Garrett should of been fired after Rams vs Cowboys Divisional Round

MikeB80

Reaction score
This is false.

Jason Garrett and Wade Phillips should have been fired the monday morning after the loss at Philadelphia in week 17 of the 2008 season. Not because they lost and missed the playoffs with a ridiculously talented roster but because no one on the staff including the two top guys could control the malcontents on the roster and allowed it to ruin the season. Romo's injury cost them two valuable games but ultimately it was about a locker room out of control.

Had they both been fired Jerry could have hired Mike Shanahan. This would have put Tony Romo in an offensive system almost perfectly matched to his skill set, this would have given Dallas a top end running game by at least 2010 or 2011. Shanahan didn't take crap from anyone and was the guy in charge. With Demarcus ware and anthony spencer in their prime he could have hired a good defensive coordinator and spent his time fixing the offense and most importantly his calling of plays on gameday would have been so much better.

It was an incredible opportunity to match scheme to our talent and they blew it. I also think jerry should have fired switzer after 96 and done whatever it took to hire Parcells in 97. 8, 22 and 88 would have had another shot at a title.

oh well. They almost pulled it off in 09 anyway. It was a big mistake from the jones family though. Mike Shanahan was the perfect fit for this team and was available. It should have been a no brainer.

Instead a number of fantastic players careers were wasted while the jones family tried to prove they were right with garrett.

Last edited:

Golfzilla77

Reaction score
i agree the staff should have been fired after that Rams game; that was ridiculous how the "new" coach totally outsmarted the "veteran" coach. Having said that, the NFL was MAJORLY in the tank for getting the Rams to the Super Bowl that year, so i've got the nagging feeling there was more going on than meets the eye during that game

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Garrett should not have been hired.

He was only a QB coach for 1 year. He was not the real OC in 2007 as the offense was really coordinated by Tony Sparano, David Lee, and Ray Sherman all of whom were former OC with Garrett on the field and Sparano in his ear.

During the infamous 2010 season when Garrett was interim HC it was Ray Sherman that was OC when the cowboys went 5-3 of the last 8 games to finish 6-10 Son of a Bum out and Garrett in as permanent HC.

He finally got play calling taken away after 2 in a row 8-8 seasons in 2013 by Bill Callahan and then Bill was stay running game coordinator (see Demarco Murray win NFC player of the Year), and Linehan as passing game coordinator and play caller going 12-4. Callahan leaves and the Cowboys fall to 4-12 without Callahan and Murray.

Jerry Jones let Jason Garrett learn on the job as a OC and he failed and learn on the job as a HC and he failed. Jason Garrett was a total waste of time and talent by the Jerry Jonesboys.

johneric8

Reaction score
This is false.

Jason Garrett and Wade Phillips should have been fired the monday morning after the loss at Philadelphia in week 17 of the 2008 season. Not because they lost and missed the playoffs with a ridiculously talented roster but because no one on the staff including the two top guys could control the malcontents on the roster and allowed it to ruin the season. Romo's injury cost them two valuable games but ultimately it was about a locker room out of control.

Had they both been fired Jerry could have hired Mike Shanahan. This would have put Tony Romo in an offensive system almost perfectly matched to his skill set, this would have given Dallas a top end running game by at least 2010 or 2011. Shanahan didn't take crap from anyone and was the guy in charge. With Demarcus ware and anthony spencer in their prime he could have hired a good defensive coordinator and spent his time fixing the offense and most importantly his calling of plays on gameday would have been so much better.

It was an incredible opportunity to match scheme to our talent and they blew it. I also think jerry should have fired switzer after 96 and done whatever it took to hire Parcells in 97. 8, 22 and 88 would have had another shot at a title.

oh well. They almost pulled it off in 09 anyway. It was a big mistake from the jones family though. Mike Shanahan was the perfect fit for this team and was available. It should have been a no brainer.

Instead a number of fantastic players careers were wasted while the jones family tried to prove they were right with garrett.

Please keep in mind that as the original poster of this thread that I agree that Jason was severely under qualified to be given a head coaching position in the first place. I don't think many were happy about that when it happened but we held our noses and hoped for the best. My thing was is after all we have been through as a franchise it was a HUGE slap in the face that Jerry had the nerve to bring Jason back after the Ram's debacle. And I do want to make one more point, I don't believe it's as much on the players as many on this forum like to tout! The very nature of the Helter Skelter style of play our cowboys exhibited can only be explained by poor and inconsistent coaching. Just a week before we faced the Rams we totally dominated the Seahawks running game which no one thought we would do. We suffered under Garrett, it was a mess. He was capable of coaching us up one week to look like world beaters only to look like a high school team the next week, this is by definition bad coaching.

SSoup

Reaction score
Reasonable minds can disagree about whether Garrett should've been long gone before the 2018 season in the first place. But I have to disagree that the way that season ended was any kind of huge watershed moment proving Garrett to be particularly unfit based on our offense, like the original poster seems to be suggesting.

The Rams' defense was no joke during their Super Bowl run. Nobody's offense had much success against them. Sean Payton's offense scored only 1 measly more point against them than we did, and the Patriots scored only 13 points against them. Our offense's 22 points against them was on par with legit well-coached playoff teams during that run.

It's our defense that wasn't on par. The Saints held them to less points than we did, got 1 sack and 1 takeaway. The Pats held them to only 3 points, got 4 sacks, and 1 takeaway. We gave up too many points, and we of course got 0 sacks and 0 takeaways.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is false.

funny stuff , just because you FEEL this little hypothetical plan born from deep hindsight seems great IN your head, doesnt make it so..

could woulda shoulda blah blah blah, if and butts ...keep dreamign..lol when you wake up realize time travel hasnt been invented yet anmd its 2020 and nothing that did happen can be changed nor can hypothetical past history can be proven..

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I was so pissed after the Atlanta game, sitting and watching his QB getting sacked like that repeatedly. He should have been canned that day.
I totally agree with your assessment. Turnstile made the man across from him money that game. JG did nothing to effectively change that scenario. I was so freaking angry that I was beside myself almost throwing the remote into the tv. Never saw such a thing in my life of watching football let alone Cowboys football.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Like I've said numerous times already. If people can't handle the discussion, they can easily avoid the thread.

I know that some have a hard time discussing bad Cowboys news.
True,, some of Cowboys Nation cant afford expensive psycho therapy,, this forum provides a free service to help all that have been mentally damaged by the Red Headed Genius.
Please let us continue to vent our frustrations!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
True,, some of Cowboys Nation cant afford expensive psycho therapy,, this forum provides a free service to help all that have been mentally damaged by the Red Headed Genius.
Please let us continue to vent our frustrations!

The extent to which our Cowboys were so ill-prepared to compete in that game was somewhat devastating, to say the least. Injuries to the OL were certainly a big factor in that abomination of a contest, though. The Rams fans surely must have been giddy with delight for a while there. ;)

ghst187

Reaction score
Loserelli should’ve been run out of town then too and not given a team plane ride home.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
JJ should've hired a HC first and let them pick their OC. Odds are we never talk about Garrett if that happens.