Garrett Failed So Pay All of the Play Makers

blueblood70

Reaction score
The '90s Cowboys success has nothing to do with the current Cowboys salary situation. Stop connecting dots that have no business being connected.
exactly different ERA and noone in this era is stupid enough to pull a Herchel walker trade..in a lot of ways the Cowboys fell into that with a ton of luck with that trade alone propelled them to greatness..

different times and the stars have to align with luck and talent to win like that..they had what 12 HOF players on that team maybe more? im pretty sure JG having that roster may have a ring..who knows..

Look at the Rams last year fell into a SB with bad call, Cowboys with the Dez no catch and some other odd plays just missed getting over the hump..Phily after the debacle with chip kelley and they didnt know Wentz would go down and Foles becomes hero, thats not skill its dumb luck and great timing..its total team.. The Patrick Crayton game, the no first down call on Witten in seatle and the Romo FG greased ballGATE.. its crazy how close we have been but had soe crazy things that kept us for advancing..The Gnats two plays with the helmet catch etc how about Brady's first SB the snow game where Raiders should have advanced and that rule was made for the empty hand etc..

sometimes teams get lucky and others seemed to be snake bit and all the plays go against them like us..soon I feel it.. pay the dang guys and lets break trough the window..

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Placing all the blame on a HC who has no real authority over the team useless. He has no power to cut players or coaches. Can't call plays on either side of the ball but he 100% gets all the blame. Hamstrung by a dysfunctional front office the jimmy j coaching era is way long gone, and parcels was a fleeting moment only to garner support for the new stadium never to be seen again while jerry lives.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Does “sign these guys” mean we pay whatever price they ask?
I wouldn't. Because of this little thing called the draft. I would give them respectable take it or leave it (top five) offers.

In my post I was hoping to better explain the OP.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen Jones should stop messing around and pay Dak, Zeke and Cooper. They have the cap room. The players have delivered as play makers.

The problem is that where Jimmy Johnson succeeded with a young QB, RB, and WR. Jason Garrett failed. Garrett had 2016-2018 and could only deliver one playoff win. Garrett with Dak, Zeke, Dez, and Witten in 2016 playoff lost, Dak, Zeke, Dez, and Witten in 2017 no playoffs, and Dak, Zeke, and Cooper in 2018 playoff win.

Jimmy Johnson from 1990-1992 delivered 3 playoff wins and a Super Bowl win with his young guns before any holdouts and contract negotiations. Johnson knew he had a window and jump through it. Jason Garrett has been a big disappointment as the next Tom Landry (as Jerry described). When resigned Jason Garrett as Head Coach after the 2014 season, Jerry has created the mess he is in now. Jason had gone 8-8 seasons 3 times in a row losing crucial NFC East games with no playoffs, 12-4 with a Wild Card win and bad coaching in the Greenbay divisional playoff lost. What was the reward Jerry got for resigning Jason Garrett? The Cowboys went 4-12 in 2015.

Jerry Jones hired the next Tom Landry and he is not Tom Landry. So pay Dak, Zeke, Cooper, and hire a new Head Coach.

Post of the day here. Cowboy fans have been conditioned to believe they need a star at nearly every position to overcome the garbage coaching. Compare the Pats and Cowboys rosters. Away from Brady it isn’t even close. Will M has done an awesome job and yet this team still struggles to take the next step. The way this team was out coached by the Rams says it all. That was a second year coach dissecting Garrett. They will never win with him.

plasticman

Reaction score
Could someone tell me the last time a Head Coach got his team to a 13-3 record with a 3rd team rookie QB starting every game as well as a rookie RB?

That 2016 team was one play away from their first NFC championship game in 20 years.

One losing season under Jason Garrett. They now have a team capable of competing in the playoffs.

Jason Garrett has not failed nor has he succeeded. His chapter in Cowboys history is still being written.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
How did he get this reputation? Please don't start this rumor. JG has never been know as a talent elevator, Will McClay and the scouting department put this team together. To be honest, JG really has nothing that's he's best at.

Although I don't agree with your final sentence, I do agree that we cannot assume just because Dallas has acquired talent that Garrett is a good talent evaluator. I don't think anyone knows exactly how much of a role he has had in that area. It appears to be me that Dallas uses a system where McClay has the most input, Garrett and his coordinators give their input and the Joneses make the final call based on that input.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How did he get this reputation? Please don't start this rumor. JG has never been know as a talent elevator, Will McClay and the scouting department put this team together. To be honest, JG really has nothing that's he's best at.

I agree that it's an odd narrative.

My gut feeling is that Garrett's biggest contribution in this area has been to cooperate with McClay and Stephen Jones to present a "unified front" with regards to how things are presented to Jerry.

I think the day of Cowboys employees presenting "rouge" opinions to Jerry that don't match up with the consensus are gone.
- Much of that is due to McClay working with the coaches and everyone involved to establish a basic consensus before info is presented to Jerry.
- I do think that Garrett tried to back the scouting dept. even before McClay became the top guy doing evaluations of personnel.
- Garrett tried to back them in the 2013 debacle where the scouting dept. loved the DT Floyd but Marinelli didn't.
- McClay was promoted to the top job after that draft.
- The Floyd debacle was the fault of Tom Ciskowski for not working with the coaches to get their input.

I also believe that Stephen Jones has the entire family on board to help block outsiders from giving Jerry rouge opinions.
- Stephen's rise to running football operations likely involved the immediate family presenting a united front to Jerry.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Garrett a middle of the road coach. Not as bad a Campo but definitely nowhere as imaginative and inventive as Landry of Johnson. He's the guy who will never have his team quit on him and will consistently give you a .500 season. He basically needs what Barry Switzer inherited when he took over the Cowboys job after Jimmy. A team stacked with pro-bowl caliber players who could run the offense and defense with minimal supervision and coaching. Problem is in the modern day NFL you cannot build that team.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I must apologize, for some of you do have a photographic memory...out of focus and with no adjustment.