Garrett’s strengths and weaknesses-Can he improve as a HC?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because 10 years is the big picture. We know what he is. 2 playoff wins in 10 years. Exposed.

Ten years with, what, three teams in that span that had an outside shot at getting to a championship game?

Come on. We both know there are factors other than coaching that come into play when it comes to winning Superbowls. You need the head coach. You need the staff. You need the roster. You need health. You need some luck. You need games called properly (see: 2018 Saints).

The ten year timeframe is irrelevant if the things that keep the team from advancing have little or nothing to do with coaching.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Team shows up for games like a box of chocolates . You never know what you're going to get
50% of the time ready to play.
25% a gaffe fest.
25% flat.
Every team has a stinker at times but Garrett excels at showing up not ready to play.

That’s not true, either. We generally beat the teams we’re supposed to beat under Garrett. In fact, most offseason we’re having insane discussions about how we beat teams with losing records easily but can only beat good teams a smaller percentage of the time. As if the math on that is somehow surprising to anybody.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re talking to Garrett’s mother so don’t expect any sense

If you’re going to post foolish things, at least have the sack to not do it passively. I’d be happy to have a sensible conversation with you on the topic if you’re capable of more than another drive-by-misfire at some point.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Garrett is very consistent but his weaknesses out weight his strengths in my opinion. He will never change because he thinks his process is working and it is with everyone but him. The Cowboys do well in the regular season but the issues always show up in the playoffs because thats where coaching is most important. Were gonna see what Moore can do but Im not holding my breath because he may be limited because I dont see Dak as a QB who can make all the throws.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
As we near the 2019 season, hope for us Cowboys fans is high. And it is not unfounded. This year’s roster is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. We may have the most talent we’ve had since the 90s.

We start 2019 with Jason Garrett entering his 9th full season as head coach of the Cowboys. Only 5 other current NFL head coaches have a longer tenure: Bill Belichick, Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh and Pete Carroll. All 5 of those HCs have won a Super Bowl. Garrett does have a decent record, at 77-59 and has won 3 NFC East divisional titles. But it’s the playoffs where he has struggled.

Jason Garrett has some strengths. There’s no way you can have a winning record as a HC over nearly a decade without having some strengths. IMO, here are Garrett’s strengths as a HC:
  • He motivates his teams to play hard. I’ve never seen a Garrett team just quit.
  • He is a decent judge of talent. Garrett has to be given some credit for increasing the talent level here since he became HC.
  • He has a consistent model of team processes. We laugh at his “process” but he is consistent with how he prepares his team, using most of the stuff used by Nick Saban.
  • He does not make excuses. Unlike his boss, Garrett doesn’t blame injuries or make other excuses like blaming the refs for losses.
  • He somehow manages to get decent results with the most meddlesome owner in sports.
With those strengths also come his weaknesses. In fact, if Garrett cannot improve some of these areas of weakness, I believe we have probably seen all we will ever see from his teams. Here are his weaknesses:
  • A lack of adaptability. Garrett’s greatest weakness is his inability to adjust on the fly, either in game or even in season. This is what has killed us in the playoffs.
  • Stubborn adherence to his schemes and philosophies, even when they don’t work. He will stick to a game plan or player even when it’s getting pummeled. (See Atlanta, 2017, or rams playoff game last year)
  • He is a poor in game manager. We have seen this over and over since 2010. He consistently does not manage the clock, timeouts, or situational decisions well. This is another area that can absolutely kill you in the playoffs. (See GB playoff loss in 2016)
  • He is not creative. Being creative with schemes and use of personnel is critical in today’s game. Because of the salary cap, talent margins among all teams is much thinner than in the 90s. Creativity is a major skill needed in today’s game.
As a whole, Jason Garrett is a better than average NFL HC, as his record indicates. But if we are going to ever see what we all hope as Cowboys fans- that we finally at least have another deep playoff run, then those consistent problems with adaptability, creativity and in-game management must change. Without those changes, we may have gone as far as we can with Garrett.

Can Garrett improve in these areas? Your thoughts?

Shorter: Garrett collects good players and helps develop them only to set them up to lose on the field with poor scheme and poor game management.

Garrett screws the team with game management, year in, year out, because he thinks there's nothing to improve. He believes his early press as Ivy League Football Prodigy despite engaging in coaching malpractice, and defending his malpractice after it blows up in our faces.

2016 playoff game. Maybe we should have paid more attention to *not* giving the ball back to Rogers? Nah! "You have to focus on that next score first".

Next year we lose to Rogers again, giving him the ball back with too much time on the clock again. Maybe we should have paid more attention to *not* giving the ball back to Rogers? Nah! "You have to focus on that next score first".

No, you actually have to maximize your chance to win the game, you dolt, not maximize your chance to get the next score. He's convinced as a matter of strategic dogma of something idiotic. Of course we lose. And of course he'll never change. He's convinced he's right on dogmatic grounds impervious to reality telling him he's wrong year after year after year.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I believe he would be an elite HC at a top 20 NCAA program.
At the pro level, he is what he is....

