Garrett’s strengths and weaknesses-Can he improve as a HC?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coming out flat for the start of that game also rings some bells.

We scored on our first drive. And got into position to score again on the second before the bizarre Unsportsmanlike Conduct call on Butler. We didn’t come out flat.

JayFord

Reaction score
Can he improve? Yes

He’s a master motivator if the man simply did X’s and O’s and didn’t run the same things over and over again we would be talking about getting our 10th ring this season

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously, you don’t read my posts, do you? Or maybe that’s not fair, and you simply don’t understand them. I’m not sure. I’m critical of a lot of things this team does. I just don’t think our issues are primarily with the head coach. But that’s ok, too. Carry on with the complaining about all the stuff you haven’t bothered to think through properly.
Seriously, you don’t read my posts, do you?
You got me, I don't read your posts seriously

CCBoy

Reaction score
I believe all good leaders can change. If he can’t change he’s not a good leader. If Garrett cannot change, his teams have reached as high as it can. If he can change, even as you describe by letting other people like Moore or Richard influence him more, maybe he can change. We have to hope so or this will be a fairly predictable season.

Jerry, himself, has improved over time. Maybe, it took some time for Jason Garrett to acquire wisdom.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I doubt Garrett is the master motivator some perceive him as. Its more about no accountability or responsibility. Troy Aikman was highly critical of Barry Switzer. He may have said positive things about Garrett from the booth, but I don't think there's any way he would enjoy playing for him. Troy prefers a strict, well run environment like the one Jimmy provided. Its not the same with Garrett.

In connection with his coaching staff, Jerry is pretty nice to have in a player's corner. That still works in today's NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In connection with his coaching staff, Jerry is pretty nice to have in a player's corner. That still works in today's NFL.
Does it? When Phillips was HC he asked to increase fines to get players to show up on time and Booger said no and even said some had "media passes" to be late. Later that season, the team came apart and Phillips caught the flak, that should have been laid at Booger's doorstep, he not only invited that, he helped create it. Johnson called it a country club atmosphere for a good reason.

One of Parcells first acts was to take control of his locker room. Emmitt bucked him and he cut him. That doesn't happen without total coaching control. The last thing a HC needs is the owner in any player's corner.

When Kraft got Belichick and Brady to reach that compromise, he did make sure Brady gave up something in return for Jimmy G getting traded, about 10M a year at the time. He could have just told Belichick Brady was the guy but then Belichick wouldn't have been.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Does it? When Phillips was HC he asked to increase fines to get players to show up on time and Booger said no and even said some had "media passes" to be late. Later that season, the team came apart and Phillips caught the flak, that should have been laid at Booger's doorstep, he not only invited that, he helped create it. Johnson called it a country club atmosphere for a good reason.

One of Parcells first acts was to take control of his locker room. Emmitt bucked him and he cut him. That doesn't happen without total coaching control. The last thing a HC needs is the owner in any player's corner.

When Kraft got Belichick and Brady to reach that compromise, he did make sure Brady gave up something in return for Jimmy G getting traded, about 10M a year at the time. He could have just told Belichick Brady was the guy but then Belichick wouldn't have been.

Oh, live in the past 20+ years without update...in some areas, NFL players have evolved.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i think the cowboys over the last few years talent wise have been pretty close to most teams in the nfl where the cowboys get beat in the post season is coaching they weren't prepared to play the rams the rams coaches were just better the talent on the field was close I think they are really talented this year but it wont do any good because when it come to coaching in the playoffs they will again be out coached and lose

Fire407

Reaction score
Jerry, himself, has improved over time. Maybe, it took some time for Jason Garrett to acquire wisdom.
I'm not sure that Jerry has improved. As a matter of fact I equate current Jerry with Al Davis near the end. Jerry and everyone else now knows that the Cowboys were who they were in the 90's because of Jimmy. Jerry is still trying to prove that he can get a Lombardi with any head coach.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm not sure that Jerry has improved. As a matter of fact I equate current Jerry with Al Davis near the end. Jerry and everyone else now knows that the Cowboys were who they were in the 90's because of Jimmy. Jerry is still trying to prove that he can get a Lombardi with any head coach.
Gave away keeping up... for Lent, did we?