Garrett not ready to commit to new LG over Williams

Chrispierce

Reaction score
What is Garrett watching? Williams is horrible. They would have lost that game with him in there. Give me my Filo at LG. This shouldn’t even be a discussion point,but with Garrett apparently it is.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He won’t get stronger till the off season but he’s learning from valuable playing time and not playing near as bad as some think
Perhaps not, but if you can improve the O-line, don't you owe it to your QB and the rest of the team to do it?

conner01

Reaction score
He came out in the 2014 draft. Drafted 33rd overall so someone thought he was good at the time. I had low expectations based on the Mickey rule, but he started 41 of 64 possible games for them including 31 of 32 the last two years. The guy earned the right to play next week as far as I'm concerned.
I think he will play next week
But when healthy I think Williams will play
He was a good addition with experience and a good power type player
The Texans spent a second rnd pick on him and moved on after two seasons as a starter

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Perhaps not, but if you can improve the O-line, don't you owe it to your QB and the rest of the team to do it?

Right? How do we utilize a threat like Cooper without Dak having to worry about when Williams is going to go awry during a game?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Two OL who can play. Which to start? Pretty good problem to have. One a veteran with experience and power, the other a youngster with speed youth and plenty of upside.

Much better to have this problem than choosing the lesser of two evils, two players not very good.

Bodes well for next year with Tyron Smith, C Williams/Xavier Su'a Filo, Fredbeard/Looney, Martin, and Collins. Starting out with 7 OL who can start. Pretty nice to have going into the draft next year.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Garrett has a permanent case of the Wuss-itis.

kevm3

Reaction score
And you wonder why Dak and this offense is struggling
Williams stays getting blown up and now Dak is jittery after first Chaz Green and now undersized and Green Williams, but let's keep him out there as a starter... just cuz

superonyx

Reaction score
Williams is the future
He’s gonna start when healthy
It’s nothing that most teams don’t do unless a guy falls on his face
Players learn by playing, not watching
This is complete nonsense.

If a guy they signed off the streets can come in and outplay you then he has fallen on his face.

Teams that appoint players positions are the losers. Winning organizations play the best players on the team.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Why not swap La'el Collins and Williams?
If we think he's too undersized to play left guard he's certainly not going to get a right tackle spot mid season. I think his best bet is to hit the weight room, bulk up as much as he can before season's end, and learn where he's already been playing. In the offseason maybe they'll re-evaluate (or maybe the next HC will ;)). I don't think they'd feel comfortable trying to switch two players at once until they are out of contention officially. Even then, I'm skeptical they'd want to experiment with protections unless they are also no longer starting Dak too and don't care about the backup getting mauled while they learn.

CB61

Reaction score
Maybe we should go back to the Tom Landry days and rotate the guards in and out as far as sua filo and Williams That's How Landry taught and also sent the plays in that was the main reason but I like that idea letting Williams play some but watch a veteran do it too

conner01

Reaction score
Sure but I don’t think it was that much improved
We had a goid running
This is complete nonsense.

If a guy they signed off the streets can come in and outplay you then he has fallen on his face.

Teams that appoint players positions are the losers. Winning organizations play the best players on the team.
if he was that good why was he replaced by the team that drafted him
It wasn’t like in many cases about the money
We aren’t paying him that much

Kaiser

Reaction score
Garrett just being prudent. Let's see more of filo before rushing to conclusions.

Nahh, that would ruin a 20 page thread.

Garrett has no reason to annoint Sua-Filo and every reason to tell him to keep working his butt off in practice if he wants to start. But I'll post this again when this thread hits 20 pages.

CWR

Reaction score
Williams is the future
He’s gonna start when healthy
It’s nothing that most teams don’t do unless a guy falls on his face
Players learn by playing, not watching

I agree mostly, but you cant learn strength.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Players with the attributes that fit the position they play. Not players playing without the neccisarry properties like Williams. I think he'd be better at RT and Collins would be better at LG. We are forcing a round peg into a square hole with Williams at this point.

Not every pick works out, even with Will McClay doing the scouting. Williams will be a bust at LG.

Williams has actually been fine for a rookie olineman. He is better suited to be a T, particularly this year. I think he replaces Collins in 2020.

Su'a-Filo is interesting, though. We have him signed next year too. If he works out between him and Looney we will have solid backups at LG. And a decent player to play LG.

But next year, I see them starting Williams at LG to further develop him. That might not happen if Tyron's health is iffy, and they want to be really solid at T. Long term, I'm not sure if it's better to let Williams train for T or play at LG and then switch. Even Looney is looking like a very solid option at LG.

Bottom line is I'm not down on Williams for the future, I'm up on our depth on the oline.