risking a key player and the OC isn't going to game plan at all.
I would have the OC game planning. Every preseason game, he needs practice as OC.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Can Garrett improve in these areas? Your thoughts?

Not going to quote all your text but it's pretty apparent he is a terrible on the field coach. He has no idea how to adjust, gameplan and prepare. His offense is as stale and basic as you can get. All your strengths are stuff that can't really be quantified. He's basically a clapping motivator who has no idea what is happening on the field. I want my coach to know how to handle the on the field issues and how to install a good offense and adjust. Garrett's "strengths" do not even come close to offsetting just how terrible of a football coach he is. Those mean zero if you can't actually win on the field.

You know why players love playing for him? Because they know they will never ever be held accountable. They will never have to answer to anyone for their mistakes. They like Garrett but they don't actually respect him. Huge difference. No one fears Garrett one bit. He's a joke.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I have a feeling we are about to see "all cards on the table" JG. Moore will probably implement a KC style offense to enhance Dak's skillset.

So it's taken a decade into his regime to see "all cards on the table". Awesome. Glad its taken wasting Romo's final years and Dak/Zeke's rookie deals to finally start actually "putting their cards on the table".

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
[
Yes. I would deny that, although I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. I think there are more differences between Campo and Garrett than who's playing QB. Dave Campo certainly had a deficient roster, but he's never proven to be much beyond a good position coach. Even at the college level.

Again, I'm certainly not a fan of Jason Garrett but in my attempt to be objective, he has won division titles with two different QBs in the last 4 years. Like many on here, I was ready for a change in 2017 at Atlanta. But as a Cowboys fan, if I want to stay a fan I have to accept the cards we've been dealt by the most meddlesome owner in pro sports.

My question in the OP was, "Can Garrett change?" Because if he cannot, I expect a typical Garrett coached team season.

The point is the 77-59 record of Dallas in the Garrett tenure is padded with three seasons where he had the rushing leader and one of the best QB's in the league, or a rookie QB who played lights out.

Otherwise Garrett's record would be a losing one.

He is not average. He is below average and cannot make a difference in a regular season game with his coaching.

And definitely not make a difference in the play-offs.

Give Campo a real QB, even on those lousy teams and he would have reached 8-8.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
[

The point is the 77-59 record of Dallas in the Garrett tenure is padded with three seasons where he had the rushing leader and one of the best QB's in the league, or a rookie QB who played lights out.

Otherwise Garrett's record would be a losing one.

He is not average. He is below average and cannot make a difference in a regular season game with his coaching.

And definitely not make a difference in the play-offs.

Give Campo a real QB, even on those lousy teams and he would have reached 8-8.
That may be true. We’ll never know.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As we near the 2019 season, hope for us Cowboys fans is high. And it is not unfounded. This year’s roster is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. We may have the most talent we’ve had since the 90s.

We start 2019 with Jason Garrett entering his 9th full season as head coach of the Cowboys. Only 5 other current NFL head coaches have a longer tenure: Bill Belichick, Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh and Pete Carroll. All 5 of those HCs have won a Super Bowl. Garrett does have a decent record, at 77-59 and has won 3 NFC East divisional titles. But it’s the playoffs where he has struggled.

Jason Garrett has some strengths. There’s no way you can have a winning record as a HC over nearly a decade without having some strengths. IMO, here are Garrett’s strengths as a HC:
  • He motivates his teams to play hard. I’ve never seen a Garrett team just quit.
  • He is a decent judge of talent. Garrett has to be given some credit for increasing the talent level here since he became HC.
  • He has a consistent model of team processes. We laugh at his “process” but he is consistent with how he prepares his team, using most of the stuff used by Nick Saban.
  • He does not make excuses. Unlike his boss, Garrett doesn’t blame injuries or make other excuses like blaming the refs for losses.
  • He somehow manages to get decent results with the most meddlesome owner in sports.
With those strengths also come his weaknesses. In fact, if Garrett cannot improve some of these areas of weakness, I believe we have probably seen all we will ever see from his teams. Here are his weaknesses:
  • A lack of adaptability. Garrett’s greatest weakness is his inability to adjust on the fly, either in game or even in season. This is what has killed us in the playoffs.
  • Stubborn adherence to his schemes and philosophies, even when they don’t work. He will stick to a game plan or player even when it’s getting pummeled. (See Atlanta, 2017, or rams playoff game last year)
  • He is a poor in game manager. We have seen this over and over since 2010. He consistently does not manage the clock, timeouts, or situational decisions well. This is another area that can absolutely kill you in the playoffs. (See GB playoff loss in 2016)
  • He is not creative. Being creative with schemes and use of personnel is critical in today’s game. Because of the salary cap, talent margins among all teams is much thinner than in the 90s. Creativity is a major skill needed in today’s game.
As a whole, Jason Garrett is a better than average NFL HC, as his record indicates. But if we are going to ever see what we all hope as Cowboys fans- that we finally at least have another deep playoff run, then those consistent problems with adaptability, creativity and in-game management must change. Without those changes, we may have gone as far as we can with Garrett.

Can Garrett improve in these areas? Your thoughts?
His strength is that that he has video on Jerry. His weakness is that he sucks.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He is what he is by now, don’t see much changing on gameday from his perspective. The team is going to need to be solid in all three phases for a long playoff run.

visionary

Reaction score
I have a feeling we are about to see "all cards on the table" JG. Moore will probably implement a KC style offense to enhance Dak's skillset.

Fools gold
The early season schedule is easy and opposition won’t know the new offense so we will so we’ll do better in first half and there will be a lot of I told you so’s

Then let’s see what happens in November and December

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I will be surprised if they play as much. If I am a HC in my contract year, I am not risking a key player and the OC isn't going to game plan at all.
I agree on the game planning... I don’t care about the score. But I do want my starters more prepared for the reg season than they were last year.

GMO415

Reaction score
So it's taken a decade into his regime to see "all cards on the table". Awesome. Glad its taken wasting Romo's final years and Dak/Zeke's rookie deals to finally start actually "putting their cards on the table".
A man without a contract is desperate

visionary

Reaction score
Garrett certainly likes to see others take the fall for his mistakes. We've seen that over and over throughout his tenure.

You’re talking to Garrett’s mother so don’t expect any sense

visionary

Reaction score
Then explain the three 8-8 seasons. You'll say that was then. But I believe it shows what happens when Garrett has less than quality talent. Like it does with most coaches.

I'll ask you, Bob, the sam thing I have asked this board many times. No one seems to want to ansxwer the question.

Campo went 5-11 three straight times.

He had a beat-up Troy Aikman his first year. A rookie Quincy Carter his second. And a first year Qiincy Carter his third.

Garrett had Romo, who was at the height of his career stats wise. He three for 4100+ in 2011, 4900+ in 2012, and 3900+ in 2013.

Romo's asser ratings were in the high 90's and one year was over 100.

Quincy was in the 70's and Aikman was in the 80's.

My contention and question to you is this.

The only difference between Garrett and Campo was the QB they had.

Can youn deny this?

Garrett homers will deny it but it’s true

It is really difficult to take a top 5 QB, HOF LDE, and HOF TE and go 8-8 for 3 straight seasons unless you’re a moron

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Garrett homers will deny it but it’s true

It is really difficult to take a top 5 QB, HOF LDE, and HOF TE and go 8-8 for 3 straight seasons unless you’re a moron
He should have been fired after anyone of those 8-8 seasons. On top of that we lost 3 straight play-in games to each of our division rivals. I don't know how anybody could have survived that.