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s not true, either. We generally beat the teams we’re supposed to beat under Garrett. In fact, most offseason we’re having insane discussions about how we beat teams with losing records easily but can only beat good teams a smaller percentage of the time. As if the math on that is somehow surprising to anybody.
Point being, we start off as a hot mess in the first quarter many times. False starts, wrong personnel, and wasting TOs. If you can't acknowledge that you are watching with your homer glasses on. We all realize the cowboys organization can do no wrong in your eyes. That's fine, but don't call me a liar, maybe it's time to check your staff member badge at the door, because as usual, you're wrong.

visionary

Reaction score
If you’re going to post foolish things, at least have the sack to not do it passively. I’d be happy to have a sensible conversation with you on the topic if you’re capable of more than another drive-by-misfire at some point.

Well, 3 kinds of people still support Garrett

1. Stupid and ignorant people

2. People who know he’s incompetent but aren’t willing to admit it publicly because they have told everybody ‘they know football’ and have supported Garrett and will look foolish (although they don’t realize they look foolish anyway)

3. Garrett’s mother

I don’t know you personally so I assumed you were Garrett’s mother but if you’re not, my apologies, and you can let us know which of #1 or #2 you are

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I feel Garrett is at least average as a head coach, although he seems to improve whenever his responsibilities are minimized. To me, it indicates he's best limited to being a motivator more so than being a tactician. I hope he allows Moore to follow his instincts and finds success in taking that route.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Supporting Garrett involves fans who truly understand the obstacles and hindrances Jerry’s mgmt style presents needing HC who can not only influence his instincts but overcome the distractions in a cohesive manner.

Garretts greatest asset since he took over as HC in 2011 is the culture he’s developed. 8 years later we don’t even appear to be as dysfunctional as we were for most of the last 20+ years. We have a more collaborate effort amongst Jerry , Stephen , Jason and Will which has delivered arguably one of the most talented rosters since the 90’s and have won 3 of the last 5 divisional titles coming twice within a couple plays of a championship appearance.

For this Cowboy fan who felt pretty hopeless since the 90’s this is as good of an organization as I could have hoped for within Jerry’s mgmt style. I’m not sure Jerry wound attract a more proven HC. We’ve had more proven and experienced HC’s with Parcells and Phillips with no better decisions, culture or results.

I understand the frustrations of not advancing further. We all want more success. I’m just not sure where the better answers reside. And I’m not sure normal solutions are an option with Jerry. This might be about as good as it gets with Jerry’s current mgmt style.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Won the NFCE 3 of 5 years, how many Championship games have we advanced too? How many of those PO games we lost in our first appearance even with home field advantage thurout.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
He learned that early on watching Aikman. I believe handling the media is a coaching strength and one of the reasons he will get a shot with another NFL team.
I don’t believe there’s anyway he’ll ever be another head coach. I’ll be surprised if he gets a coordinator job.

Pretty simple. His weaknesses outweigh his strengths.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
After 20 years of Garrett lol

Uh, no!

If we win anything it will be in spite of him.

He is Marvin Lewis 2.0 princeton version.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Were gonna see what Moore can do but Im not holding my breath because he may be limited because I dont see Dak as a QB who can make all the throws.
This always makes me chuckle given what we have heard about Dak's improvement and knowing Moore will be a better play caller.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don’t believe there’s anyway he’ll ever be another head coach. I’ll be surprised if he gets a coordinator job.

Pretty simple. His weaknesses outweigh his strengths.
But he is a great boss butt kisser who won't rock the boat. And everyone in the league knows it. That might appeal to some other owner who doesn't want a strong head coach.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
After 20 years of Garrett lol

Uh, no!

If we win anything it will be in spite of him.

He is Marvin Lewis 2.0 princeton version.

Exactly. He is Marvin Lewis except Marvin Lewis can actually coach defense and Garrett can only bring structure and cliches.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Supporting Garrett involves fans who truly understand the obstacles and hindrances Jerry’s mgmt style presents needing HC who can not only influence his instincts but overcome the distractions in a cohesive manner.
I don't think Jerry hinders him nearly like the Garrett fans claim. Jerry certainly wasn't the one botching clock management like in the vid I posted earlier or against the Cards when he Ice Iced Bailey. Execute just average clock management to win either of those games and we're in the playoffs. Instead, the Garrett fans get to claim this narrative that those three 8-8 teams were maxed out win-wise.

And do you really think Garrett would have disciplined Greg Hardy when he slapped the clipboard out of that coach's hand? No way. Nothing about Garrett's personality suggests that.

Besides, you give Garrett credit for the roster, culture, etc. So he obviously isn't as powerless as you claim.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
Would people stop sticking up for this guy? Geez! How long is this guy gonna be around? He has no superbowl or NFC championships to show for him. Enough .

Last edited: