Garrett not ready to commit to new LG over Williams

dwreck27

Reaction score
Why rush up williams??

Maybe this will be good having to EARN your job back?

I never like handing jobs away with little to no work other than just showing up

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He’s been in the league like 5 years though maybe a different blocking scheme with Texans
He played well and hopefully keeps playing well
He came out in the 2014 draft. Drafted 33rd overall so someone thought he was good at the time. I had low expectations based on the Mickey rule, but he started 41 of 64 possible games for them including 31 of 32 the last two years. The guy earned the right to play next week as far as I'm concerned.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Initially reading the quote I was going to state something negative towards Garrett but it sounds like Garrett is showing favoritism towards starting the new guy while saving face with the 2nd rd pick.

Praxit

Reaction score
Su'a-Filo will start the rest of the year there. When Williams is ready, Martin goes to the bench.
..lol.. yup, JG just probably just saying that. Deep down he knows Flo....whatever he did, it worked. Right now, work the formula that worked.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Players with the attributes that fit the position they play. Not players playing without the neccisarry properties like Williams. I think he'd be better at RT and Collins would be better at LG. We are forcing a round peg into a square hole with Williams at this point.

Not every pick works out, even with Will McClay doing the scouting. Williams will be a bust at LG.

Stop trying to force a player into a new position just because of some struggles. How did it work out for Collins? How about Byron Jones?

Williams needs an offseason to add some weight - not every player comes out of college playing like Martin.

I was one of the few on here who said it was idiotic to move a mauling guard like Collins to RT for him to play with more finesse. It made no sense then, it makes no sense now.

I also see no reason anyone would think Williams will be a good RT - there is nothing there that says this. He's a guard and now we're stuck with Collins at RT who will be a disappointment his entire career.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Every scouting report I read had him as a guard
Other sources say he doesn't have the base strength to play G as you've seen while Collins is one bad dude in that category. They may want him to play G or C but he just isn't there yet.

A simple Google search found scouts thinking he could play T in the NFL.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Stop trying to force a player into a new position just because of some struggles. How did it work out for Collins? How about Byron Jones?

Williams needs an offseason to add some weight - not every player comes out of college playing like Martin.
? He's a tackle and has always been a tackle. Collins is a G and looked way better there. Why are we playing guys out of position? If he is deemed not goid enough at RT to play there, he should sit until he can play LG at this level.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Williams is the future
He’s gonna start when healthy
It’s nothing that most teams don’t do unless a guy falls on his face
Players learn by playing, not watching
Learning is one thing, Strength training is another.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
? He's a tackle and has always been a tackle. Collins is a G and looked way better there. Why are we playing guys out of position? If he is deemed not goid enough at RT to play there, he should sit until he can play LG at this level.

He's not a tackle in the NFL....

Again, there is very little to show he can play that position at an acceptable level. I was right about Collins and I'll be right about Williams - he is not a tackle, the same way Collins isn't a tackle.

You folks love destroying young players. Worst part? The coaching staff you folks hate on so much, you folks align with them more often than not. Which says a lot really.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He should go run that by Tyron Smith and see what he thinks. Smith looked a hell of a lot more comfortable out there next to the veteran than he has all season alongside the rookie.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Learning is one thing, Strength training is another.
All I do is strength training... with my mi-eee-iii-eee-iii-nd.

I probably did a terrible job of trying to sing via textual (hah! inuendo! not for you... just thought that was funny) display.
Going to have to workshop this...

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
He's not a tackle in the NFL....

Again, there is very little to show he can play that position at an acceptable level. I was right about Collins and I'll be right about Williams - he is not a tackle, the same way Collins isn't a tackle.

You folks love destroying young players. Worst part? The coaching staff you folks hate on so much, you folks align with them more often than not. Which says a lot really.
You folks? Destroying? That's exactly what is happening to him right now. He's getting abused at times.

I think it would help him tremendously. You're so sure about Williams because of arm length? There's more to it than that man. His best shot is at Tackle IMO. I don't think he can add the core strength neccisarry to stick and even if he does, it makes him slower and not as agile. 2016, the guy was good enough to play RT in the NFL. Maybe that knee zapped his ability? We will see...

mardwin

Reaction score
The Eagles have a nasty front 7 and the O-line looked dominant minus Collins playing like his sorry self.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
[
You folks? Destroying? That's exactly what is happening to him right now. He's getting abused at times.

I think it would help him tremendously. You're so sure about Williams because of arm length? There's more to it than that man. His best shot is at Tackle IMO. I don't think he can add the core strength neccisarry to stick and even if he does, it makes him slower and not as agile. 2016, the guy was good enough to play RT in the NFL. Maybe that knee zapped his ability? We will see...

No, his best shot is conditioning in the offseason and if he still doesn't have the strength to compete - he's 100% NOT fit for the NFL and will be a backup, at best.

His problems aren't even just strength - that can be fixed. He also has balance issues, just like Collins had. Then they get put on the outside and get blown off their feet.

This isn't college where they're going up against paper thin LB's and DE's like college Randy Gregory - Williams will get his butt rocked at RT. He either makes it at guard or he's not going to make it in the league.